Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Hve any of you with a GIANT breed ever used a Dura Whelping Box??
 Tit for Tat
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/16/2008 7:45:59 AM reply with quote send message to Tit for Tat Object to Post   

We find out on Monday if Promise is pregnant and I am considering buying a Dura Whelping Box with extension for her. I was a bit concerned when I read that the side rail is used to help give support to the walls of the box. I would like to know if any of you GIANT breed owners have used these boxes and had any problems with them or if you disliked anything about them.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2008 3:40:52 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

I can't offer advice, but yay for Promise puppies!!!
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/16/2008 4:33:17 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Would have not gone any other way! Don't have a Giant Breed, what I consider a medium sized breed. Purhased the large, 4'x4' and it was large enough for Mom and 9 Pups. If the box gets too small for all the pups, would suggest moving them to a crate.

The rails do provide stability, but in less than 8 weeks they will be able to get out anyway, and use the rails to catapult themselves out. What size were you thinking about? I have picts of a Weim, about 70# in the 4x4 with 9 pups at different stages.

It's all for the breed, Weims.

edited to try and fix links for picts.
 Tit for Tat
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 6:56:47 AM reply with quote send message to Tit for Tat Object to Post

Thanks for your reply. Nice litter of puppies!!

We have Great Pyrenees. That was why I was asking about Giant breeds and the stability of the box. I also found it interesting that you said that the puppies would be able to get out of this box by 8 weeks. When Michael was 8 weeks, I put him in an X-pen his first night and he climbed out of that in a matter of a few minutes! Everytime I put him back, he was out in minutes! That's when the crate came out!! LOLs!happy :)
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 7:21:40 AM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

LOL, by 8 weeks we came home to fine 9 Weim pups scattered all over the kitchen. That's when the crate came out. I wouldn't bother with the extention, how fast do you need this as I looked all over the web for prices. Surprisingly, the price can very greatly. Won't take long but can dig up the website that was cheapest for you. They were real prompt on delivery too.

WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 3:29:01 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

This was the site I ordered mine from. Might want to check around, has been about a year someone might be cheaper.

www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R106-001

A couple of picts of the mom and litter still loading.

WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 4:29:34 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

Not a commercial, just great pictures.

Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 6:47:47 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

awww, I LOVE their little cat collars happy :) Took a look at the site, for the OP- there's an Extra Large size too, which is even bigger than the one posted for not that much more. Should be plenty of room for even the giantest of giants happy :) -Neb
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 7:02:11 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

LOL, the bells were from cat collars, but that was the second set of collars for the nine. They grow fast and you have to tell them apart somehow.
 JLK Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2008 8:31:26 PM reply with quote send message to JLK Goldens Object to Post

Here is a mastiff breeders website for welping boxes there was another one I saw too let me see if I can find it.

www.angelfire.com/biz4/MastiffBreeder/whelpbox.html

Here is a great dane in this one

www.mcemn.com/WB-WhelpingBox.html
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2008 6:51:44 AM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

JLK, thought about that myself. IF you have the tools for assembly the price for materials might come in lower than DuraWhelp. Now you have a whelping box that it takes two people to move, better make sure you have that wood sealed COMPLEATLY or it will stink after a week. DuraWhelp box is light, durable, folds for storage in it's shipping box, with the use of paper or piddle pads cleanup is a breeze. Looked at both of those sites and others, have the tools for assembly and decided after some thought just to spend the $$$$. My better-half was a skeptic but after she recieved it, assembled it with one screwdriver, she was impressed also. I also had me working out of town in mind, I can't even imagine what a 4x4 box made out of plywood weighs, let alone one for a mastiff or a dane.

Tit for Tat
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2008 7:07:58 AM reply with quote send message to Tit for Tat Object to Post

I want all of you to kn0ow how much I appreciate the time and effort all of you have put into writing on this forum. I'm considering all options at this point. Thank You!!
 Terali Labs
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2017 11:47:10 AM reply with quote send message to Terali Labs Object to Post

I'm very happy with my DuraWhelp box. My only complaint is that if you have a question you can not get anyone to answer. I've called, left voice messages and sent emails. From the telephone recording, it sounds as though this is a one person company!!! It truly would behoove them to return phone calls or answer emails!!!!!!!!
 Terali Labs
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2017 11:49:48 AM reply with quote send message to Terali Labs Object to Post

posted by Terali Labs
I'm very happy with my DuraWhelp box. My only complaint is that if you have a question you can not get anyone to answer. I've called, left voice messages and sent emails. From the telephone recording, it sounds as though this is a one person company!!! It truly would behoove them to return phone calls or answer emails!!!!!!!!
Sorry, forgot to mention that the company I ordered it from was BreederBase.com
 Karen RR
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2017 12:38:28 AM reply with quote send message to Karen RR Object to Post

Here is a suggestion. I have always used a hard plastic kiddie pool. They come in different sizes and are a dream to clean and disinfect. And, they are reasonably priced.
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
2/7/2017 11:03:06 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

One thing to keep in mind. There has been some research into the increase of Hip Dysplasia and they believe that a surface that is slippery can be a major factor in the pups not being able develop normal hips.

Unfortunately I don't have the study details but googling might find it.

Steph

Replies in this thread : 15

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.