Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 19

Author Topic : Question On Folding Metals Crates
 Ixion
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/24/2008 10:58:50 AM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post   

I am planning on splurging and buying a folding metal crate, they are so convienant (and used the ones my friends have and love them!) but have a couple questions.

Here is the crate I'm thinking on getting....

www.eastcoastcrates.com/folding.html

1) Is East Coast Crates the only ones that make them?

2) What size would you get? I'm hoping to be adding a male afghan to my household in 2010, so am wanting to make sure it is big enough for him too. Calypso is about 28 inches at the shoulder and I'm sure her male puppies will probably be about 30 inches at the shoulder as a guess. I was thinking a 700 would be what I should be looking at, or do you think a 600 would work???

Thanks for the help!

Nicole
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/24/2008 11:08:36 AM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

Do some more research into the company. East Coast has huge waiting lists for thier crates, and I have talked personally with people who ordered crates over 2 years ago, and still have no crate, and cant get ahold of anyone for a refund.
Not sure if Tejas is still in business? There are a couple other companies that make them, but mostly they do the smaller sizes. (pm me and I'll send you the links when I get home if you want...)

If you ever plan on flying a dog, most airlines wont fly 700s, and a lot of planes cant even fit a 500, so that is a consideration as well.

Check out the yahoogroup dogshowstuff, there are occasionally people selling used East Coast, Bob McKee and Tejas crates on there. You can always post that you are looking for one as well and maybe someone will have one to offer you.

Do have to agree though, I love the aluminum crates, although cant seem to find enough ways to justify the expense to my husband!! LOL.
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2008 11:43:37 AM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

posted by Grandiose
Do some more research into the company. East Coast has huge waiting lists for thier crates, and I have talked personally with people who ordered crates over 2 years ago, and still have no crate, and cant get ahold of anyone for a refund.
Not sure if Tejas is still in business? There are a couple other companies that make them, but mostly they do the smaller sizes. (pm me and I'll send you the links when I get home if you want...)

If you ever plan on flying a dog, most airlines wont fly 700s, and a lot of planes cant even fit a 500, so that is a consideration as well.

Check out the yahoogroup dogshowstuff, there are occasionally people selling used East Coast, Bob McKee and Tejas crates on there. You can always post that you are looking for one as well and maybe someone will have one to offer you.

Do have to agree though, I love the aluminum crates, although cant seem to find enough ways to justify the expense to my husband!! LOL.

LOL Probably why I don't see myself getting married anytime soon! My boyfriend would probably faint if he knew I had spend that much on a crate. razz :p If I didn't have a coated breed, I don't think I'd be as concerned about them, but having a way to be able to groom my afghans on top of them and have a crate to be able to use at the show, would be nice to condense what I need to take with me to a show, plus I like the idea of being able to use it for flying them if I need to (which I don't see myself doing often but would definitly like to know that I can with it!)

I'll have to ask my friend what the size of the metal crate she has, it works perfectly for her male....I'll sign up for that yahoo group you mentioned and see what I can find there too! happy :) Good to know about the size 600 and 700's being possibly too big for shipping in....afghans thankfully are a leggy breed that can curl up pretty small! Both of my bitches generally curl up in a small ball at the back of the crates I use at home.

I'll PM you though, wink ;)

Nicole
 ArtisanKNL
Basic User

Basic User
9/24/2008 1:41:18 PM reply with quote send message to ArtisanKNL Object to Post

Tejas, East Coast are the big ones. There are some companies that make aluminum crates for working dogs, but they aren't as pretty.

Angel Crates are nice, i've only seen them in the small size, but maybe the manufacturer can make you a larger one if you call them. greyhoundcomb.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=16

My favorite are the oak crates. They are less expensive and probably heavier but they are gorgeous!

caninewoodcreations.com/
 Benboee
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2008 10:48:13 AM reply with quote send message to Benboee Object to Post

WOW, i love the wooden ones, but i think my German Shorthaired Pointers would chew their way out!!!

I dont know if we have anything like that here in the UK, maybe for smaller dogs, but i dont think there is anything for bigger dogs. They look wonderful

Pam
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2008 12:52:50 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

I like the wooden ones as well and hope to get a couple of them evenutally for in my house since they look better then airline crates, lol (also have seen some nice ones that resemble end tables in some dog catalogs I've considered too....)

I just picked up a Tejas folding crate (500 series) and can't wait to get it! laugh :D

Nicole
 ArtisanKNL
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2008 12:59:14 PM reply with quote send message to ArtisanKNL Object to Post

Was it the one on ebay?

I saw that and wanted to bid but . . too expensive!!
 JLK Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2008 6:32:23 PM reply with quote send message to JLK Goldens Object to Post

WOW you wont catch me spending that much on a crate they do make a crate top grooming table that fits on the top of crates and works great.

Jana
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2008 10:37:57 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

No....I ended up ordering one off of their website, the one for the ebay auction had already closed and I know I'll be using this crate for a long time.

Yes, they are pricy but I've used other crates of similar design and they are worth every penny if you show your dog a lot. I love to try and condense as much as I can to have less to carry to the setup, lol. Everything else I bring to the show either walks themselves or I can sling it over my shoulder, laugh :D I have a table top that I can put on top of a crate and hard plastic crates that do callapse pretty flat BUT I have found myself to be lazy and hate making more trips then I have to so I have that I don't use it that often except when I can park near my car (on top of that I currently drive a Neon.....not a lot of room in the trunk to pile a bunch of crap in, LOL). I have been borrowing my friend's metal crates at the shows.....but I'm tired of being a mooch and thought it was well worth the money to spend my bonus on, LOL.

Nicole
 hi-fi
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2008 5:43:11 AM reply with quote send message to hi-fi Object to Post

Wow I love those end tables! What a great idea.
 Tradewind Collies
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2008 5:57:00 AM reply with quote send message to Tradewind Collies Object to Post

Good luck....I LOVE Tejas crates! Who knows...if solo decides to become a special I may get him one. happy :)

Tawny
 Azure
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/26/2008 6:06:10 AM reply with quote send message to Azure Object to Post

Do you have trolley tables in the US?

They're basically a grooming table that folds down to a trolley on wheels. You can put all your stuff on it, wheel it in to the show and then remove all the stuff, put it up and hey presto - grooming table happy :)
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/26/2008 10:01:13 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

posted by Azure
Do you have trolley tables in the US?

They're basically a grooming table that folds down to a trolley on wheels. You can put all your stuff on it, wheel it in to the show and then remove all the stuff, put it up and hey presto - grooming table happy :)

Yep, I have one of those (well, similar at least, my grooming table has wheels and we use it as a dolly)
Problem is it takes up so much more room in the car...and when your like me and already have 2 or 3 400s or 500s packed in there, every little inch counts!! LOL.

Very jealous...maybe when Hubby deploys next year I can guilt him into buying me a Tejas...(never know! Last deployment he bought me a convertable!!)
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2008 10:33:49 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

I've seen the trollys too, but the metal crates fulfill everything I need. Can't wait to get it! laugh :D LOL Maybe you can con him into getting a tejas! Also the holidays are coming up laugh :D

Nicole
 Wagabund
Basic User

Basic User
11/6/2017 1:11:40 PM reply with quote send message to Wagabund Object to Post

Tejas Crates are awesome, but did you buy this full metal crate?
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/6/2017 8:19:01 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

You realize the post is 9 years old, right? Ixion is no longer on SD unfortunately.
 Targaryen
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/8/2017 4:05:36 PM reply with quote send message to Targaryen Object to Post

Impact makes collapsible aluminum dog crates, and you have the option of some really pretty colors. I have only seen the regular ones in person.

https://www.impactdogcrates.com/
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/9/2017 1:51:27 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Not sure if anyone who posted recently noticed that this post was from 2008 and that the original poster last visited showdog in 2016...
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/9/2017 2:15:43 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Yes I mentioned that a couple of posts above.
 INCROWD BOXERS
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2019 11:45:26 AM reply with quote send message to INCROWD BOXERS Object to Post

HAVE 3 LIKE NEW 600 FOLDING BOB MCKEE CRATES HAS GROOMING TOP-WITH POLE AND ATTACHMENTS HAS ALL THE GOODIES. CALL ANTHONY BERTOLINO 818 885-9374

Replies in this thread : 19

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.