Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Leasing a bitch...contract suggestions.
 SilverHope
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/18/2010 2:19:20 PM reply with quote send message to SilverHope Object to Post   

I have a breeder friend who wants to lease my lab bitch on her next season for a litter. I have never done this..I trust this person with my dog and know she will be looked after very well. BUT I need suggestions of what to put in the leasing contract.

I have no intentions of taking a puppy back in lou of the leasing fee. I dont know if I should work it like a stud dog and ask for half up front and the rest after the puppies are born or because we are signing a leasing agreement with the kennel club If I should be asking for the entire fee up front.

Is a leasing agreement like a litter registration where you dont have to send it in until the litter is actually born?? That would be the best way I think, to ask for some of the leasing fee up front and then the rest after the puppies are born and THEN sign the leasing agreement to be sent in. This is with the Canadian Kennel Club btw.

I just would like some ideas about what to put in the contract as well!!
Thanks guys your all so helpful!!
 SilverHope
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2010 2:30:11 PM reply with quote send message to SilverHope Object to Post

Ok disregard my question about litter registrations and Leasing agreements. I got that straightened out.

I just need ideas of what to put in the contract.
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2010 4:54:01 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

Think I would work it similar to a stud agreement. Normally with the people I know, the cost is the price of a pup or POL.

Half down, with the remainder due on conformation of pregnancy. A refund of only half of the deposit is done only in the event of the breeding has not taken. The only stipulation I would make sure was in the contract, in black and white with no shades of grey, would be that THEY are responsible for any and all Vet costs that are created for the Dam and the Litter from this breeding.

I sure hope you have thought of the possability of your dog having complications and not surviving the whelping. This is why I would put a minimum cost of replacing the Dam in this case. I would be darn sure they will be extra careful in the care of your dog in this situation, where she is off site and out of your home. Myself, the litter would be whelped at my house and then the extra costs of feeding/care the litter and Dam would also be a stipulation in my contract with all costs documented in black and white, with documentation to support this.

Hope this helps some.

It's all for the breed, Weims.
 SilverHope
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2010 5:43:56 PM reply with quote send message to SilverHope Object to Post

Thanks for the suggestions.

The breeder I am leasing her to has been breeding for a very long time, shes also and AHT. I know without a Doubt this dog will be looked after. I am fully aware of any complications and risks..it would be the same if I decided to breed her myself again we are also experienced. It wouldnt be the first time this breeder would make a run for an emergency c section. She has been amazing with letting me take her stud dogs home with me for any breedings and she knows I will take care of them as if they were my own and I know she will give my dog the same care. So the care and safety of this dog is not at all a concern to me, there are always risks regardless of whos house she whelps at, shes probably more qualified then I am anyways, shes got alot more experience under her belt.
Yes I thought lease price was pretty much the same as a puppy. Thats good to confirm thanks!
Yes, any costs associated with the breeding will all be looked after by the other breeder, stud fee, bitch and puppy upkeep and medical bills etc...
Anything else??
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2010 5:45:19 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

Weims makes a good point, make sure it's very clear that the leasor is the one shouldering any and all vet expenses, especially in the event that something should go wrong.
 Cordero
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2010 6:12:32 PM reply with quote send message to Cordero Object to Post

I would make sure the stipulations are in the contract for what-if she doesn't get bred.

Are you planning on breeding her the next time around? If so, I would make certain the contract states that there will not be a second breeding granted should the first not take. Etc.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.