Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Order of titles in a dog's name.
 RingMasters
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/17/2010 4:33:50 AM reply with quote send message to RingMasters Object to Post   

How are you supposed to tell which titles go where?

A couple huge long examples I saw the other day:

Multi CH. FAINA de Alacant-Bull, BSTT, IDT3, CCF III, CAL III, TAN, CGC, TDI

Red Star A' Havoc, SchH BH, AD, UKC FO, P1, IAPC TT, CGC

Does it not really matter?

R

Tresor
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 11:03:00 AM reply with quote send message to Tresor Object to Post

I dont think it matters.

Most people will do them from first earned to most recent, some will do from more important to less important. I dont really think it matters much.
 RingMasters
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 11:28:07 AM reply with quote send message to RingMasters Object to Post

Oh, good. happy :)
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 12:03:44 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

Actually, it does kind of make a difference in AKC; however, in UKC all titles should go before the dogs; names. In AKC all conformation and champion titles go before the name (prefix titles) and all performance titles with the exception of champion titles go after the dogs' names (suffix titles). I believe the performance champion titles follow the conformation champion title, in order of when they were earned and that all performance titles are listed in order of when they were earned. Lower iterations of a performance title are typically dropped in favor of higher iterations (RN is dropped in favor of RA) to keep the string shorter.

Certifications such as TDI or CGC are not titles and won't appear in catalogues, although they can be listed in advertisements and such following all of the titles. Parent club titles can be honored in catalogues at the superintendent's discretion and always appear following the official AKC titles.

I have no idea about other organizations . . .

Prefix Titles

www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm

Suffix Titles

www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm?page=2
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 12:32:23 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

In AKC (aside from the various Ch titles being prefixes and non-Ch titles being suffixes) it's order of the title being introduced by AKC. Like obedience is older than agility, so obedience titles first, then agility, and older agility titles before more recently created agility titles. I did hear somewhere that rally was put after obedience titles tho as it was included under obedience.

If you have a mishmash of varoius venues, well, it probably doesn't matter too much unless you're trying to list them in an entry form for one of the venues.
 RingMasters
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 1:09:38 PM reply with quote send message to RingMasters Object to Post

Oh, crud. sad :(
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 2:32:30 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

^lol^ , I hear ya. I'll start trialing in the spring and have no clue other than the obvious prefix/suffix.

TCrown happy :)
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 2:34:13 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

For me, I list them in the order that AKC does. For instance Taboo is currently a SC (lure coursing title) because lure coursing was introduced before agility, her future agility titles NA & NAJ would go after the SC and if I put an obediance title on her after those her name would then look like ZoSo's Forbidden Dream CD SC NA NAJ make sense? And if I earn titles in other organizations, I'd list those titles after the AKC title of the same type. So if she earned an ASFA Fch title I'd place it behind the SC since they are both coursing titles. wink ;)
 Lifeless Spirit Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 7:34:58 PM reply with quote send message to Lifeless Spirit Kennel Object to Post

posted by LoupGarou
Certifications such as TDI or CGC are not titles and won't appear in catalogues, although they can be listed in advertisements and such following all of the titles.
I have ALWAYS included CGC and TDI at the end of my dogs who carry those titles on my AKC entry, and it has always appeared in the catalogue behind their names.

Everyone is correct on the order of titles, oldest accepted sport to most recent, and most of the time a higher level title will replace a lower level, but not always.

-Rose-
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 7:39:40 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Duh, I could have just looked at my own dogs' title certificates to confirm that AKC rally titles are after the obedience titles, then comes herding, then comes agility. So rally is the exception to the "in order of event creation."
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/17/2010 7:42:05 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

To make it more confusing, you wouldnt list titles from other organizations on an entry form. So, for instance, if you are entering an AKC event, and your dog has agility titles from NADAC or USDAA, you would not include those titles, only the dogs AKC titles.

And CGC and TDI are not *titles* that are recognized by AKC, they are certificates, and will not be listed on a registration certificate or pedigree, and should not be included in a show catalog nor be listed on an entry form. If a Super decides to list it, awesome. But by AKC regulation, they should not be listing it. Same with "OFA"...its not a title, not a certificate, its a health testing registry. Never understood why people list that one like its a title that the dog earned.

Everyone else has pretty much summed up the order titles are supposed to go in, so I will leave that one alone happy :)
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 8:22:37 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

Slightly confused still...

Don't know if this is considered "hi-jacking" or not, but let's say if you have have an AXJ (AKCs excellent jumpers title) and then earn a MXJ (AKCs master excellent jumper title) would you have:

Blue Eyed Blondie AXJ MXJ (+ the titles before the AXJ I suppose, NAJ and OAJ)

or just

Blue Eyed Blondie MXJ?

and if it's the first choice then would the first earned title come first or the higher title?

Thanks! (and really hope that wasn't hi-jacking, PM me if it was and I'l wipe the post)

TCrown
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/17/2010 8:32:52 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

posted by TCrown
Slightly confused still...

Don't know if this is considered "hi-jacking" or not, but let's say if you have have an AXJ (AKCs excellent jumpers title) and then earn a MXJ (AKCs master excellent jumper title) would you have:

Blue Eyed Blondie AXJ MXJ (+ the titles before the AXJ I suppose, NAJ and OAJ)

or just

Blue Eyed Blondie MXJ?

and if it's the first choice then would the first earned title come first or the higher title?

Thanks! (and really hope that wasn't hi-jacking, PM me if it was and I'l wipe the post)

TCrown

It would just be Blue Eyed Blondie MXJ.

Higher level titles replace the lower level title earned prior to them. So if you have a CD and then earn your CDX, you would drop the CD and just list the CDX, not both. If you have a JH or JC, and then earn your SH of SC, you would just list the SH or SC.
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 8:54:40 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

Thanks so much for explaining... cleared it up for me happy :)

TCrown
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2010 9:01:12 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Yep to the "surplanting" lower titles as above. Tho if you have preferred titles as well as non-preferred titles in agility, you keep both on the dog's name, like my preferred girl has MX MXJ MXP MJP3 as she was initially in regular classes then moved to preferred as she'd never get the rest of her MACH doubleQ's due to constantly knocking bars at her normal jump height.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2010 5:55:34 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I do what Ixion does. Although like others have said there isn't an exact right or wrong way. AKC has a specific order they list all their titles. When you look dogs up online, or see them printed on pedigrees, they're always in the same order by sport. And since AKC is my breed's main registry and competitive venue, I use that as a baseline. Any other titles they earn from other organizations go after the AKC titles of the same or similar sport. So ASFA coursing titles I list after the AKC coursing titles. (Even though ASFA came before AKC coursing.) And I also list racing titles after coursing titles, as it's a very similar activity for the dog. (Just like rally and obedience were put together.) Agility titles from other venues I would list after the AKC agility titles. And then after all "official" titles, I do list the other various certificates/achievements that organizations/breed clubs might award. (CGC for example)

UKC is an exception, they put all their titles BEFORE the dog's name. So I do that with all UKC titles. There is also a specific order. Titles earned first are closest to the name, then titles earned after are listed in order of when the dog earned them going further and further from the name. (doesn't matter what sport) So the title on the far left of the name is the most recent title earned. The title to the far right BEFORE the name is the first title earned in UKC. When you earn a higher level of the same title, you drop the lower title but leave it in the same place in order of the name. So if a dog earned a conformation CH, then earned a weight pull title, they would be UWP CH Spot The Lightning Dog. However if they later earned their agility title, and then earned the conformation grand title, it would be UAG1 UWP GRCH Spot The Lightning Dog. The conformation title stays in the "first" spot, but is replaced by the higher award.
 Vizslamomma
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2012 10:31:41 AM reply with quote send message to Vizslamomma Object to Post

Just an FYI for all the questions about listing the CGC "title" on entries, in catalogs and on your dog's pedigree:

As of January 1, 2013, Canine Good Citizen® will become an official AKC TITLE that can appear on the title records of dogs registered or listed with AKC.

Dog owners may list the suffix, “CGC” after the dog’s name. Since the program began in 1989, CGC has been considered an “award,” meaning that it has not been listed on a dog’s title record. As a result of frequent requests for AKC to include CGC as a title, this exciting change will begin January 1, 2013.

Hang on to you passing paperwork and mail it in after January 2013. happy :)
 Hazygate
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2012 2:36:14 PM reply with quote send message to Hazygate Object to Post

posted by Wildsyde
Yep to the "surplanting" lower titles as above. Tho if you have preferred titles as well as non-preferred titles in agility, you keep both on the dog's name, like my preferred girl has MX MXJ MXP MJP3 as she was initially in regular classes then moved to preferred as she'd never get the rest of her MACH doubleQ's due to constantly knocking bars at her normal jump height.
LOLOL Unless you are talking about grand champion and then for some reason AKC lists them as GCH CH.

Which I refuse to do when I enter them anywhere. The CH is a prerequisite for the GCH so why mention it.

Elizabeth
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2012 2:43:51 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

posted by Hazygate
posted by Wildsyde
LOLOL Unless you are talking about grand champion and then for some reason AKC lists them as GCH CH.

Which I refuse to do when I enter them anywhere. The CH is a prerequisite for the GCH so why mention it.

Elizabeth

True....I don't know WHY they do that.....
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/15/2015 1:17:44 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So...I realize this post was from long ago, but I was googling this question tonight and the showdog forum was the first suggested sight to pop up.

My question is:

1. So, my dog has earned both UKC and AKC performance titles and I noticed when we got our UKC performance titles that they listed them before his name (always thought that was reserved for CH titles only.) Based on what someone said above, would they be displayed as follows?

UCD URO1 Pete CDX GN RE CGC (of course, now CGC can be listed as a title...an update since the original posting.)

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 6/15/2015 1:21:42 AM
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/15/2015 11:37:34 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

That would be correct happy :)

Replies in this thread : 20

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.