Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Source Questions
 Spike Show Stock
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/23/2013 10:57:53 AM reply with quote send message to Spike Show Stock Object to Post   

Its going to be a bit longer than I thought on my upgrade. My barn caught fire last night and I lost quite a few goats and 2 cows. So once the rebuild is up and going I will upgrade. Anyway, on to my questions. How do you guys keep from going into the negatives (money wise) when starting a fresh line? Do you add 2 males or just one? I plan to work with a new line of Redbones but not a certain color just yet. Do you throw in established lines ever so often or just stick with source dogs? Do you breed high SOP to high SOP or work on one stat at a time? I know genetics in RL but trying to it the hang of it on here.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/23/2013 12:28:45 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Well, I’ve been source breeding Dachshunds for a few months now and this is what I did/am doing…

First of all, I had somebody else make me my starters. And since I was only looking for LH (there are two other coat types), I only got two (*maybe* three) out, and all were females. I already had two high SOP studs and a high SOP female, so I was all right. Of course, Doxie studs are very reasonably priced, so I didn’t have too much trouble with that.

I have more or less only bred mine to higher SOP dogs (or a few times a source stud to a high SOP female, but that wasn’t very often). There were a few times I’ve done it source to source, but not often. I haven’t the patience to breed only source, but I know of several people who do.

And I just breed high SOP and color…trait breeding is something I want to do in the future, but once I get LH up to show standard…which’ll be a while.

As far as not going into the negative…I have my salary options set to all sessions, which I sell every day, and no “real” salary. I’ve had other breeds in the past (and a few show dogs of those breeds right now), so I got a little money showing them. Right now I go between $500 and $1000, which is doable (as long as you don’t have high-priced studs you’re usingwink ;)).

Alexandria

Basic User

Basic User
7/27/2013 9:28:01 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Hi, i need some info about sorce dog on where to get them again.i also need a poingsgter can starter dogs by shown in dog shows.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.