Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Training Tips?
 Skylaos
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/30/2013 4:53:54 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post   

I have had my Greyhound mix for right over a year now and I really want to start training her. I got her at 6 months but she has had on going ear and some skin problems as well and it was hard for me to work with her a lot. Does any one have any tips? Also, what are some fun "tricks" to teach her. Right now she really only knows sit, lay, and attack birds. Also, what are some tips for socializing her? She is very afraid of most males for some reason even though she sees my dad and brother. I'd like to take her out for more walks but I'm scared she will be a little vicious if put into the right situation. She is spooked easily, I believe she has suffered some hearing damage from all her previous issues..
Thanks guys!
Also, Thanks for everyone who suggested at home treatments for her ears. I finally found an ear drop from the vet that works quite well when teamed with Aloe Cleanse Ear Wash/Rinse.
 Tresor
Basic User

Basic User
6/30/2013 6:56:41 PM reply with quote send message to Tresor Object to Post

If you are concerned she could be a bite risk when taken out of your home, I do strongly suggest finding a behaviorist to work with on those issues. Left untreated, they can get worse.

For fun trick to train at home, things like paw, touch an object with her nose, bow and roll over are fun.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2013 10:27:52 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

I second the above, but if that is not an option for you having the dog just hang out on the front porch/veranda with you can be a good stepping stone before going for a full walk. And like everything you can gradually build up to a long walk by first just staying near home and avoiding strange people/dogs.

grif,
 Skylaos
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2013 10:19:58 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post

Her main problem is people getting close to her home. She is fine at the vets office (strangely enough it makes my other dogs super nervous) and at new peoples houses. I am worried about taking her to the parks because people let their kids run up to any strange dog... She has never acted violent out in public it mainly happens when some one gets too close to her home. I'm hoping to take some classes with her when a local woman starts having them again. We miss out everytime because of her ear problems.
 Skylaos
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2013 10:23:01 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post

I've also been training her in the front yard. She is on a trolley wire/tie out connected to my carport at all times though just incase. We rarely have people walk down our street but this way she can see the neighbors. She is never mean towards them she really doesn't seem to notice them at all most days.

Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2013 9:03:32 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

"I am worried about taking her to the parks because people let their kids run up to any strange dog"

Parks and particularly off-leash parks are not good places to socialize your dog or to take untrained dogs. Really I would only take a mature, well socialized, well trained dog to them.

You should be walking her on a leash on roads or wide trails. Walks should also have some structure not just letting her do whatever she wants.

grif,
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2013 12:13:39 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

Sometimes,agility training helps wether you plan to compete or not.If your dog is having an issue with confidence,which is possable,agility training will help boost her confidence.Will also help her burn off nervous energy.
 Skylaos
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2013 10:45:33 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post

Thanks. I think I'm going to ask if this Lady can do some private obedience lessons with her just to kind of get her comfortable. I think she would be a fantastic dog if she was trained a little better. It only took 3 days to potty train her. She has only ever had one accident so maybe she will start to do really well.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2013 12:34:50 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

Hope everything goes well!happy :)
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2013 3:07:14 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If your worried how she may react to people You might want to think about either a jacket with "I'm in training please give me space" or something simmaler on it. Or a muzzle. Both should get people to give her some space and you will be able to relax a bit. As if your nervous she will know.

You can get herbal things to help with stress and fear as well. can also use pressure wraps or jackets like thunder shirts.

For my girls fear of strangers I take her into town or parks and just sit on a bench and watch the world go by. At first she wouldn't take treats when out in town but now she will.
Also take her to a training classes any classes so she gets use to being around people in a controlled way.
we do ring craft classes so she is around strangers and being gone over by people, we also reAsontly started flyball classes, she gets to have lots of fun around the people there, at first she barked but after a fee months was letting the man there hold her in position with no problem.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 7/5/2013 3:07:49 PM
 Skylaos
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 5:42:41 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post

I've never heard of flyball before. Is there a way to buy equipment? That sounds like something my dog may enjoy. She loves her tennis balls.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 11:59:04 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Teach hand signals, lure course. Never stop teaching come ,stay and wait. At her age she is probably more unsure of her size then anything else. Just like growing kids loose their balance and depth perception.
Tricks to learn would be to find things, touch the mark. Greyhounds need to run, find a closed in field- baseball, playground in a school yard. Pickup after your dog, so take bags for poo and treats for training.

If you are concerned about fear biting, use a soft muzzle, also rescue remedy works well to calm the nerves.
 Skylaos
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 9:41:23 PM reply with quote send message to Skylaos Object to Post

I have a good sized back yard for her to run in. I go out and throw balls for her and play tug of war and things. She gets a good amount of exercise. I've been taking her on walks up and down the street and train her in the front yard so the other dog doesn't try to jump in so far she is doing really well with basic sit lay and shake. I'm trying to work with giving her a ball as a reward because she will NOT stay with any kind of food involved at all. She is very grubby.

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing