Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Jogging With A Dog
 Ixion
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/9/2013 7:08:25 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post   

I am going to start a jogging routine for myself and am hoping to start work Taboo up to jogging with me. Structurally there shouldn't be any issues with this, being an afghan, she's build for running. happy :) But I have a couple questions I was hoping I could get answered. What is the best way to keep a dog cool? I live in Southern Arizona, where the highs right now are around 105 and the lows during the time I'll probably be jogging this time of year (early morning or around sunset) is can average anywhere from 85-95 degrees. Taboo is in full coat and I have no intention of clipping her down....but if I use a cool coat or something like that, is the cooler temp that close to their skin for extended periods of time ok? Trying to find a solution past hosing her down each time we go for a jog....Also one of the biggest issues with walking her, etc is she has always had a tendency to walk slightly behind or to lag....what is the best way to teach her to keep pace with me?

I appreciate the help! happy :)
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2013 10:00:08 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

I had a huggeee post about this, if you care to take a look it might answer some of your questions ^_^ big thing I found to keep cool is bringing a water bottle with me, and I always let the dogs soak their paws in cold water when we reach the park. It takes time to get used to that though if she doesn't like water. My Shih Tzu hates water but he was so hot, he gave to it quickly and decided to lay down. laugh :D

About the lagging, I found that if I say "good boy" once in awhile, Loki will speed up a bit to be beside me, of course I go Loki's pace. I would say, if she's lagging because of the heat and being tired, go her pace until she builds up stamina. Over time, Loki has learned to stay beside me, and he now runs with me off leash and always stays by my side. I guess it's a dog to dog thing.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2013 10:01:16 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

Also, run in the grass if possible. It's cooler than the road and sidewalk!
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2013 1:25:47 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Since she is such a long coated breed I would just soak her feet, face & tail before each run since water only works to cool them down if it can evaporate off the skin. Re wetting face & feet with cold water part way through can also help, as does running in the shade & on grass.

For keeping up, I've found periodically tossing a treat/toy slightly ahead of me can help, but that each dog has their own natural paces which they feel most comfortable running at for long durations so you may have to adjust to one of her natural paces.

grif,
 lbjohnson1
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2013 5:44:55 PM reply with quote send message to lbjohnson1 Object to Post

I would not run a dog with a cool coat. While it is good for keeping hot temperatures away from the body, it also prevents heat built up in the body from escaping as easily from what I understand. An Afghan owner gave this reasoning concerning lure coursing. Sorry no real advice other than early or late. I jogged with my Saluki a little bit, I found he likes to move faster than me, but I am slow. I ended up biking him instead. He tends to move slower when he's hot too.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2013 7:51:48 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

I don't understand why you would even want to put your dog in this situation at this time of the year? I'm not saying you are a "bad" owner but it doesn't make sense to me to start a programme like this in high summer! To me the risks out-weigh the benefits at this time of the year especially since I seem to recall from several of your previous posts that you live in the desert with temperatures well in excess of 100 degrees on any given day! I don't think it is especially healthy for you either sad :(. Just IMO
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2013 8:17:54 AM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by Acclamation
I don't understand why you would even want to put your dog in this situation at this time of the year? I'm not saying you are a "bad" owner but it doesn't make sense to me to start a programme like this in high summer! To me the risks out-weigh the benefits at this time of the year especially since I seem to recall from several of your previous posts that you live in the desert with temperatures well in excess of 100 degrees on any given day! I don't think it is especially healthy for you either sad :(. Just IMO

I started in summer too, but at the time I started, temps were about 70 - 80.

I kinda have to agree. You should start her when it's a lot cooler. I didn't think about where you lived (even when you posted.) If she's long hair and isn't used to running. (Unless you want to run for like 5 minutes..)

MY ADVICE that will knock out Acclamations, run early in the morning BEFORE it starts getting hot, or late at night. Make sure to bring mace with you just in case if so...
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2013 12:41:10 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Taboo is already used to physical activity in this heat yes? And this is a new jogging program for you? So you are likely to be starting VERY slowly and not for long distances? I'm thinking, couch to 5K for instance, takes awhile before you work up to running any sort of long stretches.

Since Taboo lives in the heat, and you're a beginner, I think it will be less of a worry than if you were say, in a hot spell, as opposed to the normal climate, or you were already an experienced runner and wanted to start her off at a faster or longer pace.

That said, running in the coolest part of the day is of course advisable in that sort of climate.

Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2013 9:09:12 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Yes, both Taboo and I are used to activity in our normal Arizona temperatures. Both of us probably have a higher tolerance to heat then a non native Tucsonian. wink ;) To put some peoples minds at rest, Taboo when I get off work actually goes out side in 100+ degree weather and sleeps with the sun beating down on her.....also if the mood crosses her mind she has no issues with running laps around the yard completely of her own desires. For those familiar with afghans, Taboo is VERY "raw boned" and keeps herself very lean and toned. She also is a lighter coated afghan and is actually at the moment just about down with her coat blow....so she has a completely bald belly, really low saddle line and pastern breaks.

Weather actually hasn't been bad when I've started going out in the evening twice, the monsoons just started rolling in and I've gone out shortly after the rain stopped (Monsoons will last until mid-late August)....have gone by myself right now until I can get myself into a rhythm. Hoping to start taking her with me next week and we can build up distance together.....I can already tell you I think she's in better running shape then I am, LOL!!

I appreciate the comments about the wetting the feet, face & tail. That seems like a good idea.....then just rewetting them down half way or so to help keep her cool. Thanks also for the ideas on helping to encourage her to stop lagging too. happy :) Unfortunately grass is at a high premium in this area and so no areas that I can take her too that has a lot of it.....usually parks have small amounts of it but regular areas next to the roads have the usual rock landscaping used up next to the sidewalk.
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2013 9:14:49 AM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Me above......timed out....forgot to add.....my current goal I'm working on is jogging for 30 minutes, right now I'm doing a 12 minute mile with a split pace (3.9 mph fast walk / 5.1 mph slow jog) and in that 30 minutes right now I've gone about 2.5 miles on my own. This is just to give you an idea of what it is she'll actually be doing with me. wink ;) On Sat & Sun since I don't work, I'll probably go out around 5:30-6 before the sun has a chance to rise over the mountains but during the week it's easier in the evenings....right now going out around 6:30 after the rain....on the days it doesn't rain going out near sunset at about 8 PM......so I am taking the best precautions I can for both of us.

-----
Last edited by Ixion on 7/12/2013 9:15:19 AM
 fudi2011
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2013 8:30:45 AM reply with quote send message to fudi2011 Object to Post

Have you considered some lightweight booties for her since you'll be on sidewalk? Faith does much better if she has them on since the ground isn't burning her feet. We are in Texas, so the heat and humidity here gets awful. I usually bring a camel back and will squirt Faith's tummy down if she's heating up. (Only part of her that isn't fluffy, gotta love a FULL coated aussie, lol.) Also for the treats Bil Jac makes frozen yogurt treats that you could stick in a ziplock and give occasionally to give something cool when trying to stop the lagging. happy :)
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 12:08:15 AM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

I have to wonder about Afghans, about their history and what they were built to do and in what heat they do it. Your climate is actually similar to the Middle East.

How long do you intend to jog at one time? If you're only going for 20 minutes in the morning when the sun is either just peeking over or not up yet, I don't think that's enough time to get heat stroke. I live in a similar heat during the summer here in BC Interior and I always preferred walking / running with my dog just before the sun came up. Night is possible too, but there's bears and cougars around here; plus, it is usually still hot from the day.

I've heard MustLuvDogs has a good cooling jacket. I don't know if it is actually cool to the touch or if it reflects sunlight or both.

This website says,

Before dressing Fido, soak the coat in water, wring it out, and it will keep your canine cool for up to three hours.

www.thestar.com/life/2008/06/05/keep_your_canine_cool.html
Reina
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 12:09:17 AM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

I was going to add, you could run with her part of the way and run the rest by yourself. Just make sure YOU drink up and stay hydrated as well. happy :)

griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 11:58:33 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Leidenschaftlich

I've heard MustLuvDogs has a good cooling jacket. I don't know if it is actually cool to the touch or if it reflects sunlight or both.

This website says,

Before dressing Fido, soak the coat in water, wring it out, and it will keep your canine cool for up to three hours.

www.thestar.com/life/2008/06/05/keep_your_canine_cool.html
Reina

Neither really, it works by the water being absorbed by the fabric and then evaporating. Water absorbs heat as it evaporates cooling the surface of whatever it evaporates from. Its the same principle as sweat evaporating from your skin keeps you cool. In the case of the cooling jacket it will cool the fabric of the jacket and the neighbouring hair (which will also get a bit damp).

However if your dog has a long dense coat this won't do much to actually keep them cool because the water won't reach the skin so there will be no direct cooling of the animal. The most effective way to keep a dog cool is to wet areas with short/thin or no fur as the water, evaporation and cooling will then occur at the skin cooling the animal down. That's part of the reason dogs/cats sweat through their paws - least fur.

ETA: I agree with the above that it is very difficult to get dehydrated/heat stroke in less than 30minutes. I will actually warn against drinking too much water because drinking too much water, several litres over a few hours, can be deadly: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

grif,

-----
Last edited by griffin on 7/15/2013 12:03:28 PM
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2013 3:15:01 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

Yes, my preference would be early in the morning around 5:30-6 if I could pull it off. I live up close to the Catalina Mountains and so it takes until 6:30 or so in the summer for the sun to rise above the mountains to really effect the temperature in the area. I started last week and have gone 3 times by myself. I tried taking Taboo with me on Saturday....she LOVED it. I took her out for only a mile right now. But everytime she sees me put on my jogging/running clothes and shoes. She's now sprinting to the front door staring at me ready to go, LOL!! I've been going out about 6:30-7 PM around dusk, and it seems to work so far for me. happy :)

posted by Leidenschaftlich
I have to wonder about Afghans, about their history and what they were built to do and in what heat they do it. Your climate is actually bsimilar to the Middle East.
Depends on the type of afghan you have. I personally have always preferred the desert type, which is a more lean bodied, elegent dog (both my girls are this type) and also as a general rule carry less coat. They were found more in the low lying foothills area of Afghanistan. Whereas the Mountain type is more stocky dog with more coat and found in the more rocky higher terrain areas of Afghanistan. The two types are commonly interbred BUT most afghans favor one style more then another. And for me, I look for breeders that focus primarily on the desert type since it's my preference. happy :) Afghans are known as endurance runners (vs sprinters like greyhounds) and are build to be able to run fast over uneven terrain. I personally can say I've witnessed athletic feats from my girls that have completely shocked me and I never realized a dog could do.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2013 1:22:43 AM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

In the end, it's your dog and you know what she is capable of doing happy :) Like said above, just make sure to keep hydrated and have fun!

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.