Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Meant to Post: Common Skin Issues in Aussies?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/15/2013 11:08:52 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

What types of skin issues (if any) are commonly associated with Australian Shepherds? Is there anything in particular, skinwise, they might be prone to getting? (i.e. skin allergies, dry skin, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 12:30:23 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Some might show allergies.Can be managed though,with treatment.I have heard of few cases of sarcoptic or demodex mange in the breed,but that one is definatly more serious to treat since many aussies have the gene that makes them extremly sensitive to ivermectin.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 12:31:42 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

Above poster was me!
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 2:58:09 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

Sarcoptic mange can be managed with Revolution treatments now too, not just ivermectin. The Aussie can also be tested for the MDR1 mutation if the parents were not tested for some reason (in the case of rescues).

Never had any skin issues with my guys, one of my parents' dogs had a severe flea allergy and frequently hot spots. Their current Aussie reacted poorly to Frontline and chewed himself raw in the area of application. At the veterinary clinic I work at, I think we only have one with seasonal allergies and that's it.
 fudi2011
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 7:45:47 PM reply with quote send message to fudi2011 Object to Post

My Aussie had demodex as a 7month old, it was around her eye. We used a cream(orangey/yellow and gross but I can't think of the name). She is Mdr1 normal/mutant, sooo we stay far away from that list of drufs i keep in my dog bag. ithe demodex cleared up quickly though, no allergies that I've noticed.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2013 10:24:10 AM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

Thats good to know there are other treatments now for it!happy :)
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2013 1:55:23 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

posted by Slipping Shadows
The Aussie can also be tested for the MDR1 mutation if the parents were not tested for some reason (in the case of rescues).
Is the MDR1 mutation responsible for the Ivermectin sensitivity?

Also, are there any heartworm meds out there that do not contain Ivermectin? (I know, I'm being lazy and asking the forum vs. looking it up online myself, but I figure someone on here knows...)

Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 3:13:39 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

Sentinel and Revolution are both heartworm preventatives that don't contain Ivermectin.

Replies in this thread : 7

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.