Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Breed Suggestions
 Anemois
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/19/2013 5:24:13 PM reply with quote send message to Anemois Object to Post   

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get into 1-2 breeds, and would like some suggestions. I don't really have any requirements, I just ask that you give me all the details/information that I need to get a good idea of the breed happy :)

Thanks!

Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2013 7:18:59 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I have two suggestions for you if you aren't looking for super popular breeds.

Smooth Fox Terriers[\b]
They are a really fun breed and most of the breeders are really friendly.
-Group placements
-Majors nightly
-Anything in the 88.5 and above range is finishable
-Stud and sale prices are really reasonable
-Puppy and dog sales aren't too hard to come by

Bouvier Des Flandres[\b]
I just got into this rare breed and I must say I fell in love.
-Majors present 3-4 times a week
-Group placements under certain judges
-You can finish almost anything above 90 if you put a little work into it
-Stud prices are great
-Tons of dogs for sale and most are great quality

Good luck with everything
~Lissa
 Boulder Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2013 7:19:51 PM reply with quote send message to Boulder Kennel Object to Post

That was me above

~Lissa
 Canyon View Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2013 8:11:59 PM reply with quote send message to Canyon View Kennels Object to Post

How about Bulldogs? There are only two of us that are really active within the breed, with a few that have one or two dogs they show and breed. I'm willing to help you out and know the other breeder would also help you out. I have litters coming Monday and Wednesday if interested.

Here is the other Bulldog breeder.

www.showdog.com/general/user_information.aspx?user=Willowhaven%20Kennels

Anemois
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2013 7:07:53 PM reply with quote send message to Anemois Object to Post

Great suggestions so far! Keep them coming happy :) Will hopefully decide on the breed(s) this week wink ;)
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2013 8:22:21 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

Basically, I'm going to offer up all three of my breeds (two in my other kennel)...I know, I know. But, they are all great breeds that I truly enjoy and definitely need help!

Dachshunds:
- SOPs are in the high 89s right now, with the highest (one of mine) is 89.90...or, at least that's the highest I have seen. Anything mid 89 and up, though, is finishable.
- There are TONS of colors and three coat varieties...WHs are the show SOP right now and Laffy-Taffy Kennels and I in my other account (Vivente) are working on raising LH and SH SOP, for if you are interested in that. Right now, LHs just broke into the 88s and I got an 86.80 SH born this morning.
- There are majors nearly every night, although entries have gone down recently as one breeder is a lot less active lately.
- Group placements are getting more and more frequent and I just placed 3rd in Show for the first time last week, so In Show placings are possible, too!
- We are a friendly bunch, but only about 2 breeders including myself are actively showing...a few basics will enter here and there, but for the most part, more breeders are very welcome!

Lagotto Romagnolos:
- This breed is definitely the rarest of the three and the one that needs the most help. I am currently the ONLY person entering dogs, but I am entering them nightly and without handlers so that all dogs are on an equal playing field.
- SOPs are kind of all over the place, with my highest being a 79.10. I believe Brocolitia had a puppy break 80 just recently, but anything 77.5 and up is finishable right now (without a handler, too!)
- There are a few colors and the more rare colors are practically nonexistent...Orange Roan and White & Orange are what is showable, with Browns, Off-Whites, etc. falling by the way side.
- No group placings yet, but once they improve in SOP, I will put handlers on more of them to see what they can do happy :)
- Despite being really rare, I have found it really rewarding to see them improve since starting and they are a breed that tends to make big jumps in SOP...great for if you are a new breeder and get a great one! happy :)

Portuguese Water Dogs:
- SOP is, generally, in the 87s but I have a bitch that is 87.90...87.15+ is doing very well in the show ring.
- Also, there are quite a few colors. White, Browns, and Blacks all are in pretty good shape, and Brown & White isn't doing too bad either...Black & White is a bit lower in SOP, but mainly because there aren't that many of them. So, if you want a color project, the other two suggested would be better.
- Including myself, there are only 2 breeders showing and even breeding, to the best of my knowledge. Artistique has been doing a great job and entering quite a few dogs each night, so we have been getting majors every night due to our combined efforts.
- Another breed that gets nice jumps in SOP...I am new to Porties, but have still been really lucky with nice dogs!
- Group placements are rare, but we never put handlers on our dogs so that could be a contributing factor.

If you are interested in any of these breeds (or maybe two lol), feel free to contact me! I have plenty of brood that I am more than willing to part with to a new breeder and I can also reserve puppies! I would love new breeders and competition happy :)

Amoroso
 Boulder Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 2:04:16 AM reply with quote send message to Boulder Kennel Object to Post

posted by Amoroso

Lagotto Romagnolos:
- This breed is definitely the rarest of the three and the one that needs the most help. I am currently the ONLY person entering dogs, but I am entering them nightly and without handlers so that all dogs are on an equal playing field.
- SOPs are kind of all over the place, with my highest being a 79.10. I believe Brocolitia had a puppy break 80 just recently, but anything 77.5 and up is finishable right now (without a handler, too!)
- There are a few colors and the more rare colors are practically nonexistent...Orange Roan and White & Orange are what is showable, with Browns, Off-Whites, etc. falling by the way side.
- No group placings yet, but once they improve in SOP, I will put handlers on more of them to see what they can do happy :)
- Despite being really rare, I have found it really rewarding to see them improve since starting and they are a breed that tends to make big jumps in SOP...great for if you are a new breeder and get a great one! happy :)

If you decide to join these I have a kennel starting up in them and I would be more than happy to lend you a broodie or some show able pups

~Lissa
 Airyah
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 6:26:28 AM reply with quote send message to Airyah Object to Post

Please consider Samoyeds! They're fun, but also challenging as there aren't many people who show samoyeds. I could help you out by selling you a few good girls to breed or a tester samoyed to show. I'm hoping if there's more people showing then they'll be an a lot more awarding breed! (Although they are already for me!) I'm source breeding in this kennel with showing on the side but in my other kennel, Figs Dreams I'm purely breeding for SOP and trait to show. PM me if you're interested or take a look at one of my kennels if you're interested in giving one sammie a shot at showing happy :) Highest SOP is a 91.8 at stud for $100. I keep my studs pretty low to give other users a chance to breed, but if you like I can lower it further. Finishable dogs range from the low 90's (90.2 or so) up to the high 91's. They're not fast at SOP raising but not slow either so if you leave the game for a few days you won't be left behind. If you have any more questions regarding the breed that I've forgot to mention, don't be afraid to PM me and ask me happy :) I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Emma
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 7:32:15 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Siberian Huskies:

SOP 94-95
regular group placements
occasional show placements
at least 2 shows/day with some entries but majors are becoming harder to come by.
Puppies & Studs no more than $100
Decent sized litters 5-9 pups
Lots of colours to play with although most are not show quality yet but there are a couple breeders engaged in colour breeding.

I have pups available at least once a week if your interested.

grif,
 Blazing Fury
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 9:02:37 AM reply with quote send message to Blazing Fury Object to Post

posted by Airyah
Please consider Samoyeds!
Yes. I support this! laugh :D I've just started Sammies, but already it has been super working with Emma and they are a really fun breed. happy :) I regret not being able to offer you a sammie or any services, but I'm still starting and Emma probably has better stuff then me anyways. razz :p

-Fury
 Brocolitia
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 10:19:16 AM reply with quote send message to Brocolitia Object to Post

In case somebody else want LR please contact me. Most of the time I forget to place them up for sale happy :)

Iris
 Anemois
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2013 7:47:27 PM reply with quote send message to Anemois Object to Post

Again, awesome suggestions! happy :) I'll most likely be choosing my breed(s) on Tuesday, so keep 'em coming!
 lbaggs
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2013 11:00:11 PM reply with quote send message to lbaggs Object to Post

Don't know if its to late but Silky Terriers, Japanese Chin and Bergamasco are all breeds that could use help they all have two people showing and maybe a one more breeding. I have show quality bitches available and color projects in all three breeds ( my bergs are under BSA rare breed). Studs are available at 50 a breeding and I show as much as possible so there are entries. Willing to work with anyone happy :)
Hope you choose one

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.