Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Alice! She exists!
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/25/2013 6:18:11 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post   

FINALLY got her photo! I haven't seen her in person in forever, but I'm loving how she has matured, even though she was only 17 months old in this photo. One single to go..... happy :)

Amyhappy :)
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/26/2013 12:55:24 AM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

What a great photo! That last single can be the hardest, sometimes...hopefully it comes quickly for your pretty girl! happy :)

E
 Boulder Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 1:13:45 AM reply with quote send message to Boulder Kennel Object to Post

Wow she is stunning! Huge congrats, can't wait to see her get that last single under her belt!

~Lissa
 House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 7:02:33 AM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

Gosh look at that elegant neck! happy :) She is stunning.
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 10:34:40 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Thank you everyone! happy :) Yes, Alice has always had a neck like a giraffe. Sadly, it does not come from my side. laugh :D She actually looks a great deal like her sire's litter sister, who was a top ten bitch, multiple BISS and group winner. Although we have no plans on specialing Alice, that bodes well for her in the whelping box. I am having a ball looking at boys for her!!!!

Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2013 10:30:01 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

We used to sing a song at Camp about an Alice with a neck like a giraffe. happy :)
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2013 6:23:59 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

Very pretty girl!

Just heard about Reign, so sad, remembered you had Irish Setters. They are so stunning.
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2013 6:42:10 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Yes, so sad about Reign. Hard to see them at top form go like that. sad :(

Thanks again for all the kind comments about Alice. Here is is looking a bit less "dramatic".

Disregard the "new champion" sign -- Monica had miscalculated her points.

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2013 1:51:22 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Your dogs are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2013 1:54:15 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

She is indeed stunning!I love her rich coloring!
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2013 2:36:12 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Very pretty girl!! happy :) I'm sure she will pick up her last single in no time. wink :)
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2013 4:31:09 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Thank you again -- you all are beyond kind! Alice is exactly what I hoped to get when I bred Nami to Patrick. As excited as I am about her finishing (which she could this weekend), I am three times as excited to pick out a baby daddy and have some puppies. laugh :D Planning is the most fun part of being a breeder, especially when those plans had worked out in the previous generation. happy :)

Again -- I really do appreciate your support and encouragement!

Riverwalk Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2013 9:23:34 PM reply with quote send message to Riverwalk Kennels Object to Post

Amy would it be an option to breed her to the same male that you had planned for Nami's last litter. I know you were really excited about that litter and had high hopes.. is Alice a good match for him as well?

Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 9:12:49 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by Riverwalk Kennels
Amy would it be an option to breed her to the same male that you had planned for Nami's last litter. I know you were really excited about that litter and had high hopes.. is Alice a good match for him as well?
Hi Riverwalk,

Good question! happy :) I will try to answer -- hope that it makes sense.

First, Mikey is now over ten, so he would only be available via frozen, so we would have to take that into consideration. The main dog I am looking at we would probably do frozen or fresh chilled, but he is extremely fertile. Not sure that Mikey's frozen has been used yet.

Second, Nami and Alice, while similar in proportion (both being rather long backed and lower on leg), are rather different in style. Nami is very much a "meat and potatoes girl". She is very substantial, lots of bone and body, and balanced, with very nice angulation, front and rear. Alice is a very "fancy" bitch, much more elegant (and as you can see in the first photo), extreme. Alice needs a dog that can give her more forechest and depth of body, while having more moderate rear angle and perhaps, more front. I would also give her a bit more bone. Now, when breeding Mikey to Nami, I was counting on him to "fancy" her up, much like Patrick did, as he is a very stylish dog. Personally, I don't think he has the overall substance and moderation that Alice needs. It's all a balancing act in breeding. While I love both Nami and Alice, they both lean a little bit too far one way -- Nami too coarse, Alice too overdone. Thus are the joys of breeding! laugh :D In Alice, I do love that I got that lovely overall silhouette, the neck and elegance -- that was the goal. In breeding her, I hope to get back to some middle ground. So I am looking at dogs that linebreed to stuff behind Patrick and Nami that have what I want for Alice, as mentioned before, without sacrificing Alice's lovely breed type. Oh and can't ever forget the neverending quest to get better head planes and depth of muzzle! sigh!

So.....maybe that is as clear as mud?! laugh :D Feel free to ask any questions, I don't mind at all.

PS: To define middle ground -- Tristan. He's the best I've ever bred, bar none. A little bit of the best of everything, God love him!!!! happy :)
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 9:18:37 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Sorry about the time out. The above was me!

AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 9:21:46 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Photo of Nami, just for comparison to Alice so you can see what I am talking about. She is not stacked the best in this photo, but you can see the differences.

Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 11:47:43 AM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Alice looks great Amy! You must be so proud of your babies! It seems like we were all just looking at their baby pictures...lol.

Looking forward to seeing who you pick for Alice as a match.

How is Mr. Tristan these days? And also Hudson, how is Nami's oldest boy?

What happened to Reign?
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 11:57:24 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Summerwind Kennels
Alice looks great Amy! You must be so proud of your babies! It seems like we were all just looking at their baby pictures...lol.

Looking forward to seeing who you pick for Alice as a match.

How is Mr. Tristan these days? And also Hudson, how is Nami's oldest boy?

What happened to Reign?

Thanks, Summerwind! They do grow up fast! happy :)

It will be fun with Alice -- just hoping she doesn't go off schedule and force us to go with Plan B (which isn't all that bad either). happy :)

Tristan is at the shows this weekend, then he will come home to grow up. He is 19 months old, and while he's shown moments of brilliance (making the cut in the group, after his first BOB at 17 months), it's really hard to special a dog that young against the more mature dogs.

Hudson matured much more slowly than Tristan and Alice, more like my side. But he's actually looking good and Tami is thinking of putting him out a bit later on, just to see how he does. Ironically one of his strongest points -- his head. He is a gorgeous headpiece, one he certainly did not get from his mother. laugh :D

From what I understand about Reign, he was sick for a week or so, but ended up passing away due to liver torsion, for whatever reason. But that is just what I have heard -- I might be wrong. Whatever the cause, a huge loss to his breeders, owners and the the fancy.

Thanks for always caring about my kiddos!

**edited for grammar laugh :D

-----
Last edited by AmbitionIrish on 7/31/2013 11:58:56 AM
 Riverwalk Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2013 11:12:57 PM reply with quote send message to Riverwalk Kennels Object to Post

After reading your response, and saving the pictures of Nami and Alice to look at side by side I see exactly what you are talking about Amy. Thank you for taking the time to explain it and show pictures for comparison!
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2013 8:22:51 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

posted by Riverwalk Kennels
After reading your response, and saving the pictures of Nami and Alice to look at side by side I see exactly what you are talking about Amy. Thank you for taking the time to explain it and show pictures for comparison!
Oh good, I'm glad it made sense to you. I know sometimes I can be confusing. happy :)

FireWind
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2013 9:39:58 PM reply with quote send message to FireWind Object to Post

stunning.

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.