Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Professional handler question and a random poll :)
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/18/2013 11:19:27 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

Do people ever hire a professional handler to help finish their dog? That is, maybe the owner has a breed that could be finished without the help of a pro and they enjoy showing their dog themselves and have earned some points, but for time reasons, they can't be at shows EVERY weekend and thus hire a handler to help with finishing the dog.

I also have a small poll for anyone who wishes to participate:

What was the longest amount of time it has taken you to finish a dog and what was the reason (i.e. don't have time to show every weekend, only attend local shows, etc.)?

.envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2013 10:26:22 AM reply with quote send message to .envoy. Object to Post

This is actually very common, especially in breeds where majors are extremely rare or very competitive breeds. In the first case, the handler can either build majors with their own dogs (we've done that) or contact other handlers having the same problem. In the second case, the handler can usually give the dog more of an edge bc of trimming/grooming etc and the fact that they are a pro to make the dog really look its best.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2013 9:24:30 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Yes, I've resorted to using a handler after chasing 1 point for 2 years!! She got 3 majors (14 points)in only two weekends when we started out then NOBODY showed up after that even when they were entered sad :(. Finally went to a show where another breeder promised she would show and turned out she hired a handler ... needless to say the next day I did too (although I did my own grooming). She finished that day.

-----
Last edited by Acclamation on 8/19/2013 9:26:31 PM
 Buckingham Palace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2013 10:20:23 PM reply with quote send message to Buckingham Palace Kennels Object to Post

There are other reasons as well for hiring a professional. I was in a car accident, and unfortunately I have times when I just cannot keep up with my girl in the ring! She is a big moving bitch and one has to run to really show her to her best.
The pro handler I use is one I respect,and my girl loves. He treats all of them as his own and it shows in the ring.
He happens to be a popular handler, perhaps not THE most popular handler on the circuit, but well known, and even if he were to lose showing mine, I know that she was shown to her best.
Hopefully, she will be going out with him soon again, they are lovely to watch together!
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 9:57:54 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

I use a handler because I can't show my own dogs, and am in a competitive breed. I also use a handler with my "special" because I love getting those "phone calls"! wink ;) laugh :D I lOVE my handler dearly, and I know that my dogs are cared for and conditioned to the utmost, and trust her with them explicitly.

That said, Harry just novice handled Nami, who is spayed and a veteran, and has NO coat due to the spay shave, to a specialty AOM (over top, BIS/BISS winning dogs) on Thursday and 5 point specialty GCH major SB on Friday. So with a GREAT dog, and GREAT judges, it can be done without a pro handler......

On your poll, I spent about three years trying to finish Nami's dam, chasing majors that kept breaking. Our point schedule has been ridiculous for the past, oh ten years, due to all the realignments, etc. She finally got that crossover major with a handler, but it was tough!

Amyhappy :)
 Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 12:30:16 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

I've only finished one dog's conformation title.....and half her points were all owner handled, including a specialty major. BUT she was a VERY hard bitch to show. Unless she was indoors OR it was early in the morning she wasn't happy. She still moved out for me, etc but I had quite a few judges that told me how much they loved her BUT she wasn't happy enough so they had to give her reserve....this went on for about a year...I got fed up and finally hired a handler, sending her to California to where they had lots of indoor shows, etc.....she finished in 3 weekends with the handler, picking up her 2nd major and a total of 9 points. She's been retired ever since, LOL!!! Hoping my next afghan will like to show a lot more, because I feel confident that I could finish an afghan myself....as long as they don't have an additude problem, LMAO!!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2013 9:08:47 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Ixion are you talking about Calypso? (Did you ever show Taboo in conformation?)

Ambition, wow! Three years?! I bet you were happy the day she finished! happy :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2013 9:39:37 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by Super Uber Kennels

Ambition, wow! Three years?! I bet you were happy the day she finished! happy :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

I should clarify that I showed Sandy mostly locally and she did have a litter during that time. So those three years are kind of skewed, but YES I was happy when she finally finished! laugh :D It was back when we needed 13 bitches for a major in our area and we just didn't have those entries. So thank goodness for the crossover major. That was under the late Dr Harry Smith and he was very complimentary of Sandy. I do believe Nami was reserve to her that day as well from the puppy class. razz :p

Hope the info helps!

AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2013 9:45:52 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Above was me. Sorry -- the time outs seem to happen quicker now on the new layout.

Ixion
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2013 1:15:16 PM reply with quote send message to Ixion Object to Post

posted by Super Uber Kennels
Ixion are you talking about Calypso? (Did you ever show Taboo in conformation?)
Yes, I'm refering to Calypso. I did show Taboo in comformation on and off, including sending her off with handlers. She's pointed, but no, I never finished her. I decided to retire her after the last time I sent her out....she was really stressed from being away from home and ended up with a bacteria skin infection. I know that she could finish BUT she can't finish in my area so it's not worth spending the $$$ with her being unhappy about being gone for 1-3 weeks at a time. She's just doesn't have enough body to be competitive in my area. She really should have been shown as a puppy but I was too focused on Calypso at the time and so ended up putting Taboo on the back burner.....:-/ I look forward to when I get to show my next afghan tho....they'll have my undivided attention from the beginning, LOL!!

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.