Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Wart Treatments
 Shutterfox
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/20/2013 8:53:08 AM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post   

My 16 month old Dane has a papilloma wart (the cauliflower type) on his face, about an inch or two below his right eye. It's very unsightly and I don't dare to put him in the show ring with a flesh colored wart on his dark black mask. I mean, it really sticks out.

I discussed treatment options with my handler. I thought it may work out to just crush the wart with forceps and administering him cephalexin orally twice a day for ten days. My show handler agreed this might be successful.

I don't see any reason to spend a fortune on having a veterinarian freezing or burning it off, since these kinds of warts are not harmful. I realize it would eventually go away on its own, but that's not an option since we are actively showing him.

Does anyone have experience treating warts on dogs? Are there any remedies that have been successful for you? Thanks in advance happy :)
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 9:25:56 AM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

I don't know with dogs, but I know with people warts can be removed withen a week or two using lemon juice. I'll have to google that one about dogs though.
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/20/2013 9:46:49 AM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

I don't know, I'd spend the money on a vet and get it done properly. This crushing sounds kind of barbaric. You have an investment already in the dog - protect that with proper care.

Good luck in any case.

Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 12:00:00 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into lemon juice for warts. Someone also recommended keeping a piece of duct tape on it, though I'm not sure he'll tolerate tape under his eye haha!

Gaylan, don't worry, it's not as barbaric as it sounds. The process is painless, quick, and simple. It just irritates the wart so the body's immune system goes to work on any potential infection, thus kickstarting the healing process. The antibiotics aid in fighting off the papiloma virus, which eliminates the wart happy :)
 Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 12:01:50 PM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

^^ That was me. I timed out ^^
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 12:52:10 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

posted by
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into lemon juice for warts. Someone also recommended keeping a piece of duct tape on it, though I'm not sure he'll tolerate tape under his eye haha!

Gaylan, don't worry, it's not as barbaric as it sounds. The process is painless, quick, and simple. It just irritates the wart so the body's immune system goes to work on any potential infection, thus kickstarting the healing process. The antibiotics aid in fighting off the papiloma virus, which eliminates the wart happy :)

Yes, not sure where but I've heard that before too :3
 Tresor
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 2:38:36 PM reply with quote send message to Tresor Object to Post

posted by

Crushing the actual wart will not help. You must crush the ROOT of the wart, and it needs to be under sedation. Also, crushing anything with a blood supply is NOT painless. Also, if done incorrectly it will leave an unsightly scar, which on a black mask will grow into a white line/spot of fur.

Also, it is a Papilloma VIRUS so any antibiotics will not help fight the virus, they fight bacteria, which could infect it if you crush the wart and cause open bleeding.

I would strongly suggest having a vet remove it or just waiting it out. I had a dog with one in his mouth. He had it removed a week before the national specialty and was completely healed and ready to go for the show. I have also had a bitch that had one, and I let it come off on its own, took about 4 weeks.

Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 2:59:42 PM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

Tresor, thank you for your response

I've crushed a wart on my husband before and he experienced no pain. He also took antibiotics and it cleared up within a week, so I assumed it would be the same in a dog.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 5:07:18 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

I have to agree with Tresor. Crushing the wart is very likely to be ineffective since every infected cell must be destroyed (or the remaining infected cells will just re-grow the wart). Crushing the wart itself may not cause pain since the rapidly dividing cells can push the nerves out of their way, but it depends on how deep the wart is in the skin. The deeper the wart the more painful and less effective crushing it will be.

Antibiotics don't do anything against warts and physical damage mostly activates a different part of the immune system than the one which fights infections.

grif,
 Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2013 5:57:20 PM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

Just to clarify, I have not so much as touched the wart with anything so far. I wanted some third party recommendations before I decided on a route of treatment to take. I wasn't trying to come off cheap, I just was hoping we could resolve this minor problem without spending $250+ at the veterinarian(that is what my trusted vet quoted me) for something this small and harmless.

Obviously, if all else fails, I will have it treated at the vet if necessary. My handler did warn me that he would have scarring from an aggressive treatment from the vet as well.

Griffin, I appreciate your input. Do you have any home remedy suggestions?
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2013 7:49:37 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Oil of oregano applied directly to the wart. I get mine at the health food store. A drop of it in a spoonful of honey also destroys an oncoming cold in people!
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2013 10:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Oil of oregano applied directly to the wart. I get mine at the health food store. A drop of it in a spoonful of honey also destroys an oncoming cold in people!
I'm soo writing this down >.>
 Rosewynd Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2013 7:55:09 AM reply with quote send message to Rosewynd Kennel Object to Post

also saves the oregano and honey thing for colds. Will be trying this trick this evening once my daughter gets home from school. Way she was acting this morning i'm afraid she's either having another bad flare up on allergies or a cold is setting in.
 Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2013 9:56:24 AM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

Thanks, Reina! That's right up my ally because I am a big believer in essential oils. My collection is very large. Will definitely try this!

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.