.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : How to pick shows to enter
 Mcx
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/25/2013 2:31:22 AM reply with quote send message to Mcx Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Do you put more stock in the judge or the number of breed entries or the number of total entries? Judging seems inconsistent! Does it help to have less dogs to compete against or more, altogether and in the breed? Thanks!!

Also, can basicplayers sell champions?

-----
Last edited by Mcx on 9/25/2013 2:31:47 AM

-----
Last edited by Mcx on 9/25/2013 2:32:02 AM
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2013 7:18:24 AM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

What do you mean by inconsistent judging?

A mixture of both is ideal. Obviously less entries means a reduced chance of earning points/majors. This system is pretty realistic in terms.of choosing judges, since there are.a lot of factors at play (handlers, quality of exhibit). With that in mind, a lot of players enjoy the owner handler judges for that reason, even though they all have their own biases.

And yes, basics can sell CH titled dogs.

Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2013 11:45:08 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

It never hurts to check the judge's preferences - if you've got a good head and the judge likes a good head (high or very high), then it might be worth thinking about although this should not always be the only consideration.

Juges also have a a handler bias factor - some prefer owner-handlers, or "pro" handlers to some variable degree - check that also. If the judge has a srong handler bias, if you can get the "best" handler for that judge, it can make a difference to the results. A poor dog will not normally beat a good dog but it can make the difference between two close dogs.

There are a number of variables that will appear to make judging "inconsistent" in that with the same competition, different dogs may win under different judges. Just like in real life.

If you've got a dog that needs majors, you will need to look at the shows that look like they will have enough entries in the sex, regardless of judge. If the dog is not good enough to get those majors it's probably not worth the effort or expense, unless you use it to make a major for another better dog.

The total number of entries for a show are fairly irrelevant unless you expect to get group/show wins. Higher total entries are usually associated with higher breed entries, but if you still need points, you probably still need to check the breed entries.

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you more. Good luck.
 J2dew
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2013 3:57:30 PM reply with quote send message to J2dew Object to Post

I know what you mean. Like, one of my dogs won four points for best in breed and then the next day only three points for third in group. How does that even make any sense?
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2013 4:12:01 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

posted by J2dew
I know what you mean. Like, one of my dogs won four points for best in breed and then the next day only three points for third in group. How does that even make any sense?
That has nothing to do with judges or their individual biases. Review your breed's point schedule. And a group placement (2-4) doesn't mean more points won.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.