.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Breed Suggestions?
 Euphorias
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/13/2013 1:29:31 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post   

Ok so I recently decided that my next dog is going to be a different breed then what I have normally had. Most of my life I have had Pit Bulls, and I do love the breed with a passion but I want to get into a more dog friendly breed and also a breed I can travel with.

I am thinking more of sporting breeds, something smart & really easy to train. The other thing is I want something either with a really short coat or low shedding.

Breeds I have thought about are the Standard Poodle & German Short Hair Pointer.

The dog will have to be able to very active (hiking, swimming, traveling and visiting the dog park) but also be able to be calm in the house.

I DO NOT want a Labrador, Border Collie or Aussie do to there too common and shed to much for me.

Any Suggestions?

Also I will be rescuing the dog and may end up with a mix but just want some breeds to do some research on that I haven't thought about and when I narrow it down see what I can find in the shelters

Thanks!
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 3:50:34 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

HMMM ... by rescuing, you are possibly negating the reasons for choosing a breed. You may want to consider a "retired" breeding dog from a reputable kennel with health testing and guarantees. Most responsible breeders place their breeding stock as pets when their "job" is finished improving the breed and would LOVE to find a home like you are describing. One of the breeds you are describing is Irish Water Spaniels, or like you already said, the GSP or Griffon Pointers. Good luck with your search. A
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 4:33:12 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

A retired racing greyhound might be a good choice, they aren't the easiest to train but are smart. They are active outside but happy to curl up while inside.

Also a dalmatian or dalmatian cross. Again very active and smart, a bit stubborn if you try to use correction-based training but easy to train with positive methods.

Or as you say any of the smooth sporting dogs would work.

grif,
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 4:33:15 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I would be more then happy to get a retired dog from a good breeder & will for sure consider that!! Thanks for the great suggestion.

And I will look into griffon pointers, haven't considered them but I like scruffy dogs.

-----
Last edited by Euphorias on 10/13/2013 4:34:45 PM
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 5:32:13 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Standard Poodles aren't as commonly seen in rescue as the smaller ones, BUT the great things about mixes is that you might end up with a temperament of one breed and the traits of another breed! If you travel a lot, a smaller poodle might be better because they can usually ride under the seat in planes rather than the cargo hold.

About where are you located? If you're outside of the USA it might be somewhat difficult to rescue, whereas in the US there are rescues practically everywhere.

I think a standard poodle would be the best breed for you. I take it you are willing to do the grooming care, correct? Although, a terrier x might also work.

Also, when looking at rescue poodles, remember: Hair grows back!

It's very rare for poodles to not be shaved, because they're usually terribly matted.

If you have never owned a breed with this amount of coat care required, you might want to do some research. You also might want to see if you could chat with a groomer. The groomer might not have time to chat, but the groomer should be happy that you are being responsible and preparing.

Many people who have never owned a breed with lots of coat care required or just never bothered to try and learn how to care for a coat often become victims of "topcoat brushing". Many owners brush only the top of the coat, and mats form underneath. Many owners are disillusioned when they find that, despite how nice the coat looks on the outside, it will have to be shaved.

Also, unless you are willing and able to learn how to do it yourself, poodles should be taken to the groomer every 4-6 weeks. Many people do not realize how expensive this is in the long run. Grooming a standard poodle is very time consuming on the groomer, and some groomers don't work on large dogs because they might take 3x the work of a small dog, but it would be absurd to charge the resulting price.

I am a rescue volunteer and I've fostered before, and I love poodles so I would be happy to answer any other questions you have either via PM or on the forum.

ETA: If you are able, a bonded pair might be a wonderful option. Bonded pairs are very often purebred and well cared for who were surrendered due to monetary problems. If the two dogs bonded closely, they were probably beloved companions of owners who had no choice but to surrender them.

-----
Last edited by linlin23 on 10/13/2013 5:36:38 PM
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 5:43:24 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

OK, I promise I'll be quiet buuuut.... this website is a great resource for choosing a breed www.yourpurebredpuppy.com

Also, as soon as I edited my post it came to me: Wheatens!

The soft-coated wheaten terrier is becoming more popular and is becoming more and more common in rescues and shelters. Wheatens are a low-shed breed and do not require as much maintenance as a poodle.
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 5:57:52 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

Thank you for all the info, I haven't decided if I am ready for the grooming of a standard poodle yet but if I was to get one I think I would prefer to keep it in a very short coat or a puppy cut.

The wheaten is a breed I have thought about but I really prefer larger breeds.

And I live in the US so there are TONS of rescues and by traveling I mean by car, not plane so that's not an issue with size.

Other info to add

My main concern about my pit bull is that he can't go on many road trips because of all the places they are banned he also has some dog reaction so he can't go to dog parks, these are two things I really want to do.

Also I have a small dog (a Hairless Chinese Crested) and two ferrets so the dog breed should in general tolerate small animals/small dogs.

I really like the temperament and train ability of a golden retriever, can I find another breed with the similar qualities and lower shedding?
 Credence
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2013 7:58:02 PM reply with quote send message to Credence Object to Post

I'm an avid APBT person and have bred, raised, trained and shown almost 17 years now. All of my dogs are safe around other dogs and have even befriended a rabbit here recently. My male, Ruger, is certified therapy/service dog so therefore his PAT and overall use makes him immune to breed legislation. I can take him anywhere, even Miami (which I have frequently done).

The breed is known for their dog aggression, yes, but most responsible breeders are actually breaking this and it's slowly becoming a huge success. I will not breed an animal with any aggression, period. My personal preference in my breeding program. And being as I've been training for so long, early socialization is imperative.

There are routes you can take to own an APBT without the drama of breed banning and you can consult with a professional trainer about the best methods for this. I hate to see people give up on the breed when it needs as many people as it possibly can get. I'm not saying you gave up, but there are safe alternative routes to take to get what you want out of a dog and still keep that breed APBT. happy :)

I sure hope you find the right breed for you!

Also, I'd be happy to answer any grooming questions as I am a professional groomer and have worked on MANY standard poodles.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2013 7:46:00 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Euphorias

I really like the temperament and train ability of a golden retriever, can I find another breed with the similar qualities and lower shedding?

Well that was the inspiration for labradoodles/goldendoodles... Most of the big dogs you find in shelters are lab/golden crosses anyway so just look for a mix with something low shedding.

grif,
 †Creed†
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2013 12:43:34 PM reply with quote send message to †Creed† Object to Post

posted by griffin
posted by Euphorias

Well that was the inspiration for labradoodles/goldendoodles... Most of the big dogs you find in shelters are lab/golden crosses anyway so just look for a mix with something low shedding.

grif,

It was a very interesting story on how labradoodles and golden doodles came to me actually. And the creator who bred the first two dogs regrets ever having done it because of the over population and intentional breeding of mixed breeds now and the extremely overwhelming price people are paying for them. Was a very good story.

However, as a Griffin said, there are lots of rescues who have what you're looking for and you can't expect to find that dog instantly. You may go meet several and take maybe 6 months or more to find the one who really clicks with you and what you're looking for. And there are SOO many doodles available for adoption if that were a route you wanted to choose. I'm not entirely sure what part of the country you're in, but I know many rescues throughout the US whom I could put you in touch with. And even if it's a rescue that's a bit further away, you could always line up transport. I've done it myself plenty of times and most rescues are quite happy to arrange this. However, that would almost eliminate the meeting of the dog first. I wish you luck and if I can be of any help, please let me know! happy :)
 Buckingham Palace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2013 9:57:22 PM reply with quote send message to Buckingham Palace Kennels Object to Post

First off, it is German Shorthaired Pointer...one word...always with the "ed" on the end!
Secondly, I have owned this breed all my life. They will usually not start an issue, but I am starting to see more and more of an aggressive line.
They will however, while not start something, surely end it.
Just because they are friendly and normally good with other dogs, some are decidedly not, especially with a dog that keeps at them. You will need to judge what you have in the house currently before adding a GSP to the mix.
 Boksu
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 12:49:44 AM reply with quote send message to Boksu Object to Post

Boxer? Has similarities to APBT, very smart&easy to train.
 Cornus
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 8:33:32 AM reply with quote send message to Cornus Object to Post

Do not discount the Aussie and Border Collie because of shedding !-) Regualar coat maintenace ie, once a week brushing removes dead hairs on a regular basis and you don't have a shedding problem. In our house Wednesday night is grooming night. All 7 (6 Belgians and 1 Border Collie) get line brushed and their nails done.....
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 2:39:22 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

I am gonna try to respond to all in one message lol.

Griffin, I do like the idea of a greyhound and always considered them. But I do not like there flightiness (I know training can help) and worry about them around my very small dog and ferrets. But I do adore the breed and it is currently still on the list.

linlin23 I am still considering a Standard Poodle, they are hard to find up here though, even mixes. I live in South Dakota.

Credence I will never give up on APBT they are for sure my heart breed. And the one I have is AMAZING with my small dog, my ferrets, cats and SOME other dogs. But he reacts CRAZY to larger dogs, goes into a complete frantic...can't even walk him where he will see another dog.

But I also need to note I am not talking about a well bred true APBT, most of my pits have been rescues or just taken them in and never as puppies.

Creed

I do know the story of how the "labradoodle" was "created" and I am VERY VERY VERY much against ANY designer "breed" ect.

So I would avoid any poodle mixed with lab or golden just because I might feel the need to slap any one who calls them a labradoodle or goldendoodle. (AND I AM NOT JOKING LOL)

And yes I know there is plenty of time, I am planning on doing research for a while and not actually getting the dog for probably a good year.

Buckingham

I understand where your coming from actually, we had a GSP/Lab mix for 11 years (she passed away only a few months ago) she was technically my moms but lived with me for different parts of her life. She was actually quite dog aggressive and very territorial, but that only started once she got past 5/6 years old.

Boksu

I like boxers but they are to high strung for me.

Cornus

I know with proper diet and grooming most dogs can have less shedding ect...but those breeds still shed more then what I care for.

EVERYONE

I am really appreciating every one's input and suggestions!

Also I am in South Dakota, and we don't really see Standard Poodle mixes here much in shelters but I would be willing to travel when the time is right to get the right dog.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 9:56:54 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

IMO, the *foundation* behind the "oodles" and the "poos" isn't bad. I think that if a breeder is actually breeding with the goal of sending dogs on to be service dogs and they meet all other checks of a good breeder, it's OK.

A well-bred poodle already has a wonderful personality.

If you want the looks of one breed and the personality of another, you *could* buy a designer...

OR...

You could rescue!

My first foster was a very intelligent terrier mix. He was a breeze to train, only had accidents when it was my fault, and he had his stubborn moments but he was cooperative overall. He was also a striking mix of black and white with a terrier coat. He's the type of dog you can take eveywhere.

If you get an adult dog from a breeder I would be sure it's a responsible breeder. If you were to get an uncommon breed from a breeder who is 99% responsible, well, OK. For common breeds, though, there are better breeders.

I looked at some random "doodle" breeders. These are the first ten I found who had their genetic coverage policy on the website. 3 breeders did not list health policies on the website.
1. 2 year guarantee
2. 2 year health guarantee
3. 2 year guarantee against hip dysplasia and life altering genetic defects
4. 2 year genetic health guarantee
5. Contract states two years
6. Two years
7. 26 months
8. A three-year health guarantee of no HD, VonWilabrands, Elbow, & patella disorders (copied from website)
9. Two year for hip dysplasia and PRA
10. Two year

So, how many breeders, IMO, are responsible?

Zero. Zip. Nada.

I would like to get input from real life breeders, but I think that a health guarantee less than lifetime is irresponsible. I mean, if you're bringing puppies into the world the better take full responsibility. I would be curious if any RL breeders disagree, and why.

-----
Last edited by linlin23 on 10/17/2013 11:51:26 PM
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 10:14:32 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

The GSP as a whole is probably not for you. Keeping in mind not every dog conforms...
1)but if you don't like the activity level of a boxer, a GSP may not be for you. GSPs rival boxer in the crazy level.
2)if you have small animals, proceed with MUCH caution. It is not below a GSP to hunt the house cat, hamster, ferret, etc.
3)and in my experience, they are not calm in the home. it is GOGOGOGO with these guys 24/7.
With that said I LOVE GSP and wish I had the space and time for one. But they require a lot of dedication, they need a job to do(hiking would be great for one of these guys though!) or they can get very destructive and bored very fast.

Kayla
 Dandy Dandies
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 10:38:44 PM reply with quote send message to Dandy Dandies Object to Post

I don't want to "high-jack" this post but

linlin23 "I understand it to be unusual for a terrier to be affectionate

Where on earth did you get the idea that terriers are not affectionate?!!! Even the maligned PitBulls are affectionate to their families! I have yet to own a terrier that was not a "Velcro Dog" when we are alone at home and not in the field hunting. Yes, they have a high prey drive, but in their downtime they are the most affectionate dogs I've ever owned (other than my Bassets happy :) ).

But to get back to the OP's quandary: have you considered an Airedale?
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2013 11:17:31 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Ha ha ha. None of the terriers I've met were affectionate, not that I've met an awful lot. The ones I've seen are very independent and not too keen on people in general. Though I'm pretty certain they're all poorly bred...

Good to know, that's a misperception I'm happy to let go of!
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2013 2:11:26 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

posted by Dandy Dandies

Where on earth did you get the idea that terriers are not affectionate?!!! Even the maligned PitBulls are affectionate to their families! I have yet to own a terrier that was not a "Velcro Dog" when we are alone at home and not in the field hunting. Yes, they have a high prey drive, but in their downtime they are the most affectionate dogs I've ever owned (other than my Bassets happy :) ).

I have to agree all the terriers I have accounted are SUPER affectionate. I even woke up just this morning with my pit bull (around 70lbs) cuddling up to me with his nose pressed on my cheek & snoring of course lol. And he isn't happy at night unless he is under the covers snuggled next to me lol.

And I think Airedales are stunning and have considered them numerous times. I haven't decided if I am up for the grooming requirements but they are sure high on the list.

Dose any one have any actual experience with the breed? I have never met nor seen one in this area...
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2013 8:35:52 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

How much do setters typically shed? (Gordon, English or Irish?)

I have no RL experience with any but they crossed my mind today, did a little reading and they have a lot of the qualities I am looking for.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2013 10:56:52 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

posted by Euphorias
posted by Dandy Dandies

I have to agree all the terriers I have accounted are SUPER affectionate. I even woke up just this morning with my pit bull (around 70lbs) cuddling up to me with his nose pressed on my cheek & snoring of course lol. And he isn't happy at night unless he is under the covers snuggled next to me lol.

And I think Airedales are stunning and have considered them numerous times. I haven't decided if I am up for the grooming requirements but they are sure high on the list.

Dose any one have any actual experience with the breed? I have never met nor seen one in this area...

Pitties I've met were very sweet, the yorkies, not so much...But nice to know that other terriers will openly show affection as well.

Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.