Search

.com Forum · Dachshund

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Double Dapples?
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/14/2013 9:24:20 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post   

Anybody bred those in a while? I've had the grand sum of 1 (lol). With all these posts about "not showable IRL", I thought about trying for anotherrazz :p Yeah, I just wanna do it to show off what I can do. I don't honestly care about DD.

This was the DD I had a LONG time ago (seems like ages anyway1) www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12230441

BTW, I do have dapples...at least I hope I still do...yikes, I FHed that one..

Alexandria
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2013 9:26:55 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Oh, no, you guys, I have no dapples in here. Are there any out there? Crap I KNEW I was saving that cream dapple for a reason...angry

Alexandria
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/16/2013 12:59:44 AM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

sad :( I don't have any dapples, either...Dibella has some I think!
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2013 11:14:09 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Have you looked at old studs? I might make a list of old studs in the future...
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2013 11:18:27 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Anemios has one, and she's leaving the game so I believe he's for sale!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2013 12:57:21 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I found a bitch from another breeder, which I can even keep. Thankfully!

I just can't believe...I have GOT keep some kinda records...

Alexandria
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2013 12:34:37 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Maybe we should have a "Noah's Ark" of colors...

Perhaps a forum topic to be sure we have at least one male and one female per color? Perhaps excluding frowned upon things like double dapples.
I'd be happy to make one and set up a sort of template if you think it would be useful.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2013 4:36:53 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

Double Dapples are very dangerous in real life..

www.anipaltimes.com/2011/06/double-dapples-the-risk/
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/19/2013 4:52:02 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

I breed and show standard smooths and wires in real life and was, initially, very against double dapples on here. However, Showdog is just a sim game of "pixel pups," and there are no health risks for any living thing. Since this is just for fun, I don't have a problem with breeding for double dapples only on Showdog (it sickens me to see one in person), since it is merely just strategizing genetics to get the color you want and helps people learn dachshund genetics a bit more happy :) I know Alexandria is aware of the problems DDs are prone to in real life and these breedings wouldn't translate over to any real life breedings. I can see your concern, though! happy :)

Em
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2013 8:48:37 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by Welsh Corgi Kennels
Double Dapples are very dangerous in real life..

www.anipaltimes.com/2011/06/double-dapples-the-risk/

This is a fairly awful article, factually. It IS true that double dappling is a serious issue in RL, but this article also got quite a few facts wrong.

Plenty of single dapples have 2 blue eyes, and the blue eyed- non-dapple gene does sometimes seem to occur in doxies.

And it is absolutely not true that the piebald gene always results in symmetrical markings.

And the description of how she supposes the genes overlap, made me cringe. It is not like one M starts at the tail and the other M starts elsewhere and "where they meet is white" I'm not sure it is known exactly what turns the merle gene in in a certain location, but that layman's description, is almost surely not it.
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2013 2:58:24 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

I didn't read the article since I've read plenty of material from DCA on this subject (huge controversy over piebalds being shown now and DDs are just unspeakable). However, now that I look, it really isn't factual at all.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2013 4:17:31 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

If you are completely ignorant of genetics you shouldn't be breeding in RL.

And the whole coloration starting at one end of the dog and meeting thing...I hope that's a metaphor.

I don't have an issue wih breeding double dapples on SD, but in RL...awful.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2013 11:16:48 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I know it's bad in RL...I've studied genetics until I'm purple lol. But, in the game it has no side effects, so why not?

And that article is weird...

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.