Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Recommendations for grooming supplies?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/21/2013 8:27:24 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

I've been trying to do research on what grooming supplies would be best for my experience level and my dog but the local groomers are very rude to me just as everyone elses and due to my age. No one takes me seriously so I'm hoping that the someone here will help me with this challenge...

I need a clipper for Coal, my standard poodle, just to do his face, feet and fanny for now. I probably won't do his body show coat for a while but I'd like to be able to learn how to do his FFF considering that those are the basic maintenance procedures of a standard poodle.

I'm also wondering about recommendations for...

Combs
Brushes
Dryers
Grooming tables
Ect...

*Price isnt too big of an obstacle for me, but as I get suggestions please keep in mind that Im a student and I only work parttime on minimum wage, although 75% of all the money I earn goes towards my spoiled pups*

Again, thank you very much for taking the timd to read and/or reply! Any help is greatly appreciated. (:

-Hayley
 †Creed†
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 1:05:35 AM reply with quote send message to †Creed† Object to Post

Hola!

Well, I've been grooming for years and years and do most of my own grooming prior to shows. I also own my own (local) groom shop and I've seen many standard poodles.

Honestly, when it comes to clippers, I use Andis. I love their two and three speed clippers and typically mine are all Ultra Edge series. Ah I'm sure you know (or maybe not), the clean feet and face are done using a #10 run backwards (against the hair). Any other part of the body should be done with the clipping following hair pattern. Some groomers use #15 blades but I myself do not see a significant difference between the two and a #10 is safer against clipping webbing and nicking any loose skin. I call the "fanny" a sanitary cut and I typically run against the hair here as well.

I hope you are making sure that his groomers (or you) are keeping the hair clean from his ears (plucked). This prevents ear infections and other ear ailments.

I reccomend a good slicker brush (any brand can work) for regular coat maintenance. It's good at brushing our foreign debris as well as adding some "umph" to the coat. Combs are a good thing to use too, especially for ears and top knots. I use metal combs as I find plastic break entirely too easy and seem to catch in the hair too easy.

I use Air Force series dryers for forced air and Bear for my kennel dryers. However, I strongly reccomend Air Force for the whole nine yards. It's exceptionally great and portable for quick fluff dries and or blowing debris from coat.

I saw in your other post that you are looking for some ways to "umph" your boys coat ringside, and the force dryer is a great tactic. Many people do it. I myself use it for Newfs, Bouvs, Black Russians and many more. It adds fluff and substance to the coat right before exhibition and therefore eliminates the foreign substance rules (if any apply). I'm guilty of having (in the past, mind you) used chalk on Shelties. >.< Back when I was junior handling (many years ago) and knew no better but it is strongly frowned upon should you be showing AKC.

If I can be any help for a thing else, I'm glad to talk! happy :)

Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 1:05:36 AM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

As far as Brushes, combs and sissors are concerned, you can't go wrong with Chris Christensen products. Their shampoos and coat conditioners are top quality too.
 †Creed†
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 1:10:13 AM reply with quote send message to †Creed† Object to Post

posted by Acclamation
As far as Brushes, combs and sissors are concerned, you can't go wrong with Chris Christensen products. Their shampoos and coat conditioners are top quality too.
OH! I recently picked so e of his equipment up at the show this past weekend and OMG I am in love. I forgot all about his stuff. It's wonderful.

Also, there is a man I know who is here in GA where I am named Tim Pruitt. He is owner and creator of Pruitts Perfect Edge and he is amazing with his shears, blades and shampoos. That's if you didn't mind ordering from someone and having it shipped. The curves, straights and thinners all came from him. happy :)
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 1:38:16 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

I would get some old books on the topic.

This blog is great: petgroomingthegoodthebadthefurry.blogspot.com/?m=1
You can leave a comment with questions or just read it, you'll learn either way.

I have "The Everything Dog Grooming Book" and that's super informative.

I have a nice large desk, so I put a towel on the desk and attach a grooming arm and voila, instant grooming table!

I have some personal ideas about tools and such but I'll leave that to the real groomers wink ;)
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 7:16:58 AM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

I groomed for a while and show, and I agree with what has been said! Love Andis Ultra Edge clippers and Chris Christensen products for brushes, shampoo, etc.
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 7:27:52 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

I also love Chris Christensen grooming supplies. Their slickers are my favorite as well as the Buttercomb. For shampoos and other products I love Plush Puppy.
 Navar Poodles
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 8:15:15 PM reply with quote send message to Navar Poodles Object to Post

I've also been grooming for 20+ years (egads am I really that old?). I love the andis clippers. For just basic fff (face feet fanny) a single speed andis should do and you can find them for about $99 or the wahl bravura is my go to fff clipper and its cordless but last all day through 10+ dogs.

Chris Christenson slickers, combs pin brushes and shampoos are to die for and last forever!
They are pricey but are worth it.

I'm addicted to shears and love Kenchii and Chris Christenson every day they both hold their edges very well.

Sorry the groomers in your area are rude. I love talking groomer but no groomers in my area are very friendly to rival groomers either.

Hey Creed I'm from Ga too! Athens Ga to be exact.

Tammy
 †Creed†
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 10:33:32 PM reply with quote send message to †Creed† Object to Post

Oh wow! What a small world! I'm located in Griffin, Ga. Don't get up around Athens too much. Ya know, college town stuff! wink ;)

So cool to see another local on showdog!
 Dandy Dandies
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 11:58:50 PM reply with quote send message to Dandy Dandies Object to Post

That's good to know about the CC shears because it's so hard to find a "certified" person to sharpen them. I LOVE CC products happy :)
 Buckingham Palace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2013 1:54:39 PM reply with quote send message to Buckingham Palace Kennels Object to Post

A few others have said it...but will say it again....ANDIS clippers...and only Ultra Edge blades. I groom professionally for pet and show, and I don't have much else in my box. What I do have (a few older Oster blades) will be replaced with Andis Ultra Edges. 'Nuff said!
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2013 4:47:14 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

BUMP:

Any recommendations on ear care supplies? I have ordered items from the recommendations above. Right now I'm currently looking at dryers, new shampoos, and ear care. There are way too many products out there! haha. Any help is once again, appreciated ^-^
 Navar Poodles
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2013 6:15:49 PM reply with quote send message to Navar Poodles Object to Post

posted by Dandy Dandies
That's good to know about the CC shears because it's so hard to find a "certified" person to sharpen them. I LOVE CC products happy :)
I don't know if this was said but chris christenson scissors are sharpened for free you just pay shipping both ways
Tammy
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2013 7:07:16 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Hi Hayley,

I really like this site for recommendations on show grooming -

www.ridgewoodpoodles.com/Grooming.htm

Be aware the caring for a show coat and caring for a pet coat will require a different approach and different products.

I agree with everyone else on Andi's clippers. CC brushes/combs are also great - just don't touch a show coat with a slicker. You need a good quality pin brush to keep that coat!

Good luck!
Kathy

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2013 11:31:35 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Kalynda
Hi Hayley,

I really like this site for recommendations on show grooming -

poodles.com/Grooming.htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.ridgewoodpoodles.com/Grooming.htm

Be aware the caring for a show coat and caring for a pet coat will require a different approach and different products.

I agree with everyone else on Andi's clippers. CC brushes/combs are also great - just don't touch a show coat with a slicker. You need a good quality pin brush to keep that coat!

Good luck!
Kathy

Thanks! I didn't know about the pin brush thing so that's really going to help. I really like the website but the instructions aren't exactly clear but it helps me get a little bit of a better understanding. Plus I'm pretty sure I got an all breed and a poodle variety grooming book for Christmas so between that and other recommendations I feel like it's going to help.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.