Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : When can you be sure of a puppy's eye color?
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/5/2014 6:28:05 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post   

So I'm picking up my new bc pup two weeks from now. His mother has one blue eye, one brown eye, and has thrown quite a few bi-eyed pups. In the pictures that have been sent to me, I can only really see the blacks of his eyes, though it seems a few of his siblings may be bi-eyed. It really doesn't make a difference to me whether or not he ends up bi-eyed as he is going to be strictly a performance dog, I'm just curious about when eye color is "finalized", because I've never owned any breeds of dogs where blue eyes is even genetically possible and was wondering if eye color changes with age as it does with human babies.

Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2014 6:36:31 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

You can usually tell a difference in shade by a few weeks old- I could tell Aussies around 4-5wks. The brown eyes look grey, and the blue eyes simply look more blue than the grey. Easiest to compare side by side if you aren't 100% sure what you're looking for.
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2014 7:19:35 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

posted by
You can usually tell a difference in shade by a few weeks old- I could tell Aussies around 4-5wks. The brown eyes look grey, and the blue eyes simply look more blue than the grey. Easiest to compare side by side if you aren't 100% sure what you're looking for.
thanks that was very helpful! It's looking like at least the one eye will be brown, still not sure about the other though. I'll keep you posted!
 JLK Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/9/2014 8:36:04 PM reply with quote send message to JLK Goldens Object to Post

Cant wait to see your new addition once you get it.

Jana
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/9/2014 9:01:44 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

no worries, I'll be sure to post plenty of pics happy :)
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2014 9:03:27 PM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

If the ring around the eye is dark and thick, that eye will most likely darken as the pup grows up. Trying to find a good example...

static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/4/0/1/large2/10410320.jpg

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Eye_of_a_dog.jpg

If the bottom photo was a pup, the top photo's eyes would be more likely to substantially darken than the bottom photo's eyes.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. Not sure about bi-color eyes though.
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2014 10:12:40 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

^^thanks. it's looking like his one eye is getting ready to turn. I'll be bringing him home Friday so I'll keep you all posted!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.