Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Super Nervous ):
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/19/2014 3:27:37 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

So for those of you who don't talk to me in chat, PLEASE WISH ME LUCK.

I'm having my AKC Junior Showmanship debut next weekend at a 4 day SC show...Well I just received the information for the show and holy cow... over 1500 entries everyday. Including over 35 juniors for each day, Saturday and Sunday having over 40. Even worse, the first day, juniors will be at 9am. Which means Ill have to get there at 6 to groom Coal ( My Standard Poodle ).

Not only do I have to worry about my juniors but I have to worry about helping someone with her dogs. She has 4 breeds, 2 in which I will be helping with. Lowchens and Tibetan Terriers, 6 in which I will help groom and hold ringside. The ring times don't seem to conflict which is good, but still!

I already felt super horrible with my skills but this has killed me. I'm no where close to where I want to be with our free stack. This show is huge and I have more to worry about than my own dog! I think I've gotten in over my head ):

I want to be a professional handler so this kind of schedule is good practice but for my first show.... ugh

I've been in 2 shows, 1 IABCA show with a fellow Showdog-er and another AKC show, my kennel clubs show, however I only did the match in which I received last place twice in a row.

I'm also under the pressure of being 'interviewed' by the group of people who I plan to get my showpup from next year and hopefully may possibly travel with the handler for a summer ( This is a huge deal since she has the number 18 dog All-Breed ... ) ( That is, if they decide to come to this show, I haven't heard from them to see if they entered or not ).

Everyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pray for me. I will post results after next week.

Thanks everyone! - Hayley
 Leotyde Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2014 3:33:32 AM reply with quote send message to Leotyde Kennels Object to Post

Just be grateful you are getting to do what you want. 7 years spectating and still not handling here, one day.
Enjoy it as it comes.

Good luck!
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/19/2014 12:05:09 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll do fine.
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2014 12:14:06 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hang in there.

Here's a few things to help with ring nerves:

Remember to *breathe.* Lots of people don't focus on deep breathing, and if you are doing it correctly, and feeling your breath move up from your diaphragm, it can be very calming and centering. I'll see if I can find a link for you that explains how to "correctly" breathe, because apparently most of us are "doing it wrong," lol.

Remember that everyone at this show is SO focused on themselves and their dogs that the vast majority have no time to think about/look at/judge you. They are all living out their own dramas and worries, just as you are worrying about yours. This is very freeing! It means you get to focus on your OWN performance. Do not worry about placements. Do not worry about winning. What you want to do is think about two things: am I having fun with my dog? and am I improving my craft? Focus on improving your own skills and presentation, polishing what you have to offer every time you enter the ring. If that's what you focus on, you will leave the ring "successful" every time. As soon as this is what I started caring about, I got better results than when I worried about how I would place.

I actually LOVED when there were big entries because it meant that when I was in the ring, I had more time to settle into my zone, relax, and focus on my dog. It gave me time to work on strategy and get an idea of what I thought the judge was looking for and possibly adjust for that accordingly.

Your potential mentors KNOW you are new to this. They aren't judging you as a finished product. Good mentors know that you have lots to learn -- just be professional, friendly, thoughtful with the dogs, and have a good work ethic.

If your dog/s read your nerves and react to them, chew peppermint gum before you go in the ring or suck on a strong peppermint (just make sure to toss the gum before you go in)! I also used to dab vanilla on my girl's nose leather before we went in, because if I felt natural nerves at all, she would react to it. If it didn't work, it worked as a placebo, because after I used this trick, she and I did fine.

Visualize your performance before you go in. Make this a habit every night before you go to bed. See it in vivid detail.

Write affirmations on your mirror. Or really, wherever you'll see them.

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 7/19/2014 2:22:15 PM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2014 11:24:17 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

You can do it, Hayles! I'm rootin' for ya, girl happy :)

And I agree with breathing...never showed a dog, but, I speak in public regularly and a breath of fresh air from way down in the gut is always helpful wink ;) And smile! It'll loosen you up...so will laughing, but I know you can't do that, lol.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 7/19/2014 11:26:44 PM
 Lumen
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2014 7:59:24 PM reply with quote send message to Lumen Object to Post

Number 18 all breed? Are you talking about Robin Novack?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2014 9:32:52 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Lumen
Number 18 all breed? Are you talking about Robin Novack?
Yes.
 Lumen
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 11:23:48 AM reply with quote send message to Lumen Object to Post

I know her pretty well.. She is a wonderful human being, with a vast knowledge of springers and engies. Good luck. Are you getting a puppy from Celie?
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 12:19:08 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

We're rooting for you! Breathing is the best thing! As long as you and Coal have fun, nothing else matters! happy :)
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 3:16:07 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Lumen
I know her pretty well.. She is a wonderful human being, with a vast knowledge of springers and engies. Good luck. Are you getting a puppy from Celie?
Hopefully (:
 WHITE FLOWER KENNEL
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2014 9:47:43 PM reply with quote send message to WHITE FLOWER KENNEL Object to Post

I'm an assistant and know Robin and Laura pretty well. They are both wonderful people!

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing