Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Picking an affix
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/20/2014 4:52:46 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post   

Can anyone offer any advice or tips on picking a affix for real life? In the UK it must be one word only and be between 4 and 12 letters although a smaller affix would be good as a reg name I would like to use if quite long.
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2014 8:28:52 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

I would think about names / things that hold special meaning for you, or what are the ideal qualities in your breed, or qualities you want your dogs to represent in the ring. What is the breed?
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 11:31:16 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I know one name I realy want but they can be fussy on affixs and many get rejected so ill need a few on my list I like.
The breed is Swedish vallhund, id like something to do with Norse mythology perfurably, or Vikings, maby even a Swedish or welsh word related to them (I live in wales)

The one I realy want is Vallhalla, so its like Valhalla but with the extra l in there its got vall short for vallhund so it fits both the breed and norse myth
 Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 12:04:32 PM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

Oh! That's a good name, very cool sounding and I like the breed connection
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2014 4:22:17 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

What I would do is start writing down words you like or that mean something special to you and start making different combinations of them. Then Google them to see if they are the names of any places, companies, etc. and use the kennel club's name checker to see if anyone uses the affix already.

I'm pretty sure I got my 12th choice so they can definitely be really fussy. It can't be too similar to existing affixes either so don't be surprised if you do lots of hard work only to have it get rejected because someone else in a totally different breed has something similar-ish.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2014 9:07:10 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

ive emailed the kc to ask if i have to repay the fee if the names are rejected when i reapply with new names and they said no its just the one off fee and if they refuse them they will email me asking for new ones.

So what i am going to do is apply for the name i like only now then think up some others while im waiting to here back as i want to get it done asap so i can get a website and open an account on champdogs as im planning a litter next year and want to advertise the planned matng to get a list of homes waiting ready.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/22/2014 12:10:23 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I hope they accept the name you like!!

Keep us posted!
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2014 11:37:41 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

well ive put in the application and the fee online for just the name I like now, and while im waiting trying to come up with other names if it gets rejected. im thinking anoter possible name could be Vallen.

Havent got any words that mean anything special to me, only got the one dog so cant mix names, Ive look at mixing my budgies names as there my babies but cant make anything remotely word like out of them
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2014 8:35:06 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

I hope you get your first choice happy :) I would look at names of Norse gods, maybe there's something in there that would be a good alternative if you can't have your first choice.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2014 7:27:43 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Not Hurd back yet but my girls breeder said she know many of the elkhound breeders habe tried for it and wasn't allowed it so there must be someone out there using Valhalla, can't apply for vallen as my friend says there is a breeder in her breed called vallena.

So when I hear back with no I can't have vallhalla I'm putting in for Vallffrind. Vall again for vallhund and ffrind (silent d) is Welsh for friend as I see my girl as not just my dog but as my friend too.
And put in spairs of
Vallci = Vallhund/dog in Welsh
Valladar = Vallhund/bird in Welsh as my budgies are my babies.

The litter I plan to habe a Norse mythology them using names of God's/beings. Fernir, skoll, hati, freki, Geris and garmr. With another word with them that relates to them as u can't have one word names.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 5:06:26 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Vallhalla has been rejected as its apparently also the name of a registered company.
Fingers crossed for vallfrind
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2014 7:10:25 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Here's to hoping Vallfrind is accepted!!
 Julibras French Bulldogs
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2014 2:42:21 PM reply with quote send message to Julibras French Bulldogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Mine is Julibra's for my three kids JUstin, LIerin and BRAden. My other option was Tyleino which is their middle names TYler, LEIlani and NOah. I have thought about wonderful prefixes for this game but those are the only ones I ever considered for my RL prefix because my children are the center of my world

-----
Last edited by Julibras French Bulldogs on 8/4/2014 2:43:07 PM
 Julibras French Bulldogs
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2014 2:46:21 PM reply with quote send message to Julibras French Bulldogs Object to Post

Another one you could do is Vallkyri. The Valkyrie's are definitely Norse and the extra L is for the Vallhund and drop the e to make it a more unique word.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2014 6:46:55 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

That's a food one. Still waiting on a reply on the list of 6 I sent in. Keep checking my email twice a day lol.
Got so much to get sorted, Waite For kc affix, do website, join champdogs, type up a full puppy pack book, read up on breeding again, get all the stuff I will need for breeding (but I'll get that closer to the time and it won't be till end of next year).
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2014 5:07:12 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Got my email threw today. My new affix is Valladar!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2014 5:17:05 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Yay! I like it.

Julibra, I love the story behind your name! Do you breed Frenchies irl?
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2014 5:42:01 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

Congrats! I like it! Good luck in your future endeavors happy :)

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.