Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Over limit
 Reina*
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/8/2016 7:43:56 PM reply with quote send message to Reina* Object to Post   

This is basically just a rant, a non-mad one.

My two main kennels, this and Dreisaiah Hundehutte, have been
at least 10 dogs over limit for the past couple of months. I
logged on to one of them, I guess the other one, and I had almost
50 dogs! LOL! I'm having troubles knowing which ones to let go
and which to keep. I have all these lower sop bitches who are
producing really well for me, mid sop males I think will produce
well, and then all these random dogs with good traits that I just
can't see myself getting rid of until I breed them at least a couple
or few times. Sad! I have to remind myself that the only way I can
go up in sop and traits is to FH the lower sop and less good traited
(not a word, but it is now) dogs even if I don't really want to.

I seem to have formed some level of attachment to certain dogs and
even just having a full kennel seems to be, I guess, satisfying in
some way (wow, Reina, you really are weird), and trimming down the
amount of dogs saddens me to some degree. Lmao!

The only problem is that when this happens, I can't show or breed
until I FH my currently pregnant bitches or any males who, even if
bred only once, didn't produce anything of note. This makes me
practically unable to play the game, therefore paying for something
I'm not really using for several days in the month.

Sooooo... if you want to join Dogo Argentino or Cane Corso, hit me up
because I have tons of good quality dogs, lmao, though "selling" them
off wasn't really the point of this post.

Anyone have the same problem? Please let me know I'm not alone... *cries*
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/8/2016 8:03:09 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

Tale of my showdog life in a nut shell.

Though you've got some logical reasons for keeping some, I also tend to use the following reasons -
I haven't got that colour,
Those traits are good.
Those traits suck but the SOP is good.
That name is really great and I like it.
This might be a good showdog.
This won't be, but it should breed well.
You've been a good showdog but your pups are bad, so you'll stay anyway.
I just want one more champion pup from you, but you better stay for a couple more litters in case they are all duds.
This first litter was bad, but maybe the next three will be good.
Just two more points, why can't you just get them?
You are nearly fully sessioned, might as well just show you anyway.
And the best one of all - I just like this dog for no reason other than liking it, so I must keep it for now and forever, until it's old and by which point, I may retire it and mourn the loss.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
12/8/2016 10:33:10 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Hahaa Grasslans - I can relate to so many of those reasons! :P

My solution was to just get more kennels :O :P

Hence why I have so many ... hahahaahaa!

Reina - I remember having a stud in Anatolian Shepherds ages ago that was producing tonnes of CHs and he was heading towards a Stud Merit Award so I just kept breeding him to e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e :P In the end I practically showed the majority of his offspring and 99% of them titled :P (Even ones with lower SOP than I would normally keep, hahaha). And I just kept breeding him even when he was so old - cuz I kept thinking 'oh but he might produce MORE champions for me' :P LOL

Here's the poor overbred fellow:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13734315

He finished up as a Silver Merit Sire - with 36 CH pups :P
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 6:28:20 AM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post

All of this sounds so familiar to me. About a year ago I was just starting out in Alaskan Malamutes and I happened to get a dog that had what I considered to be average traits. His SOP wasn't very high at all. He was within show range, but sort of in the mid-range of what was considered showable (not actually a word either) at the time. I was trying to build up my number of dogs so I figured I'd just show him to see what happened. He also had a couple of half siblings that I was showing at the time. His siblings had much higher SOPs and were what I considered competitive with their traits as well. However, it ended up being that mid-range dog that won everything. He was unstoppable and I could never figure out why. He ended up becoming a bronze grand champion and produced a few champions for me. His half siblings earned their championship titles, but they could not earn points after that.

In addition to the reasons Grasslans pointed out, I fear getting rid of a dog that could be like the one above. I came very close to getting rid of him because he was average looking to me. I guess I've become paranoid about getting rid of anyone, but I keep telling myself that maybe if that happens it will be sold to a new player who will love the dog as much as I loved Blaise (name of the dog in my story).
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 1:24:36 PM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Ugh, I am going through this issue right now. Still have not figured out if I am supposed to use the dog count of the "my Dogs" page or "My Account" page because they both show different amounts. I am "trait" breeding and "SOP" breeding and cannot get rid of anything! I am a class A hoarder. So I've began retiring everything to keep them at "home" (crazy me lol).
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/9/2016 2:34:38 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Been there many times!

Use the number on your "My Dogs" page under "Kennel Stats" that says "Total Dogs*" (with the * ).
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/9/2016 2:41:09 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Oh, and as for the "Forever Home", I am the "Foever Home" for two real one-time show dogs.

Fear Not the SD Forever home! They do live forever, which sadly is more than I can hope for with my real furry friends.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 7:56:01 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I must not be the norm here, I FH brutally to keep myself under limit and have zero attachment to my dogs.

Oh I've been sessioning you but you're sort of low sop and I don't exactly feel like entering? You get FH'd.

Oh, you suck as a show dog. You get FH'd. Your puppies get FH'd.

You're a great SD but suck as a producer? FH.

Dog with traits I like? I look around to find something similar in my kennel or other breeders kennel. If they have it? FH'd. If not.. I'll breed 1 or 2 litters then FH.
Unless I'm over limit and then they get FH'd anyways, the trait will always come back somewhere.

You need 1 more pup to finish to get silver sire? Meh, you get FH'd.

I've been chasing that last major for too long? FH'd.

I don't like your color? FH.
I don't like the color you produce? FH.

Tired of looking at your name? FH.

-----
Last edited by FallenStarz on 12/9/2016 7:57:08 PM
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/9/2016 8:03:08 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Lmao FallenStarz! You just described me in a nutshell.

I FH perfectly finshable and excelleng quality pups if they sit in my kennel more than 10 days.

Eh, you had a crap litter so, buh by.

Here lately it was;
"Ok, im bored with Kelpies. FH everything."
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2016 9:25:00 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Raina and Grasslans, Y'all sound like the little people that live inside my head. happy :) That's why I had 89 dogs on my retirement couch at one point.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/10/2016 12:39:20 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Ah Grasslans how many times have we and Tarot had this discussion. I'm in that boat now with my Dalmatians along with this kennel. And I can't afford any more kennels (I'm down to 5 from 15). It's a struggle every day to the point where I almost dread getting good puppies. And yet I keep breeding.

We are well and truly hooked, aren't we?

Shadow Song
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2016 8:48:28 AM reply with quote send message to Shadow Song Object to Post

I find this post hilarious because in one of my premium kennels, I'm source breeding a dead color set. I'm aghast at how many dogs I've got already.

Fourlorn-

Good thing I bought Honor from you, then. She finished her GCH today. laugh :D

Kani
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2016 6:17:30 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

I keep having these cut backs, then sell quite a few and after that I look at the kennel again, just to think 'why are there still so many of you here....?'
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/14/2016 5:28:21 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Lol, Shadow Song. I loved Honor. She was hard to let go of but with better dogs, she was taking up space! Congrats on the GCH!!!
 Shadow Song
Basic User

Basic User
12/14/2016 8:50:16 PM reply with quote send message to Shadow Song Object to Post

Thank you! I was pleasantly surprised to actually have her finish it, what with how few days I had left to make it happen before she hit the big 120. I'm working her in obedience until I upgrade this kennel too. Got her CD today, too. She's scooting right along, lol!

Kani

Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 11:48:06 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I'm in this position right now Reina, with Estrelas. I made the classic beginners mistake of buying everything nice that came along and started a colour programme too.
Two months on and my kennel is at bursting point with 30 adults and several good puppies that I can't FH. Several of the bitches that I bought haven't been bred yet so I can't bring myself to FH them either as they are capable of breeding me my next star, and it seems rude to the breeders, throwing their stock away without doing my best by them. They we're chosen carefully because of a new high trait, co!our or breeding. And always the nagging doubt...will that one be the lower SOP one that shouldnt win anything but gets GCH.

They are only lowish because only two monghs ago 94.40/50 was a show dog capable of finishing quite easily. Now it's the 94.75/95's. I get really attached to some of them, like the two sessioned dogs that I have used for class fillers, and they've got to go. No one will buy them I don't think. sad :(
I find I have to be in the right sort of mood for being able to Fh. I wish I was more ruthless!
 In The Ghetto
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 12:10:01 PM reply with quote send message to In The Ghetto Object to Post

I'm with Fallen and Four.

I have fully sessioned dogs before but gave them the boot since they couldn't hang with the current big dogs. I have a dog I'm currently keeping that is over 120 days which is rare as things rarely pass 90 days with me. laugh :D

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.