Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : Re Stud Fees
 Star Shiine
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/15/2016 2:31:45 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post   

I have a young dog with 10 for head, I think he is the only one with 10 in the breed and the highest head trait Ive found elsewhere is 9.8
I want to be generous but I feel I have a very special dog.

The top kennel, and everyone else puts all their dogs up for stud very cheaply considering the high quality, maximum $50 and we all get along just fine. It's a friendly helpful breed with an active breed forum.

I may be being big headed but I expect he will get used a lot at stud and I could do with some money and it's likely the breed with have a huge leap in head quality!! So shall I put him up for $50 or would it be acceptable to ask a bit more because of his Head. I don't want to start a domino effect by being greedy.
What's the ethical thing to do please?
 KRT west
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 3:55:32 AM reply with quote send message to KRT west Object to Post

I for one never really look at stud fees. Put him up for what you feel he is worth. It can always be adjusted later if you choose to. Please do put him up whatever the fee. A 10 head is exceptional.
 Valley of Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 5:20:08 AM reply with quote send message to Valley of Dreams Object to Post

I personally put all my studs up for $50 in all 15 of my kennels regardless of if they have a special trait or not happy :)

(Excluding source projects and colour projects which I have up for $25)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/15/2016 11:39:31 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Bear in mind that if you make him more expensive relative to the other studs, you may still get takers but if you put him up at the more common level, you make get more business. Two stud fees at $50 are the same as one at a hundred. Two breedings mean more puppies to advance his reputation and perhaps qualify him for a merit award.

Just something to think about, but charge what you feel is right.
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2016 7:57:10 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

I used to adjust the stud fee as my dogs gained championships and grand championships. That became tiresome checking all the time.

As I am in a number of breeds with few players as well as more popular breeds I now just put all my studs at $25 in all my kennels (I think my brief Afghan Hound foray stretched me to $50). I see others setting different prices, that's fine. I too have just hit a 10 trait - the dog is still at $25, although his progeny from other kennels is not.

It's how you play the game. If you need $ and he can help, do it. If you don't get stud fees change.
 Kennel SkyHaven
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2016 1:16:20 AM reply with quote send message to Kennel SkyHaven Object to Post

In the past, I have made more money charging less. People need to him more often because the price was reasonable. I also wanted him to be a Merit sire.. Maybe offer him at a lower price before he finishes, and raise it once he is done happy :) That is what I would do.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2016 2:52:36 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Thanks for all the replies. He finished at 24 days old and got a 2nd and 3rd in Group at his last two shows. It's more or a question of sharing the genes rather than getting the money. I'm being very honest here lol. Would be useful to get replies from outside the breed too.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/16/2016 6:10:47 AM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

Both Gaylanstudio and Temora are outside of the breed, same with SkyHaven happy :)
In the end, it's going to be what people are going to pay, they either will pay the price for a chance at the gene or they won't. In saying that though, some won't even really think twice about the price of the stud fee while others might be a bit wary of a high stud fee.

But in talking about good genes that are not common and stud fees, I've got some impressive traits going on in another breed, though when I list them up for stud (because I keep forgetting to do that) I'm most likely still going to put them up at $50.

Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2016 1:23:00 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Charge what you want.
There is no reason not to charge stud fee based on merit.

I work in the collectibles market and I see everyday how pricing can erode the market. In our case when we list a starter dog and a BIS winner at the same $25-$50 price we are basically negating any 'value' that the BIS dog has in the game economy.

I do understand that if you are working on an AOM merit, you want to make the dog more accessible and might offer the lower price.

Additionally, I would point out that with the current game economy at an all time high - log in bonuses and session sales - most players can certainly afford higher stud fees.

In many of my kennels I am maxed at $25000 - it's difficult to host an all breed show, because they are being 'hosted' as soon as the dates become available. I have been trying to spread the wealth around with specialties and show payouts - but I can certainly afford to pay $500-$1000+ in stud fees for an outstanding dog.

In a nutshell, I believe a lot of players are operating on MUCH more money than what we used to (I'm not complaining, because I am certainly able to show more dogs than before, so that is awesome) - yet we're still offering dogs at stud for $25 and $50.
I feel like it would be more beneficial to 'share the wealth' and create a more realistic stud fee 'structure' at the same time by charging stud fees more realistically.

I have used $25 for Color/Source - $50 for untitled - $100 for Champions - $150 for GCH - $200-$300 for a BISS GCH

You can always add a note to your kennel page - "Stud fees are negotiable if you are short on cash, just give us a shout."

I remember when I struggled to breed, show and maintain a $1000 balance and I was still able to spend $500 on a stud fee. I budgeted, which used to also be part of the game. Again, I feel like the money situation is more realistic now, but I think we need to consider using more realistic stud fees to get some of the money moving around a little more.

...just my thoughts

rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2016 1:23:43 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

above post was me, I timed out because i obviously talk too much wink :)
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2016 5:33:56 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Apologies to gaylan studio and temora.Thanks rhondacline.
After seeing that very high sop pups from one of my dogs have been FH after I requested to be given the chance to offer on good spare puppies, I have removed some from public stud. I'm willing to help anyone out if I can but to throw those puppies away is tragic! Perhaps I'm taking all this too seriously. Thanks for the advice, all duly noted.

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 12/16/2016 5:34:43 PM
 Kennel SkyHaven
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2016 11:26:39 AM reply with quote send message to Kennel SkyHaven Object to Post

I would not consider myself in the breed, I am showing one for someone and only the other day picked up two pups to possibly breed for traits... Trying to find a breed that is fun, but honestly I am not a fan of not using handlers in shows that require them for group consideration. Implying that our advice was for our own benefit doesn't help. I think I will pass on this breed.

In the end, do what you want. After competing in Showdog for over ten years... try not to get attached to anything you sell. People FH and resell at the drop of a hat...or disappear. I understand being upset after they let you down on a agreement... But that is going to happen, and sometimes people forget. I don't let anything go that I will regret, and if an arrangement falls through.. Oh well, but I won't do business with them again.

-----
Last edited by Kennel SkyHaven on 12/17/2016 11:28:20 AM
 PointyHead
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2016 7:11:46 PM reply with quote send message to PointyHead Object to Post

It's a game.

The vast range of human behaviours is here.

However we can't make $ out of this - we choose to play this game. If we don't like other players, we have a choice of getting out of the breed or the game.

Told a friend once that I was thinking of taking up stamp collecting to get away from the fools - she pointed out that you would never get away from the fools no matter what hobby you choose.

Don't name and shame someone who might have misunderstood your agreement ... or been incapable of following it through or had other pressures of which you are unaware. Take a deep breath and move on. Either play in your breed or move on. Either play in this game or move on. It's a game, the dogs aren't real, the good traits will come back, the SOPs will come back. Life hasn't ended because someone FHed dogs without your prior checking. Noone is taking you for a fool - we're all just playing the game to the best of our ability and pleasure.

This kennel was developed to break the 9.8 head wall in Pointers. Another player who didn't dedicate a kennel to it got to a 10 head first. Hey - we got there! They've used my studs, bought my girls and bred from them. I work with them to better the breed. If I am not as good a player as them, those kennels still work with me.

Will shut up now.

Edited because I can't spell

-----
Last edited by PointyHead on 12/18/2016 3:30:50 AM
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2016 9:31:20 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Sorry if I have not acted properly, the point at the beginning of the thread was to get advice, as although my dogs are doing well I am still new here and not sure about lots of things. Thanks very much for all the replies and advice.
It was never my intention to upset anyone, Sky Haven... I know I have a lot to learn. I'll shut up now.
-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 12/18/2016 3:57:36 AM

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 12/18/2016 4:06:39 AM
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2016 2:36:51 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

It's all a learning experience and we're all getting better because of it.

Replies in this thread : 14

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.