Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Do you breed using real life rules/conventions?
 jaime1985
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/21/2016 8:38:20 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post   

Another thread got me thinking, I was going to post on that thread but didn't want to derail and wanted to extend the question a bit.

There are breeds on here that half dogs that wouldnt be bred together in real life (at least in my country, the UK, I know things will differ from country to country)

2 merles wouldn't be bred together for ethical reasons.
A smooth collie wouldn't be bred with a rough as they are registered as two different breeds
The same with chihuahuas and the various sizes/coats on Dachshunds

So if you are in these breeds, how do you breed?
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2016 10:02:32 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

This is a game of showing dogs, though you didn't list my breed I find it interesting and it pertains a little as ridgeless ridgebacks are disqualification in the US, but not in Canada.

At this point, 124/5 generations later, there are only about two colors that show up, and the occasional ridgeless. Out of many color that where just bred out over the years because of quility, I assume.

I do feel guilt when I breed to those ridgeless ones, but only if I look at the color.
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2016 10:20:46 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I forgot about Ridgeless RR's!

As far as I am aware all vareties are showable on the game not like in rl where a white boxer or standard x mini dachs. But are people breeding agaisnt those varieties anyway?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2016 11:10:58 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

In the US rough and smooth Collies are often interbred. They are registered as the same breed - but are shown as different varieties.

I believe the same would be true for Dachshunds and Chihuahuas (those aren't my RL breeds so I'm not 100% positive) - they are not considered separate breeds here - just different coats and they are shown as different Varieties.

I will add that I don't breed Merle to Merle in the game.

jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2016 11:33:18 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

That is interesting to know Rhondacline, I think that I have heard it mentioned over here that it would helpful to the gene pool to breed smooth and rough collies together and someone had a "smooth" collie that was actually longhaired due to a throwback.

Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2016 12:39:58 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

The reason that these are not issues on SD I believe is because the colours and coat type (which was added at the same time) were not intended to be part of the main game but just a little sideevent. Colour and coat type is not part of the judging.

Now, I'm not really involved in any breeds with the merle issue although I have Salukis somewhere with the two coats. Different breeds in different countries do have different ways of dealing with this.

I for one would welcome at least some dialogue about adding these factors to shows - 6 varieties of Dachsies, 2 collies. (Canada recognises the longhair Weimaraner and wire Vizsla - they are accepted coat types though not, I believe, separate varieties/breeds.)

The double merle is a semi-lethal combination (can cause health problems but not necessarily death). I read somewhere a long time ago that the problems are more severe in those breeds that carry a significant amount of white (Collies) and less so in those breeds that are essentially solid (Dachshunds). Perhaps our judges should penalize the double merle?

I'm not sure we can get Jeff to address this issue at this time. I'd hate to see it partially implemented and end up generating bugs that may take forever to get addressed so we would need a firm committment from Admin before launching any changes.

Now personally, I don't like merle colouring but as breeders you should/could all adopt a practise of avoiding double merle breedings and in the case of coat, work on separating the varieties. This would be a first step in implementing any changes at the show level.
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/21/2016 12:43:28 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

As a dachshund breeder from the U.S. in real life, it is acceptable to crosscoat varieties, unlike the U.K. and other countries.. Now, it is not done frequently and I have never personally done so, but I know of others that have done so to bring in a trait that the other variety is lacking. That said, breeding wires to longs are a no-no, since no proper coat will come of that (puppy mill breeders call these "silkies"wink ;).

That said, in the game, I don't feel any qualms about breeding outside of ethical norms, since these are not real dogs and there are no consequences. I'll admit, I had a few double dapple dogs in my kennel back when I was first starting in LH/SH breeding and they did make me cringe. It is a game, though!

Em

-----
Last edited by Amoroso on 12/21/2016 12:44:08 PM
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/21/2016 12:43:28 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Double post happy :)

-----
Last edited by Amoroso on 12/21/2016 12:43:44 PM
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2016 11:14:57 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Beaucerons drive me crazy. Being one of my RL breeds, we never breed harl to harl and double Merle just doesn't exist. Lol
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
12/24/2016 11:59:05 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by Fourlorn
Beaucerons drive me crazy. Being one of my RL breeds, we never breed harl to harl and double Merle just doesn't exist. Lol
Perhaps the reason double merel doesn't exist is that you never breed harl to harl?

That was a question when your breed was coded- it was very difficult to find out what happens with merle to merle matings in Beaucerons. It is known that in some breeds, like Catahoulas, nothing much happens. But in other breeds, like Border Collies or Aussies or even Dachshunds, some very serious things happen and it is visibly noticeable. it was included because the information on what a double harl Beauceron looks like just couldn't be found.
 TinyTerrorsII
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2016 9:41:58 AM reply with quote send message to TinyTerrorsII Object to Post

In Canada....belgian shepherds are all one breed and often interbred...particularly gronendael (belgian sheepdog) to Tervs. Litters often pop out a mix of coats.
In the game they are separate breeds.
I never look at coat type or colours in any of my breeds....just traits. Its a game...other than COI there is no penalty for breedings, thank goodness..nor are there unwanted homeless puppies??

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler