Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Pigment and Tail
 Skyfall Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/13/2017 6:05:21 PM reply with quote send message to Skyfall Kennels Object to Post   

Hey everyone! I just purchased a puppy Bernese Mountain Dog (for show) and had a couple questions about him.

First, he has pink BELOW his nose. At what age does it stop filling in? He's only 9 weeks so I am not worried about it yet but he looks kind of silly with half of it filled in. Is there anything I can do to ensure in comes in?

Secondly, he carries his tail over his back sometimes.... he is a breed that is supposed to carry the tail straight out. I know puppies go through a stage where they carry their tails funny but at what age will his tail finally settle?

I know genetics has a huge part in both of these, but neither of the parents have either of these problems so i'm probably just worrying about nothing. Just wondering if anyone had any insight on these things.

Thanks!
 Crosscroft
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2017 7:43:20 PM reply with quote send message to Crosscroft Object to Post

If you bought this puppy as a potential show dog, I'm hoping you're still in contact with the breeder? That's going to be your best bet to answer these questions.

In my experience, the nose should fill in. Nothing you need to do, it will happen on it's own. Unsure about the tail though. Does he carry it high all the time? Or just when excited? That will tell you a lot.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/14/2017 10:29:20 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

I have seen a few pups with small amounts of pink on the nose, especially with the ones that have a lot of white on the face, it has usually come right if there is not much. Puppies of all breeds do carry their tails high, the important part is the actual tail set - where the tail meets the croup, if this is correct then the tail carriage should be correct as an adult. Though really confident dogs are sometimes inclined to 'fly' their tales when in a ring full of other stud dogs!

Good luck with the new pup and his career!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.