Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : When to stop showing and start breeding?
 Amytis
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/5/2017 11:21:41 AM reply with quote send message to Amytis Object to Post   

I finished my first GCH and now she's started to consistently finish with a DNP. I was wondering when some senior players decide to stop showing a bitch and start breeding.
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2017 11:26:13 AM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

Having played on Showcats for quite a while before coming over here, I would either start breeding when she was over the age limit for shows or if she was getting DNPs.

Not sure how other players here would do it though!
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/5/2017 11:45:45 AM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

Agree pretty much. No point in throwing away entry fees. On the other hand, I have a dog who finished a while ago and I just left him in shows out of laziness and because I have no one else to show in his place. He got DNP for a while and now he's placing and even winning groups. It just took him a while. So who knows? That's what makes the game so realistic.
 Bailey Barns
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/5/2017 1:29:26 PM reply with quote send message to Bailey Barns Object to Post

Depends on how often they get points and what I want out of them. Sometimes I take bitches out of shows for a litter and put them back in.
 In The Ghetto
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2017 3:40:48 PM reply with quote send message to In The Ghetto Object to Post

I tend to breed a bitch as soon as she hits 30 days. She's young enough to finish after the 5 day after puppies period, but is still relative enough to be bred. happy :)

I've gotten a title on a bitch before breeding her and by the time she was done, she had become irrelevant. Totally your call, and depends on your breed, as well. happy :)
 In The Ghetto
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2017 3:41:20 PM reply with quote send message to In The Ghetto Object to Post

And congrats on your first GCH!
 Hawkeye Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2017 4:28:18 PM reply with quote send message to Hawkeye Kennel Object to Post

Follow up comment, I would always enter in breed specific shows though, just because its nice to try for the nationals and you can kind of imagine it as a grand return.

Or is that just me?
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2017 3:11:17 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I don't show bitches past their championships. Dogs, I show until I need kennel space and don't need them as studs anymore.
 Amytis
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2017 11:03:22 AM reply with quote send message to Amytis Object to Post

Thank you for the information everyone, gives me something to think about.
 All Star Acres
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2017 2:51:24 PM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post

I would add too that it depends on your personal preferences/goals within the game. Some people have the most fun showing, and they aren't all that interested in the breeding side of things. If that's the case, you might find yourself with a bitch that's doing exceptionally in shows and hold off on breeding her until she's much older.

It also depends a little on breed I think. Some breeds only have a few players and the breed isn't to the point of getting group or show placements yet. In that case, you're probably better off focusing on breeding.

Showing can tell you a lot about the dog too... a so/so dog might consistently place amongst others with much higher SOPs... I personally would probably try breeding that one with a bitch that's also consistently placing, even if the SOP is just meh.

I've currently got several different breeds I'm playing with because I like the different aspects... my Dalmatians are exciting because the breed is right on the cusp; I've just recently gotten a few 2nd in shows and group placemats. I focus on "less is more" there and cull cull cull to only keep the very best. Then I've got a few Danes that I'm not attempting to show at all, just breed out some of the more interesting color combinations. My Italian Greyhounds are split as a breed because the solid colors were almost totally bred out of the gene pool. So I've been working to pull solid back in, but also maintain SOP at the same time so I can stay relevant as far as showing goes.

It all just depends.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2017 11:10:12 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

If I have enough bitches to show, I'll breed a good one at 30 day. She'll be back in the ring in 10 days time. If she turns out to be a big winner you can keep showing until she DNP. If she keeps winning and you don't want to stop showing, you have her hopefully very good pups coming on.
Or if there's a stretch of not great judges for her, give her a litter and come back. If she's in SWDC, breed her on the first day of the month and if she's still good enough, she'll have 20 days to have a crack at the next one.

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler