Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Is it rare for a veteran dog to win BOB?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/16/2017 5:10:57 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

A couple of questions for those who show (as I'm watching the AKC National Championship):

1. Is rare for a dog from the veteran class to win best of breed? And...

2. If a veteran dog wins its breed at a large event like the National Championship, is it most likely a "Specials" dog?
 Crosscroft
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2017 7:04:10 PM reply with quote send message to Crosscroft Object to Post

It is almost 100% of the time a "specials" dog meaning it's a champion. I would not call it rare, especially at national specialties for the veteran to win. A lot of veterans just don't enter, and most will usually be entered at a large/prestigious all breed like AKC royal canin or Westminster f they think they've got a good chance of winning.
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2017 9:51:24 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Not rare, atleast in my breed (akitas). We are a "slow maturing" breed that really doesn't look it's best until 5-6+. Veterans are 7+. Most of our top winning dogs are either veterans or almost a veteran. So I would say it's just dependent on the breed.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2018 10:54:26 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

Not rare in my breed either (labs.) The class is smaller so they get a better look, and a lot of active specials are over 7.

Know it happens a lot in setters too.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.