Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : How does it work?
 Rustic Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/27/2018 9:24:53 AM reply with quote send message to Rustic Dogs Object to Post   

I am getting overwhelmed with dogs, and was wondering which would be the best option.....

Should I get a family account, or should I just add new slots to my current kennel?....And are the slots like, 1 slot for one dog, or how does that work?....If it is one for one, how do other kennels seem to have so many dogs and still be able to breed- since you can only get 5 slots?

I hope someone can answer my question...Thank you
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2018 11:36:11 AM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

I have 3 standard Accounts.
I have added the maximum number of slots in each.
35 dogs.

This is good enough for me.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2018 12:20:50 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I have a family account with 5 kennels and it's a constant battle to stay under the 30-dog limit. If I had a 35-dog limit, it would be the same battle. If you are into breeding, it's a double-edged sword because if you get nice pups, you keep them, but then you have to start getting rid of adults, which I have a very hard time doing. I literally position my finger over the FH button and close my eyes when I push it. LOL
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2018 12:27:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have two families - 10 kennels. I have not added any slots. I generally have one breed to a kennel although I admit sometimes when I have overflow (usually its a project for colour or a certain trait and I need to keep a number of 14+ days until I can breed them) I will "board" some in other kennels if I have room there. I tend to be chronically overstocked (lol).

So, it depends on what you want to do, how much you are willing and able to spend in both time and money.

If you have three singles and want a fourth, you may as well get a family and add a fifth too. I believe the most you can add in extra slots is 5 - so 35 dogs instead of 30. For myself, I'd still find myself overstocked so I'd go the extra kennel.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/27/2018 12:33:57 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2018 12:46:51 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Having a lot of dogs and still breed and show has a lot to do with timing.

If you have a bunch of 12/13 day pups but still less than 31 adults (14 days+), you can still breed 10 bitches. Although you'll be over limit before they give birth they will do so.

Likewise, enter everyone in shows up to the end of the schedule - you'll still have show results for 2 or 3 weeks while over limit.

Once you are actually over, you will not be able to breed any more bitches nor enter any shows but you could still have show entries and pregnant bitches. Timing - lol.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/27/2018 12:55:00 PM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2018 1:26:50 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Timing... Exactly. I had 10 litters due in one kennel last week because I knew I was going over the day after they were all bred. Of course now I am going to face the consequences. Fortunately, the pups weren't very good. LOL

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.