Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 18

Author Topic : Looking for New Breeds...
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/9/2018 7:42:59 AM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post   

I am looking for new breeds to get into in some of my other kennels. Here are the things I am looking for:

The further from 100 the better. I'd like a breed where I have room to grow, as most of my breeds are in the high 90's and many are at 99 or over.
A breed where there are other kennels. I want a breed that needs help, but also one that has other kennels in it, as it isn't any fun when you're the only kennel in a breed.
Possible to get majors.
Friendly players.
I like dogs that work, so hounds, sporting, working or herding breeds are preferred.

Any suggestions???
 Icecapade
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2018 8:20:17 AM reply with quote send message to Icecapade Object to Post

You might try Australian Kelpies...

There are 9 other kennels, but it seems that I am the only one that is actively showing.

I have placed several really nice ones up for sale (on approval so that I can name them).

The SOP's range from the high 97's to the ones I have on approval, which are 98.45...

Feel free to claim a few for your own kennel as I will be FHing them in a few days due to feed cost.

Mamba
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2018 12:55:04 PM reply with quote send message to Mamba Object to Post

South African Boerboels could be what you're looking for
- SOP is just hitting 94, most dogs still in the 93's
- there are a few breeders actively showing
- you can get majors
- there are more colors, although there are no color pics
- it is a working breed
- there isn't any shortage of good dogs available for sale
- breeders are friendly
 Artesia
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2018 2:11:09 PM reply with quote send message to Artesia Object to Post

Come and check out Chows! I just got into them myself, but am having some fun so far.
SOP's in the mid 80's so lots of room for improvement, 2 different coats and lots of colours.
 Gymea
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2018 5:06:11 PM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post

Wirehaired Pointing Griffons.
Gundog group so a working breed.
6 colours (well, 2 with variations).
Can get majors.
Other kennels - one of whom has been great at getting good dogs back in some of the lesser colours.
Cheap studs.
Just pushing 94 in SOP.
Happy to set you up with good dogs and bitches.
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/9/2018 11:10:24 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Pharaoh Hound!

I just got a 94.85 a few days ago which I believe is the current high for the breed.

There are two other breeding kennels and the current showing top dog is 94.65.

www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Pharaoh_Hound.aspx

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio4 on 4/9/2018 11:14:54 PM
 Kennel SkyHaven
Basic User

Basic User
4/10/2018 12:00:00 AM reply with quote send message to Kennel SkyHaven Object to Post

Whippets could definitely use some new blood.. I have several that I could share to get you started. SOP is in the low 90s, and there are tons of colors. Someone generously made free pictures to use for all the colors as well.

Argentinian Dogos definitely need help.. I have a few that I could spare in that breed as well.

Dachshunds are definitely in the most need of help with SOP, they have tons of colors that need work. There are only one or two kennels other than me, but studs are available and they have let go of some nice pups. I recently won breed at the National with a pup I bought. He finished very quickly. This is a breed I have really started to fall for.. nice breeders and tons of potential.
 Icecapade
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2018 12:41:49 PM reply with quote send message to Icecapade Object to Post

Spanish Water Dog needs more players
 Frijsland
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2018 9:22:54 PM reply with quote send message to Frijsland Object to Post

Hi Bennett

Any decisions?
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2018 1:05:00 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

Brittanys! We're a sporting breed. laugh :D

I believe high SOP is 95.85 as of a few days ago. It is possible to get majors because Rivacre shows a lot, though I don't have many dogs in the ring at the moment because I only just started out as well haha.

We're friendly, though there are only two of us. XD I started around half a month ago and Rivacre was super helpful in giving me some broods and getting me up to speed! There is a third kennel that started a few days ago that seems to be specializing in color breeding.

On the topic of colors, Orange and White is by far the most dominant color. Behind that are Black and White and Liver and White. However, all of the tri colors are TOTALLY non-existent so you can only find them in source dogs so there is a source project going on because of that. XD Brittany SOPs for tris are in like, the 20.0s, so that's a big area to work on if you want to source breed a bit. laugh :D

I can't help you get started very well but I'd be happy to throw some pups at you, and I'm sure Rivacre can help out as well. ^-^
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2018 9:10:34 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

posted by Frijsland
Hi Bennett

Any decisions?

Right now, I picked Boerboels and Dogos, but I will be adding othe breeds as I get room in my other kennels. I just don't see the point of playing with dogs at 100 sop when all the othe breeders in the breed also have dogs at 100 sop. Unless the breeds go back to source dogs?
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2018 9:12:36 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

posted by Berry Brits
Brittanys! We're a sporting breed. laugh :D

I believe high SOP is 95.85 as of a few days ago. It is possible to get majors because Rivacre shows a lot, though I don't have many dogs in the ring at the moment because I only just started out as well haha.

We're friendly, though there are only two of us. XD I started around half a month ago and Rivacre was super helpful in giving me some broods and getting me up to speed! There is a third kennel that started a few days ago that seems to be specializing in color breeding.

On the topic of colors, Orange and White is by far the most dominant color. Behind that are Black and White and Liver and White. However, all of the tri colors are TOTALLY non-existent so you can only find them in source dogs so there is a source project going on because of that. XD Brittany SOPs for tris are in like, the 20.0s, so that's a big area to work on if you want to source breed a bit. laugh :D

I can't help you get started very well but I'd be happy to throw some pups at you, and I'm sure Rivacre can help out as well. ^-^

I will be doing these too, in a few days, as soon as some of my dogs become too old to show.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/15/2018 8:40:36 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Britts have alot of show placing potential as well.

Once you guys get the SOP a little higher, you probably will start placing well at the all breed level!

Will
 Picardy
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/16/2018 12:33:18 PM reply with quote send message to Picardy Object to Post

If you're still looking for a working breed that could use a bit of help, consider Dogue de Bordeaux! I have lots of very good pups available now, or would be happy to help when/if you want to get started wink ;)
 Cajun K9
Basic User

Basic User
4/18/2018 8:41:29 PM reply with quote send message to Cajun K9 Object to Post

posted by Picardy
If you're still looking for a working breed that could use a bit of help, consider Dogue de Bordeaux! I have lots of very good pups available now, or would be happy to help when/if you want to get started wink ;)
I will do this breed. I've wanted to for a while.
 Subzero
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2018 1:29:22 AM reply with quote send message to Subzero Object to Post

South African Boerboel are always looking for new friends happy :)
 UnicornWonderland
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2018 2:15:27 PM reply with quote send message to UnicornWonderland Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'll add to this post to keep it going.

Also looking for a new breed to get into, hopefully with lower stats and different color options.
I love both sides of the breeding when the breed has several colors available. happy :)
I am currently working on English Setter and just getting into Spanish Water Dog breed.

Suggestions?

-----
Last edited by UnicornWonderland on 4/25/2018 2:19:43 PM
 ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2018 2:20:55 PM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

Neapolitan Mastiffs! SOPs around 95, three active players, puppies and adults available, several colors.
 UnicornWonderland
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2018 6:45:50 PM reply with quote send message to UnicornWonderland Object to Post

posted by ESAN
Neapolitan Mastiffs! SOPs around 95, three active players, puppies and adults available, several colors.
Got a couple to start with, thank you for a suggestion! happy :)

Replies in this thread : 18

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.