Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Judge Ranking Tool
 Houndsome
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
5/25/2018 8:29:35 PM reply with quote send message to Houndsome Object to Post   

Hi all,

Have been out of the game for a while but I remember someone creating a tool that ranks judges based on specific dogs. Does such a thing still exist?

Thanks
 Millton
Basic User

Basic User
5/26/2018 2:56:11 AM reply with quote send message to Millton Object to Post

No Message.
 Millton
Basic User

Basic User
5/26/2018 2:57:22 AM reply with quote send message to Millton Object to Post

Don't think so..would be great. But we have so many judges now it would be a mammoth task!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/26/2018 11:55:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I might still have a version of it. Its in Excel.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
5/28/2018 10:30:48 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Gaylan....is that a chart or a calculator?

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 5/28/2018 10:31:13 AM
 Halcyon Design
Basic User

Basic User
5/28/2018 12:34:09 PM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Design Object to Post

It is this?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EKs5N9RiQH9rKPbL9jQJq4jj0eF2GkW9Kv0hq4nuMdo/htmlview
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/28/2018 8:32:02 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I haven't looked at it for some time but I believe it's sort of similar but includes a rating for a judge for a particular dog.

I'll do a computer search and get back to you.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/30/2018 3:31:43 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Yes, I do have a version of the tool which includes a rating for a number of judges for a particular dog. It gives a numeric score.

If memory serves me right, it is based on one someone else did earlier but I have done some additional work. I think I sent it to someone to evaluate but never heard back.

There is an additional element I was working on but that is not complete. The program does seem functional, however I don't know how accurate it is - that was where the "evaluation" came in before I spent additional development time.

The latest version is dated in 2015

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 5/30/2018 3:37:05 PM
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
6/3/2018 11:48:37 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Thank you. I have that link already..very useful. What I would love is a calculator where you type the dogs numbers in and it's best judges come up. Although it wouldn't account for hidden traits it would be fab! happy :)
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2018 6:48:39 AM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

I'd be interested in this as well. And cos I'm a geek I'd love to understand the whole "how judges can be better for some dogs that others" thing too - i.e. how you're calculating it?

I'm assuming it's something to do with weighting the scores for the traits that the judges like best? So two dogs with the same SOP can have different numbers - and one might have a 10 in the trait that's really important in that breed but if the other has a 10 in the trait the judge thinks is important then that might win?

XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2018 10:16:55 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Back when I only had one kennel I did something like that, created a formula, but it was really complicated and I gave up on it probably 8 years ago!

Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2018 2:28:14 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

If folks are interested in this Excel program, I'm willing to have it passed around - I don't actually use it because I enter mostly by owner-handler and current entry data.

Currently it has two separate worksheets - one contains the judge data and needs to be updated periodically. This normally just sits in the background.

The "Front Page" has a place at the top to enter the dogs traits. There is room for several judges. I have a bit more work to do on it but I have it so you only need to enter the judges name (got this working just a few days ago) and it retrieves the judges data, does a calculation and gives a numerical rating for that dog under each judges.

It does not take into consideration the newer judges profile info(favours dogs/bitches, etc.), just the relative high/low trait comparison and I have no idea how accurate it is.

If you want to give it a go, I need a real email so I can attach the file (PM this to me) and I need another week or so to complete the judge lookup thing.

Some enterprising Excel geek might want to produce a reverse form of this - a data base of your dogs instead of the judges - where you enter the judges data at the top and it rates all your dogs for that judge.

Now, personally, I don't like these things I think they ruin the game but they are certainly an interesting Excel project.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2018 2:32:30 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Obviously this game thinks I am overly verbose. Lol!
 Linton Farms
Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2018 6:38:44 PM reply with quote send message to Linton Farms Object to Post

Lol I'm definitely interested although I don't know if I'll use it long term!
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2018 8:34:48 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I would love to take a look at it.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
6/5/2018 4:13:27 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

(Also Millton kennel)
happy :)
Overly verbose? No, it's great that you post so much. Always good stuff.

I'd love to have a go at using it, thank you. Let me know when you are ready and I'll message you my email. happy :) I'm on Android would it work ok, have Google docs.
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
6/5/2018 8:11:56 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

Would love to use it as well! I think it will be very valuable.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/5/2018 11:56:45 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Lol. Ok I'll finish up what I'm trying to do and let you all know when its ready.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.