Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Possible to get 0 COI?
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/4/2018 1:21:34 PM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post   

I had to start from source dogs with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. I'm trying to prevent any inbreeding and keeping COI at 0. So far I have gotten up to 6 generations with a 0 COI but that was only because I ended up using a male source dog. My question is, how many generations has anyone gotten up to and is it possible to have a line without any inbreeding. Currently all kennels except for 1 have started their own line so I am unable to use older gen. dogs.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2018 4:30:45 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

It’s super hard to keep a line with no inbreeding, especially in one kennel. You’d have to keep separate lines within your own kennel which would be super tricky without a ton of kennel space. If you don’t use source studs for breeding I’d be surprised if you managed to get even 3 generations of 0 COI pups, but I’ve never tried!

Right now in Manchester Terriers there are separate strains from different kennels so I’ve managed to make 0 COI for a few breedings and they’re at generation 110. That required a few kennels though and the parents themselves had COI that was 5+ or so.

I don’t see much point in keeping 0 COI though, as long as the percentage doesn’t climb too much I don’t think it really makes a difference?
 Foxfire Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2018 12:14:12 PM reply with quote send message to Foxfire Kennel Object to Post

There are a few other chessie breeders. I could be wrong but I seem to be the most active player trying to get SOP up. But for the most part I am trying to keep chessies as pure as possible, like I said, I am now up to 6 generations with a 0 COI. I'm just curious as to how many generations people have gotten up to before starting to inbreed.

Replies in this thread : 2

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.