Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Breeding advice: source dogs
 Star Strike
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/27/2019 5:56:21 AM reply with quote send message to Star Strike Object to Post   

Ok so I’ve decided to start with source dogs and work my way up. The first 4 litters I had did not turn out so great.... SOPs were lower than their parents. I’ve been trying to match them up the best I can such as if one dog has 20 of a trait I try to match with a 0 of that trait.... is that the best way to do it or should I be trying to match the same numbers such as matching a 20 to a 20 rather than a 0?

Any and al advice about breeding source dogs to get higher SOPs would be greatly appreciated happy :)
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2019 11:51:37 AM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

The first few generations will be lower than the parents. In my experience it doesn't matter what the SOP is on the parents, they'll all throw pretty consistent litters. In Anatolians that has been an SOP of around 6. Matching a 20 to a 0 won't really do anything, so I just keep track of the dogs who do have traits that start to deviate from those numbers. It's definitely a waiting game for the first few generations.

I haven't been breeding them for enough generations to really know when it starts to turn around, so hopefully some of the long term source breeders will also chime in.
 El Dorado
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2019 12:42:32 PM reply with quote send message to El Dorado Object to Post

Here is a thing for you to do if you want to better see where you are at in your breedings...

On your main page (the My Account page) click on
Account Settings (about midway down your page)
then look for the one that says Old Ratings...click that so it is turned on

You may have to exit your kennel after that before you can see the old ratings SOPs

Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2019 4:46:38 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Ideal values for each trait are 10, with the exception of ShowShine which is 20.

Matching traits is a good strategy but I think you might do better by looking for the numbers to be as close to 10 (or 20) as you can. If the bitch has a 20 for head, and you have males with o, 3, and 14, I'd use the 14 - its closer to 10 but you do have all the other traits to consider. The 0 might work to get you closer to 10 but you might just get a 3.

I haven't done much source-source breeding but breeding for closest to 10 has been my strategy when trying to breed up from source (Weimaraners). If you are stuck at say 9.8, then maybe look for a 10.2.

Star Strike
Basic User

Basic User
3/28/2019 1:05:48 AM reply with quote send message to Star Strike Object to Post

Thanks so much for the info.

How much does it matter how even the generations are? Like would you breed say a G1 dog to a G8 dog? Or is it best to keep them fairly even? Such G1 to G1 or G1 to G2?
 Pembroke Pixie Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/28/2019 5:17:48 AM reply with quote send message to Pembroke Pixie Kennel Object to Post

True source breeding is 1 to 1, 2 to 2 but its up to you happy :)
 GaylanStudio1
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/28/2019 4:15:06 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If you breed your source dogs to other source dogs, you will progress but more slowly. If you breed source to higher generation you will "usually" progress faster.

It's the same idea as looking at the traits - always breed as close to 10, trait by trait as possible.

At first you can go by the SOP number - if your source is at 20, you will almost certainly get dogs better than that if you breed to an SOP of 80 or 90 or more, if there are some available.

Personally, I never pay any attention to that generation number because if you breed a gen-1 to a gen-10, the pups will be gen-11. If you breed two gen-10 dogs together, the pups will also be gen-11 but these gen-11's will not be equal. If you are breeding dogs that are all around the same generation - 1's to 2's to 3's, or 20's to 21's to 22's it makes little difference.

So, it depends on whether you want to get competitive dogs faster or the satisfaction of building your own line from the ground up.

I've never been a "source" breeder. I want to show my dogs and I want them to win so, I breed to the best available.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio1 on 3/28/2019 4:19:44 PM

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.