Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Competitive and the Negative of the sport
 This Old Barn
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/15/2019 3:59:43 PM reply with quote send message to This Old Barn Object to Post   

I used to compete in AKC agility for about 7 years. One was at national level the other one was working on getting his Master title.
I haven’t competed in 7 years now and miss it however idk when or if I ever will do it again. I stop competing since I had a falling out at the only training facility near me who also hold/host most of the trials in my area. I try not to spend money on places that I object to.

- I got sick of being told I couldn’t train and there was never any seminar I could attend since “no class was at my dogs level”. We were never THAT advanced and in my opinion there is no such thing as you can’t learn more.

- I also found out the owner of the facility was gossiping and spreading false information about a situation I was going thru to multiple people in different classes.

- When I did attend some fun matches/ competition the owner(who host the trials) would be on the side line talking down about all of her students and I realized I just didn’t want to spend my money on a place that tears people down.

- I also saw how people would breed bad temperament, misrepresent their dogs, and then blame the owner for the dogs temperament. One dog was aggressive that we had to keep our dogs away however a lot of people turn a blind eye and support the breeding of said dog since that dog had nice runs.

I know I’m not alone with frustration with the competitive world. Are you still competing? How do you put up with it?
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
8/15/2019 9:02:35 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

I never did agility or anything real like that. I live walking distance from our local kennel club (and I have sciatic nerve, so my walking distance is pretty short). My grandmother got a German Shepherd bitch many, many, many years ago and took it there to be trained in some sort of group obedience training thing. All of the trainers there were related (mom, dad, daughters) and constantly were telling my grandmother that it was wrong of her to have had her bitch spayed. They kept nagging her before she was spayed to let them breed their male to her (at the time, her bitch was six months old). From that experience alone, I decided that I would never join that club. My then 70 year old grandmother should not have to go through any of that for trying to be a responsible dog owner. I think the classes were something like $250 dollars.
Since I breed and enjoy showing dogs, I pretty much only go to an extremely small handful of shows a year. I don't really run into a whole lot of competition. Like, yeah, I compete with people. But I don't really know them and they don't really know me. We recognize each other's names, but that is about it. I prefer it that way. That is how I deal with the frustrations of the people at shows. The people who bugged my grandmother are at every show and it seems like there are a lot of people like that at the shows I go to. So, when we are at the shows, I bring my little cousin and my grandmother and we mostly just socialize among ourselves. We get shredded chicken sandwiches and chit-chat about our most recent crafts, big ideas and where we want to meet next weekend for breakfast.
I don't know if my story adds much, but hopefully it adds something. I know not all of the other people are to blame. Sometimes I think I am socially awkward and just prefer not to socialize with everyone.
 This Old Barn
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2019 12:15:37 PM reply with quote send message to This Old Barn Object to Post

Lol I’m totally socially awkward also. And thanks for replying. I’m not on fb anymore so I only use boards or forums for online purposes. I was thinking of moving to ID and possibly start training//competing over there if I can find a training place. Different people and I was planning on keep lying to myself away from drama unfortunately it would be going solo until I make new friends.
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2019 4:48:22 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

Idaho is pretty nice. My cousin is going to school there. Have you tried other sports? I have some friends that were into weight pulling and they really enjoyed it.
 This Old Barn
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2019 4:47:01 PM reply with quote send message to This Old Barn Object to Post

Yes. The owner is part of all the clubs who host trial out here.
But I have done some obedience, conformation, and herding classes. My one dog I was told was at the advance level for obedience, and herding. The dog I attempted to do conformation didn’t enjoy it. But I was a green person trying to do it. So that might have been me. Now none of my dogs would qualify for conformation being all spayed and neuter. The 2 I’m looking to do stuff with are not even AKC register (one has ABCA registered and the other one is a mix).

We have done some training for nose work at home but the closest training place for that, that I could find is 4 hours away.

Flyball has always sounded fun other then it is hard on the dogs. But that closest place is 2 hours away and I was worry about commitment. They advised you have to make all training and trials. I don’t make enough to afford that type of gas plus competition fee. I can afford casual not competitive atm.

I liked herding but again the closest spot is 2 hours away and we don’t have livestock we can train on. And I live in the city so we aren’t allowed to own livestock. Lol was thinking of getting ducks to herd but that is not allowed where I live.

Ik barn hunt exists but I’m allergic to hay and rats/mice.

None of my dogs enjoyed dock diving.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
9/16/2019 5:36:13 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Sorry youve had such bad luck with your local clubs. I hope you find a way to enjoy competing with your dogs. Are you in a postition to start your own club, maybe in a new location, if you decide to move, that doesnt already have one? Try not to let the gossip mongers get to you and rise above it. happy :)
 shinra
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/23/2020 6:29:25 PM reply with quote send message to shinra Object to Post

So sorry you haven't had good luck.

I find agility clubs can be hit or miss :/
 shinra
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/23/2020 6:30:32 PM reply with quote send message to shinra Object to Post

I haven't competed in years and when I did it was at the novice level. I will be training my current pup and next (planned) BC this year and I do plan to compete with them.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.