Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Genetic Testing
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/23/2019 4:52:47 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post   

Just out of curiosity do you genetic test your dogs before breeding? What do you use if you do? I recently used Optimal Selection and was super impressed. Like, I talked to the vet for an hour about the results and she was super amazing.
 Whiskey Mac
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2019 4:55:51 PM reply with quote send message to Whiskey Mac Object to Post

We don't breed, but I did get my rescue dog genetic tested. It was incredibly interesting. As it turns out, he's a high-content coyote hybrid! We would have never guessed, he looks like a small Cattle Dog/Shepherd mix.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/23/2019 4:59:36 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

From what I have been told, the more mixes in your dog lowers the accuracy of the genetic or DNA tests.
 Somersett
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2019 9:18:51 AM reply with quote send message to Somersett Object to Post

I have done genetic testing for specific breed issues thru UC Davis. I am doing breed diversity genetic testing in September for my pack as they are having a sale because the Nationals is next month. I have done DNA parentage testing thru AKC when I had 2 males even though I knew the father wanted no doubt in anyone else’s mind. I find all genetic testing results very interesting happy :)
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2019 3:20:12 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

posted by Somersett
I have done genetic testing for specific breed issues thru UC Davis. I am doing breed diversity genetic testing in September for my pack as they are having a sale because the Nationals is next month. I have done DNA parentage testing thru AKC when I had 2 males even though I knew the father wanted no doubt in anyone else’s mind. I find all genetic testing results very interesting happy :)
I've thought about doing the AKC genetic thing but just haven't because I'm mixed. Seems like quite a few smaller breeders for cane corsi do it for all of their dogs (breeders, exhibition and all puppies). I didn't think it was necessary, but what do you think? I've just never felt it was needed. I know I get a magazine every few months and they talked about that it is very useful for bitches that have a short reproductive life so you can breed her to several studs and get the most out of each breeding.

Like I said, I did Optimal Selection. A lot of cane corso breeders around here use Wisdom Panel and I don't see why. I talked to the one vet at Optimal Selection for almost an hour the one day and they are just so extremely nice and super knowledgeable.
Here are my dog's results:
https://os.genoscoper.com/crm/animal/os/BR06093/pass
https://os.genoscoper.com/crm/animal/os/BR10185/pass
That is for my newest stud and bitch. We really, really, really enjoyed the whole process. There is even a thing to compare other dogs in the breed and in general. They even have a little match making thing so you can see other dogs that might pair well with your dog.
https://os.genoscoper.com/crm/index.html#os/breeds/519248a83cd390a052000042/cane_corso/disorders
I've had nothing but a great time and thinking about doing the other dogs in Optimal Selection.
 Whirlaway Welsh Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2019 11:32:39 AM reply with quote send message to Whirlaway Welsh Terriers Object to Post

I’ve tested all my adult breeders with the AKC DNA test and if I have 2 males (only had that once . Mature and a pup) I tested the litter so there could be no question of parentage. I don’t think all this is necessary but I’m a small breeder and just do it. I do my breed specific DNA testing for genetic diseases thru UC Davis on adults and all litters. This I feel is very important.
I’m doing diversity testing thru UC Davis in September for all my breeding adults.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.