Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Flies
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/7/2007 9:18:46 PM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post   

Has any one else got flies early this year?
They are really bad here in Perth my poor dog ears have been attacked already.
Ive been putting vaseline on the until i found out that my other dog is just licking it off so i bought the proper stuff but now the flies are hanging off her back.
Ive also got some spray stuff to put under the patio to get rid of bugs for a few months but she tends to sunbake or hide under the trailer and get eaten by flies.
Does any one know of any thing else that i can try to get rid of the flies that are annoying my poor dog?
Also they dont hassle my Border Collie at all just the Ridgeback X any suggestions why i was thinkin because of the coat difference.

Thunderstruck Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2007 9:31:56 PM reply with quote send message to Thunderstruck Kennel Object to Post

I heard that giving your dog A LITTLE bit of garlic can help keep bugs away, but Gabby doesn't have bug problems so I'm not sure. Too much garlic can be fatal though.
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2007 10:20:17 PM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

like minced garlic you buy in the jar or like a bit or garlic?
 anthemforafallenstar
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2007 10:32:02 PM reply with quote send message to anthemforafallenstar Object to Post

you can actually buy dog food that has garlic in it. i cant remember the brand name though. its a dry food/kibble. It helps keep fleas and ticks off as well.
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2007 12:43:00 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

really???
Havnet seen any in my travels.
If you remember what its called please post so i can look it up
thanks
rachael
 anthemforafallenstar
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2007 12:46:33 AM reply with quote send message to anthemforafallenstar Object to Post

i think, dont quote me on it, that it was pedigree? my mums dogs loved it, and they didnt have fleas or ticks while they were on it.
 Keavine Dobies
Basic User

Basic User
11/9/2007 3:22:22 PM reply with quote send message to Keavine Dobies Object to Post

Go to a produce store/feed merchants and they sell sprays and creams you can put on horses and dogs to keep the bugs away it works really well on my horse but never had to use it on the dogs!
cant remember what the name of it is though.....will try and find out later when I go feed my horse.
 Arkadian Utopia
Basic User

Basic User
11/16/2007 6:40:34 PM reply with quote send message to Arkadian Utopia Object to Post

I make up a mix of vinegar and the juice from minced garlic and mist my dogs ears and back, that seems to stop the flies, and its an antiseptic X disinfectent for his ears (he scratched his ears bloody before I sprayed him)
I use it on our cat too, just a little bit, and he doesn't seem bothered by the flies or the spray.
And it doesn't smell that bad either, plus its cheap and chemical free.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.