Search

.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Dock crop and dew claw ban
 concerned 4 our future
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/11/2010 10:55:44 AM reply with quote send message to concerned 4 our future Object to Post   

Just a heads up there is a petition on the internet that is about saving our rights as breeders. It talks about Breed standards being of the welfare interest to the breed which crops and docks and removes dew claws as apart of their breed standard.
The CVMA has classified that this procedures are only cosmetic and are of no benefit to the breed.
The petition says that they are of benefit to the breed and that the breed standards are based with the the welfare interest of the breed in mind.
If you should wish to view this petition here is a link.
www.thepetitionsite.com/8/stop-the-canadian-veterinary-medical-association-in-furthering-the-dockcropdew-claw-removal-ban
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 12:48:28 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Too bad the arguments the petition makes are so weak. Breed standards? a standard can be changed. History is not very relevant either (lots of traditions have changed because people realized they were wrong). If you want to fight this you really need to talk about the health issues, many of the docked breeds are docked to prevent future injury in the field which is much more painful than being docked at a few days of age. Same with dew claw removal.
Cropping though is pretty indefensible now a days because it was for serious guard dogs which are pretty much obsolete now.

grif,
 Irish Creme
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 2:13:24 PM reply with quote send message to Irish Creme Object to Post

irish terriers/ other breeds need our help.contact your congressman/lawmakers now.
 Pack Territory
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 8:28:24 PM reply with quote send message to Pack Territory Object to Post

Coming from a docked breed myself, bans dont bother me at all. I have had natural tailed dogs of my breed for YEARS and have yet to have any issues in the field or else where. That argument is getting very old. Yes dogs get hurt in the field...the most common injury I have are on the feet. Breed standards will change, people will have their tantrums and then get over it.
The facts are in the evidence, there have been studies done in Europe for quite some time now and they have not hand any more tail injuries since the docking ban then they did when dogs were traditionally docked.
I am not trying to start a fight but honestly...leaving all dogs body parts intact is not the end of the world.
 Pack Territory
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 8:28:26 PM reply with quote send message to Pack Territory Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

double post...
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 8:36:34 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I never got the "to prevent injury" to tails bit. Some bird dogs have tails docked presumibly for this reason, but then what about all the other bird dogs that don't have tails docked? In my breed, Pembrokes, they like to quote "so cows don't step on them" but then the Cardigan W. Corgi has a tail. Aussies don't, BC's do. And quite frankly the majority of dogs aren't hunting or herding dogs any more, they're pets. Pretty much the same with ears but less so like Griffin says.

I wouldn't really like the looks of a tailed Pembroke, but I sure didn't like docking. Would be ok with a ban.

Yes, sometimes individuals do have tail issues where they bam their tail so hard they really do need to be docked. And dewclaws can cause problems greater than the quick removal at birth would cause.

Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2010 9:17:03 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by Pack Territory
Coming from a docked breed myself, bans dont bother me at all. I have had natural tailed dogs of my breed for YEARS and have yet to have any issues in the field or else where. That argument is getting very old. Yes dogs get hurt in the field...the most common injury I have are on the feet. Breed standards will change, people will have their tantrums and then get over it.
The facts are in the evidence, there have been studies done in Europe for quite some time now and they have not hand any more tail injuries since the docking ban then they did when dogs were traditionally docked.
I am not trying to start a fight but honestly...leaving all dogs body parts intact is not the end of the world.

Yet leaving dogs intact can and does cause an uproar. They're both optional procedures. I've seen a lot more problems associated with spays and neuters then I have from cropping and docking by a professional.
 Pack Territory
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2010 1:31:30 AM reply with quote send message to Pack Territory Object to Post

posted by Wildsyde
I never got the "to prevent injury" to tails bit. Some bird dogs have tails docked presumibly for this reason, but then what about all the other bird dogs that don't have tails docked? In my breed, Pembrokes, they like to quote "so cows don't step on them" but then the Cardigan W. Corgi has a tail. Aussies don't, BC's do. And quite frankly the majority of dogs aren't hunting or herding dogs any more, they're pets. Pretty much the same with ears but less so like Griffin says.

I wouldn't really like the looks of a tailed Pembroke, but I sure didn't like docking. Would be ok with a ban.

Yes, sometimes individuals do have tail issues where they bam their tail so hard they really do need to be docked. And dewclaws can cause problems greater than the quick removal at birth would cause.

exactly!! then theres the English pointer vs. the German Shorthaired pointer. Both used for exactly the same thing one is tailed the other is docked.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.