.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 34
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Mix or Pure
 Pearl City
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/3/2010 2:37:32 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Does any one here rather have mix breeds then pure breeds? or visa versa? I was just wondering.For me it does'nt matter at all! I could have a mix or pure breed,but as long that I have a dog and a companion Iam good laugh :D
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2010 2:43:35 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I prefer purebreds, you generally know what the temperament, size, and energy level is going to be.
 Liddo Dipper Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2010 3:27:37 PM reply with quote send message to Liddo Dipper Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I actually really love mixes.
I work at a vet clinic and we're very involved with our local shelters.
My mom, who also works at the same clinic, always brought home shelter dogs and an assortment of other animals throughout my younger years.
Even though we also had purebreds, usually pembroke corgis, we mainly took in adult mix dogs.

So, I guess mix breed/second chance dogs will always have a place in my heart.

In addition, I enjoy the mystery of not knowing what a mix puppy will grow up to look and act like.
: )
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2010 8:50:08 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

posted by Liddo Dipper Kennels
I actually really love mixes.
I work at a vet clinic and we're very involved with our local shelters.
My mom, who also works at the same clinic, always brought home shelter dogs and an assortment of other animals throughout my younger years.
Even though we also had purebreds, usually pembroke corgis, we mainly took in adult mix dogs.

So, I guess mix breed/second chance dogs will always have a place in my heart.

In addition, I enjoy the mystery of not knowing what a mix puppy will grow up to look and act like.
: )

Me Too!! Right now I have a cocker spaniel that I adopted named Chico and a lad/husky/chow chow mix named Chocolate,I also adopted him aswell and very soon like in a month Iam getting a CKCS puppy.
 Liddo Dipper Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2010 9:15:51 PM reply with quote send message to Liddo Dipper Kennels Object to Post

Me Too!! Right now I have a cocker spaniel that I adopted named Chico and a lad/husky/chow chow mix named Chocolate,I also adopted him aswell and very soon like in a month Iam getting a CKCS puppy.
Very cool!

Right now, we have an akita/st bernard named Larry and an extremely overweight chihuahua/pug named Missy.
To be honest, I never was a big fan of chihuahuas or pugs, but Missy really does have a cute personality.
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2010 9:34:25 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

posted by Liddo Dipper Kennels

Very cool!

Right now, we have an akita/st bernard named Larry and an extremely overweight chihuahua/pug named Missy.
To be honest, I never was a big fan of chihuahuas or pugs, but Missy really does have a cute personality.
Haha lol I never really liked toy breeds,but when I saw Lani(the ckcs puppy that Iam getting)I fell I love with small breeds!
 Zikka
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2010 4:08:51 AM reply with quote send message to Zikka Object to Post

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

I've had a lab and GDS pure bred and they were highly strung and way too much work.

Now have a rottweiler/staff mutt and he's excellent. Very intelligent and so easy to live with. He sheds buckets of hair though, tons of grooming needed for such a short coat happy :)

doggysrockdude
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2010 6:15:37 PM reply with quote send message to doggysrockdude Object to Post

its so hard to choose... i love my lab cocker spainel mix (i have had her since i was 2) and i love my pembroke welsh corgi (i have wanted a corgi since i was 2 or 3)
 Snowed In Buhunds
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2010 6:23:15 PM reply with quote send message to Snowed In Buhunds Object to Post

Also hard for me to choose. I love my mixed breed sled dogs, but I also have some purebreds I am very fond of.

If you twisted my arm and I had to pick one or the other, I'd have to say mixed breeds.

Jonah
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2010 8:58:27 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Older post replying to here. I prefer purebreds as you have a much better idea of the temperament and behavior you're going to get. I like Pembrokes for what they are. The 2nd to last one was very disappointing as she was only skin-deep Pembroke, didn't at all have the typical corgi temperament that I like. It wasn't the best match for me.

Mixes have such a lovely diversity of sizes, shapes, and colors, that's really fun! And you can now do AKC agility, obed, rally, etc with them now too.
 Blue Ridge Farms
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2010 10:17:42 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Ridge Farms Object to Post

I've never owned a mixed breed dog, only a yellow Lab and a beagle. Our Lab was the sweetest dog on earth. Our beagle - well, she's a beagle. wink ;) Very hyper. 'Nough said.

My neighbor has a dog that is really sweet and energetic. I'm pretty sure she's a mixed breed, but not sure what breeds. She extremely fast, so I'm thinking maybe a little Greyhound or something in there?

So, if I had to choose, I'd probably say...tie?? Maybe purebred. I don't know, such a hard choice!

Blue Ridge
 Bubbledogs
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/20/2010 12:07:27 PM reply with quote send message to Bubbledogs Object to Post

Neither matters to me. If you cross two adorable breeds together you get an even cuter breed. Teehee.

Purebreds are always nice as well.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
11/21/2010 7:26:55 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

I really like both, I really have no prefrence XD

All 3 dogs I've owned have been purebred(I'm only 14, and so i didnt have a ton of choicerazz :p), but the Lab was because my neighbor breeds labs and we fell in love with Dieselhappy :)

The two Shih Tzus we have now are because my mom wanted a dog that didnt shed. After having a black lab and light colored floor...well, she said no more shedders XD

I love both a lot. I love the conformation of a purebred, but a mixie...i love the surprise of seeing one as a puppy then growing up, watching how big it gets, and what it looks like as an adultrazz :p

~IJMB
 AmazingDixie
Basic User

Basic User
12/8/2010 5:17:14 PM reply with quote send message to AmazingDixie Object to Post

I like both. The purebred dog is nice because a lot of the time you know what the dog will look and act like as an adult. I think a lot of the purebreds have a regalness to them that most mixed breeds don't. I've owned back yard breeder purebreds and show dog purebreds. I still have to say the most loyal, most intelligent, best companion I've ever had was a mutt. A mutt that was tossed with her littermates at a railroad crossing to die. She is my best friend.
 Zeebles Finest Furries
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2010 6:56:27 AM reply with quote send message to Zeebles Finest Furries Object to Post

I like both also. I have purebreds, but I would like a mutt if I was allowed to have another dog. Mutt or purebred really. Ever see the movie "Marmaduke"? They're all just dogs. As long as they're friendly, I love them. And I want to rescue every mutt I see on the side of the road. Or purebred.

Zeebles
 Croy Creek Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2010 7:25:17 AM reply with quote send message to Croy Creek Kennel Object to Post

For me, I can't choose! It's like telling me to pick a favorite out of my children. lol

I love my purebred dogs but if I had to choose I'd go with a shelter mutt any day.

Amber
 Skylar2010
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 12:41:32 AM reply with quote send message to Skylar2010 Object to Post

Mixes!!

I've only owned 2 purebreds and they had the worst random health problems. My mixes have all been really healthy but one. (Runt of the litter and dumped in a ditch before needed to be weaned) In my opinion mixes seem to have the least amount of health issues. Just from my experience tho.
 Zeebles Finest Furries
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 6:52:13 AM reply with quote send message to Zeebles Finest Furries Object to Post

I actually do want a mix. To go along with my 2 purebreds happy :)
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2010 7:29:06 AM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

I actually prefer mixes. Purebreads are prettier but mixes are a lot healthier and i like em.
 Awwwsome Aussies
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2010 9:32:19 AM reply with quote send message to Awwwsome Aussies Object to Post

Honestly, I'm a little messy on this answer happy :) I'm on the Board of Directors on an Animal Welfare committee that helps place animals, so I'm a HUGE advocate for mixed breeds and adoption!

However...I have 2 purebred Ragdoll cats, and 1 purebred Australian Shepherd. I blame some of it from growing up in a household of all purebreds, but honestly, when I thought of having kids of my own in the next year or two, I wanted to KNOW my pets' histories and expected personalities. That's why I went purebred. I wanted certainty on things.

On the other hand! Mixes are GOOD! My purebred Aussie has major food allergies, common in this breed. I'd almost guarantee that an Aussie mix doesn't have these allergies nearly as often as the purebreds.
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2010 4:02:21 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

It depends on what I plan to do. Of course my dogs are always my best friends and companian, but I always have an urge to show. If I were to show i conformation I would kind of have to get a purebred, but I generally like performance events. So I guess it doesn't really matter to me.happy :)

Replies in this thread : 34
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.