Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Undescended testes in 4 month old puppy
 showcavaliers
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/1/2011 1:32:51 PM reply with quote send message to showcavaliers Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by showcavaliers on 11/4/2017 6:50:15 PM
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 1:56:18 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Interesting,

The hormones produced in the testes have many effects during growth and maturation. I expect he has testes since the growth/development of the penis is highly dependent on testes hormones. But its certainly possible that the testes are underdeveloped.

Have you talked to the vet about it, often they can feel the testicles even if they haven't descended yet.

grif,
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 4:41:29 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

I normally have females, but have had some aquaintances who have had them not drop in some of their dogs. This, from what I have heard, is almost like a bitch coming in season. This can happen at different times in the same litter and is different between breeds. From what I have heard, most didn't get too concerned as long as it didn't get much over six months. This is when they started getting concerned and consulted a vet. You might want to ask your vet for a time line to start getting more concerned about this if they haven't already given you one. Know from what I head it's a more expensive procedure to remove them if they don't drop natually. Know this doesn't help much, but is an interesting topic. Will have to look into this some more when I get a chance and hopefully find some more info for you.

It's all for the breed, Weims.
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/1/2011 5:54:48 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

Have you spoken with the breeder or your vet and had them check to make sure they can even feel the testes and if they are able to pull them down into the correct place? Many many boy puppies play "yo-yo" with their testicles until they are heavy enough to hang properly...but you should easily be able to feel them and move them into the correct position (please dont go digging for them if you dont know what you are looking/feeling for, you could end up doing more damage than good. Let someone experienced show you how to do it first)
If they cant find them, you would be looking at doing a VERY expensive neutering, since the vet will have to do an exploritory in order to local them to remove them.
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 7:23:23 PM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

Thanks Grandiose, was just coming in to say about the same thing after doing some research on it. From what I have researched your dogs age is still at the point where they can move up and down, and stress can also cause this to happen at this age. The Vet with a simple exam should be able to determine if they are easily moved and is not of big concern because some can be late droppers if they can be easily moved. By the time line on my research, your dog is behind but this can happen.

It's all for the breed, Weims.

ETA, he is a cute little guy. Weims
 Palmetto Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 9:13:24 PM reply with quote send message to Palmetto Kennels Object to Post

We just got Rio fixed a couple of weeks ago and he had one undescended teste, we always thought we could feel it but couldn't get it down. The vet did a quick ultrasound and found it right beside his bladder. His neuter went excellently and because the ultrasound was done to locate it only a small second incision was needed to remove it.

I would strongly recommend an ultrasound to locate it if it comes to that, otherwise it may be necessary to do a large incision and exploratory surgery, which is a harder more expensive option for your boy to go through. Rio's neuter only cost us about $100 more than a regular neuter would have, not sure what other vets cost though for the surgery.

Rio was about a year (just shy by a couple of days) when we got him fixed, we waited until he was older because he was such a big puppy we didn't want to put him under anaesthetic until he was closer to being finished growing because we didn't want to have issues with his growth plates. I don't think this would really affect a smaller breed like cavs.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to discuss our experience with this if you want to PM me.

Good luck with your boy, he's very cute.
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 9:41:05 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Had one pup I bred have them decend 2 wks (couldn't ever find them as a pup) before he was neutered at 6 months old. Good for the owners, tho alas not for me. He was pick of the litter, and the male that was 2 picks back was a 2x specialty WD. Not good keeping a dog like that that retains them so long in the genetic pool tho, so him being petted out was for the best anyhow.

So, there's time for his to decend. Give that a wait as it'd be easier on him if they did. He's likely just a late bloomer, but one can never say anything for sure with how genetics might have misplaced things.
 House Bunny
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2011 10:15:52 PM reply with quote send message to House Bunny Object to Post

Im a vet assistant and work at a low cost spay and neuter center.
It's VERY rare for a dog to not have testicles at all. Matter of fact, in 6 years working with spay and neuters, I have never seen one pet with only one or neither testicles.
If the vet can feel the testicles on your puppy in the inguinal area, even if they cant pull them into the right place, it should be the same procedure as a normal neuter, except it might have an extra incision in the inguinal area.
If the vet cant feel them, then it's an abdominal cryptorchid, and the procedure is more like a spay, the incision is right by the "belly button" or umbilicus.
Sometimes one testicle is descended and the other inguinal, or both inguinal, or sometimes one is abdominal and one is inguinal or both abdominal.
depending on all of that, there are different charges for different cryptorchids. at least for our clinic.
we have an extra charge of 30 for EACH testicle that is inguinal, OR $75 for EACH testicle that is abdominal.
we are low cost, so We dont necessarly like to do these kind of procedures, thats why our extra charges are so high. for a dog with both testicles descended and the dog is less than 25 lbs, a neuter would cost $75, with everything included. pre anesthetic exam, anesthesia, anesthetic monitoring, IV fluids, procedure, pain meds at the clinic, pain meds to take home.
6 months is how long our vets wait before doing a cryptorchid neuter.
anyway, hope this helps.
good luck
 showcavaliers
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2011 8:23:22 PM reply with quote send message to showcavaliers Object to Post

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by showcavaliers on 11/4/2017 6:50:27 PM
 PaulLopez03
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2017 1:40:17 AM reply with quote send message to PaulLopez03 Object to Post

I would strongly recommend a hostility or different issues from not being neuter and I was not good enough to wildness him unaltered. We unquestionably won't be reproducing him. In any case, if the problems are extremely unexpected we will have, making it impossible to have him fixed.
 Flavia
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/31/2017 10:17:22 AM reply with quote send message to Flavia Object to Post

This spring I had my first litter of Australian Shepherd puppies in 17 years. I had 6 males and 2 of them are missing a testicle.

What my vet explained to me is that in the body the right side kidney is a little ahead of the left and when you see the missing testicle on the right side it's because the spermatic cord isn't long enough to drop into the scrotum.

Both these boys are missing the right one.

Edited to add these pups are 14 weeks old today.

-----
Last edited by Flavia on 7/31/2017 10:18:34 AM

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.