Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Best Obedience Breeds?
 BlueScript
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/7/2011 12:56:09 AM reply with quote send message to BlueScript Object to Post   

Is there a list somewhere of the top obedience breeds or do we just have to infer it? I'd be curious to know, for example, how Kelpies rank.

Also, does temperament have any impact on obedience training?
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/7/2011 1:06:48 AM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Herding breeds are usually pretty smart and session fast. There was a list long ago but if it was in the forum it's not likely to reemerge from so long ago. You can try I guess?

None of the genetic dog traits that are visible have an impact. Only dog breed and sessioning. And who knows maybe there could be a hidden obedience trait.
 luckydogwhisperer
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2011 3:26:04 PM reply with quote send message to luckydogwhisperer Object to Post

Herding breeds are usually great. I have finished a CD on a BC and a CDX on a GSD. I have also finished a CDX on a Golden Retriever and a CD on a Brittany and a Flat-Coated Retriever. So, I have had quite a little bit of luck with Sporting and Herding Breeds.

Luckydogwhisperer
 hardcourser
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2012 3:05:51 PM reply with quote send message to hardcourser Object to Post

hello i,m interested in trialling some hound breeds could anyone advise me which of the hounds would make a successful choice please
 garymaglipay
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2012 2:36:42 PM reply with quote send message to garymaglipay Object to Post

They said that BC is the smartest. But i think not the most obedient because they're so dominant. I also don't think that the slow dogs are the most obedient either. So, we can assume it's the average ones like pekingese and others.
I only mention peke because it's the only one i have and the truth is they really are very obedient and lovely.
 garymaglipay
Basic User

Basic User
4/21/2012 7:55:49 AM reply with quote send message to garymaglipay Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

(sighs)
No wonder my peke don't get what i'm telling her to do..
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2012 7:16:24 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

posted by garymaglipay
They said that BC is the smartest. But i think not the most obedient because they're so dominant. I also don't think that the slow dogs are the most obedient either. So, we can assume it's the average ones like pekingese and others.
I only mention peke because it's the only one i have and the truth is they really are very obedient and lovely.

It's the opposite with borders. Most borders are really average intelligence, just very willing to please and obedient, making them more dependant rather than dominant.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2012 9:00:47 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Dachshunds do all right...I trialed one and it wasn't tooo bad...

Alexandria
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/29/2012 9:24:35 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

I think the OP was talking about SD dogs, not RL dogs.
 November Rain Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2012 11:53:55 AM reply with quote send message to November Rain Kennels Object to Post

I remember Rottweilers, Goldens, and Border Collies being very high on the list, I can't really remember any others though (I've been in these breeds so that's why I paid attention to those) lol

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.