Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : IABCA vs AKC?
 Anchor Paws Canines
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/12/2012 12:58:48 PM reply with quote send message to Anchor Paws Canines Object to Post   

Which do you prefer? I've heard IABCA is more relaxed...plus I like the idea of getting a written critique of what they think of my dog/s...thinking about competing in an IABCA show before I do another AKC show. What do you like better?
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2012 3:00:36 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

Well, it depends on what your goals are.

I have shown in both and I enjoy them both for different reasons.

IABCA is VERY relaxed, super, super chill. I think it is nice practice to work on your handling skills, to work out ring nerves, and to give your dog some ring experience.

You do not go in with other dogs of your breed--the judge is looking at your dog only while she's in the ring, so you know you're getting the judge's undivided attention. The written critique is very useful--it's a nice way of being able to see how the judge looks at your breed, and to evaluate how much weight to give the opinion you receive.

It is very easy to finish a dog in IABCA, especially in comparison to AKC. There's almost no comparison. It's much cheaper to do.

Because the AKC championship is more difficult to attain, and because there is more competition and of a higher quality (in my breeds at the very least), I value the AKC championship more. But I think IABCA is a fun venue to practice for AKC.
 Leidenschaftlich
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2012 4:49:46 PM reply with quote send message to Leidenschaftlich Object to Post

AKC is somewhat elitist, not in a bad way, meaning that it's both harder to get a CH with them and to do good and many other things.

I don't know anything about IABCA but I personally like clubs that give everyone a chance, not just the better known or the more experienced.

Anchor Paws Canines
Basic User

Basic User
6/13/2012 6:15:25 AM reply with quote send message to Anchor Paws Canines Object to Post

Thanks guys. happy :) I think my next show will be IABCA, it sounds really fun!
 Extravert
Basic User

Basic User
3/22/2018 8:47:50 AM reply with quote send message to Extravert Object to Post

AKC is elitist for sure. If you have money, you can have Champions. Also politic is horrendous.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.