Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 99
Page : 1 2 3 4 5
<< prev page next page >>

GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/4/2013 10:25:20 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

Danged, timed out! I'm the "Basic" who just posted that.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2013 10:57:21 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by

Puppy sales depend almost entirely on new players, players changing breeds, and Basics who can not breed their own. However, if they can keep and show more dogs, they will be buying more dogs from me and other breeders.

I completely agree with this. The problem is that there is little to no incentive to show at the moment and that everyone knows this. So even in popular breeds you usually get just a sprinkling of class dogs and a few champions. When I was a basic the challenge was just finishing a dog because there was so much competition. Now its only hard to finish a dog because there is no competition.

Instead of SHOWdog it has become BREEDdog, so it seems like Basics get the short end of the stick because they don't get to breed, when it used to be possible to have a lot of fun just showing.

grif,
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2013 3:29:35 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I also agree with Griffin and Gaylan, I don't think basics need more priveledges, except possibly allowing them more than 5 dogs, so they could show more dogs at once.

As I've said before, there definitely needs to be more incentives for showing, so the game can get back to SHOWdog happy :), like Griffin said above.

Someone on another thread mentioned that perhaps some awards for finishing in the top 10 per breed, I liked this idea as it's inclusive for all breeds, regardless of popularity. It would just encourage people to show more actively if there was a reason, particularly a financial one.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2013 5:00:35 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

I am just worried that this game is dying and the new look is not enough to fix it.

There is no incentive to show unless you have a winning breed. Even with a top 20 breed, you will be lucky to have enough competition to finish a dog let alone make any money to breed a next generation.

Boksu's original idea is what has to happen. The game has to reward the active SHOWING player. Right now, the game rewards those who sell their sessions rather than those who actively play by sessioning and showing.

If we need to give Basics more to do, they should be incented to buy good dogs and show them. With some successes, maybe they'd become paying players.

Man, remember the days when the game was so active, we had to stay up late to get a handler? Good ole handler rush!
 Belushi Afghans
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 12:56:09 PM reply with quote send message to Belushi Afghans Object to Post

This may have been mentioned before, but how about getting paid for the pups that are FHd? Maybe you could perhaps keep the pup for sale for a certain period of time before you can Fh them. Of course there could be a monthly limit on how many times you could do this. That way, you could get some of the money back on food and still breed without losing so much money on unsold pups.
 rowanw
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 1:36:55 PM reply with quote send message to rowanw Object to Post

posted by Belushi Afghans
This may have been mentioned before, but how about getting paid for the pups that are FHd? Maybe you could perhaps keep the pup for sale for a certain period of time before you can Fh them. Of course there could be a monthly limit on how many times you could do this. That way, you could get some of the money back on food and still breed without losing so much money on unsold pups.
My personal opinion; I don't want to be rewarded for FHing puppies. We no longer have to feed puppies for ten days before they settle so there's no reason to keep puppies any longer than necessary. When litters whelp I "sort" - keepers, for sale and immediate FH. I keep for sale puppies available 10-14 days and then they get FHed. If money is tight they get FHed sooner.

jmho

Black Veil Brides
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 4:04:52 PM reply with quote send message to Black Veil Brides Object to Post

posted by rowanw
My personal opinion; I don't want to be rewarded for FHing puppies. We no longer have to feed puppies for ten days before they settle so there's no reason to keep puppies any longer than necessary. When litters whelp I "sort" - keepers, for sale and immediate FH. I keep for sale puppies available 10-14 days and then they get FHed. If money is tight they get FHed sooner.

jmho

I agree. More abuse will come of this and it won't particularly fix any of the underlying issues.

Emma
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 6:40:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

posted by rowanw

jmho

Agree completely - no need to be rewarded for FHing puppies - that just adds another reward for breeding and not showing.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2013 6:56:58 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kalynda

Agree completely - no need to be rewarded for FHing puppies - that just adds another reward for breeding and not showing.
I agree...we need to reward showing more than breeding, IMO. And if people are showing and making money they wont need to rewarded for breeding.
 Belushi Afghans
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 2:34:43 PM reply with quote send message to Belushi Afghans Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I see your point. I would still like to see the judges tweaked somehow to give others a chance to make money from showing. Look at the judge Donna Fox. She was placed the same dog for BIS the past few shows shes judged. Why would someone want to enter a show under her if she picks the same dog every time?

-----
Last edited by Belushi Afghans on 7/8/2013 4:31:32 PM
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 5:10:28 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Belushi- that's why we are talking about getting show rewards at the breed level instead of he BIS level, that way everyone has a chance to win no matter what breed you're in.

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 7/8/2013 7:00:39 PM
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 6:04:12 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

Not sure if this was mentioned, but why is the National payout win only for BISS? Wouldn't it be nicer to divide it up between point winners?

Let's say entries were 740 so the payout would be $740. Why not hand out to WB, WD, BOS, and BOB? If this went to four different users, that would be $185 each.

Is there a reason for this being the way it currently is?
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 8:30:10 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I assume by National you mean breed nationals? We're lucky to have 700 some dogs in an all breed. I'd be surprised to see those sorts of numbers in a specialty. In reality, even with the suggested percentages, payouts for nationals in most breeds would be extremely small.
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2013 8:55:01 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

I'm talking about the Nationals payout.

Only Best in Specialty Show earns a payout and it is based on the number of entries for the breed in the past 30 days.
- www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=86

I don't know what you are referring to.
Bloodhounds have 349 entries now so BOB would get $349 if it remained that way...
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2013 2:29:57 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Fascinating. I didn't realize that the payout for nationals was based on entries for the month, and not some calculation on entries in the National itself.
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
7/9/2013 8:42:26 AM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

Yeah, that's why I find it a little disproportionate. If that was split between the point winners and it went to different players, that might create more entries even though the entry fee is $0 anyway. And if the money goes back to the same kennel for WD, WB, BOS, BOB, then they are doing something right in their program, lol.
I never understood why there are no payouts for any other placements like other specialties. Nationals is supposed to be a big deal, too, I guess.

Just thinking, I'll stop rambling now. happy :)
 OmegaDanya
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 3:59:27 PM reply with quote send message to OmegaDanya Object to Post

The payouts would be amazing.

As for basics getting more game to play....yes, let's allow them more dogs. As for 3 breedings a month, no. Maybe 1 breeding a month, and the reason I say this is because one breeding from a basic could be greatly beneficial to rare breeds, but wouldn't have that much impact on more populous ones. Besides, we all get litters where they all get FHed anyway, one litter a month would make basics think a little more to their one breeding. Also/Or, we could find a way for basics to earn breedings, either through a reward system of finishing dogs, or months played, or maybe allow them to 'buy' a breeding. Like it or not, breeding IS a huge part of this game, and it's a really fun one. It seems unfair to give that to basics for the first month and then to take it away forever. Many sim games do have a way for basics to earn things that are unlimited or special to paid players.

I don't think we should think about money for FHing at this time, when there's other aspects we should be looking at to help this game along. Though, if we did insist later on about doing something with FHing because we do need even more of a boost, maybe it could be like a little credit towards food or something, or the price the equivalent there of(1 day of 1 dog's food? Or $1?). Basically, nothing major but would still be a drop in the bucket and not major encouragement to breed willy nilly for FHing.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2013 7:59:15 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

posted by OmegaDanya

As for basics getting more game to play....yes, let's allow them more dogs. As for 3 breedings a month, no. Maybe 1 breeding a month, and the reason I say this is because one breeding from a basic could be greatly beneficial to rare breeds, but wouldn't have that much impact on more populous ones. Besides, we all get litters where they all get FHed anyway, one litter a month would make basics think a little more to their one breeding. Also/Or, we could find a way for basics to earn breedings, either through a reward system of finishing dogs, or months played, or maybe allow them to 'buy' a breeding. Like it or not, breeding IS a huge part of this game, and it's a really fun one. It seems unfair to give that to basics for the first month and then to take it away forever. Many sim games do have a way for basics to earn things that are unlimited or special to paid players.

I don't think we should think about money for FHing at this time, when there's other aspects we should be looking at to help this game along. Though, if we did insist later on about doing something with FHing because we do need even more of a boost, maybe it could be like a little credit towards food or something, or the price the equivalent there of(1 day of 1 dog's food? Or $1?). Basically, nothing major but would still be a drop in the bucket and not major encouragement to breed willy nilly for FHing.

I think there are some very valid and good points in this post.
I'm hoping now that we've been switched over to the new layout for a while now, that this post will get some of Jeff's attention soon happy :)
 Black Veil Brides
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2013 4:02:27 AM reply with quote send message to Black Veil Brides Object to Post

posted by Summerwind Kennels
posted by OmegaDanya

I think there are some very valid and good points in this post.
I'm hoping now that we've been switched over to the new layout for a while now, that this post will get some of Jeff's attention soon happy :)

Like this too
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2013 7:53:53 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by OmegaDanya
Also/Or, we could find a way for basics to earn breedings, either through a reward system of finishing dogs, or months played, or maybe allow them to 'buy' a breeding.

That is an interesting idea. Maybe like the first Ch, the first GCh, the first dog competing in the SDWC etc...

I think, we need to be thinking in terms of encouraging showing rather than breeding because there is no issue with not enough breeding going on (except perhaps very rare breeds). Receiving money for FHed pups just encourages more breeding, it does nothing to encourage showing.

grif,

Replies in this thread : 99
Page : 1 2 3 4 5
<< prev page next page >>

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.