Search

.com Forum · Great Pyrenees

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : 9.8 Head and TNB bitches worth keeping?
 Cross Country
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/13/2013 2:06:44 PM reply with quote send message to Cross Country Object to Post   

I'm newish to the breed. Dabbled in Pyrs a few years back. Only recently got back into them when Lucca was selling out.

Was curious if anyone could get me up to speed on the breed top SOP and any traits in need of work?

I ask because I have two bitch puppies. One is a 90.10 with a 9.8 Head. The other is an 88.35 with low SS, but a 9.8 in Top Neck & Back.
I do plan on keeping the 90.10, but was curious to know if TNB was lacking at all in the breed, and if I should hold onto the 88.35 and work on her trait, ignoring her lowish SOP and low SS.

Opinions?

Here are the puppies in question:
www.showdog.com/users/dog_info.aspx?id=12041993
and
www.showdog.com/users/dog_info.aspx?id=12041997

Thanks,
CC
 ohrandi
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2013 9:24:43 PM reply with quote send message to ohrandi Object to Post

I'm relatively new to the breed too (well, game in general lol!), but from what I've seen TN&B isn't really a trait that needs to be worked on, it's pretty strong I think. For example, I probably wouldn't keep the second pup you posted, it doesn't seem to have much to offer. IMO head and TN&B are pretty strong traits. The rest could use some work, I'm not sure if any of the other pyr breeders are focusing on other traits or just trying to get lucky.

I've just started playing around with color breeding, as you'll notice most of the high SOP dogs in the breed are white w/badger markings or white w/ reddish brown. All the other colors are pretty much non-existent.

Hope that helps. happy :)

Cross Country
Basic User

Basic User
1/16/2013 12:18:18 PM reply with quote send message to Cross Country Object to Post

Thanks, and welcome to the game. laugh :D

I did some snooping around in other kennels and past pedigrees, and you are right, TNB looks pretty good on some dogs. So I will be sending the lower SOP pup to a FH.

CC
 Mont Blanc Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2013 10:52:24 PM reply with quote send message to Mont Blanc Kennels Object to Post

Welcome both of you to the breed! happy :)

It's nice to see pyres getting more popular. When I first started this kennel there was only one other active kennel at the time, and pyres were all the way down at the bottom of the breed list. Due to the lack of competition at the time I had not really been paying much attention to traits or SOP. I think I had better start to now, with all these new players there are some nice dogs out there and good competition laugh :D

The top SOP's are in the 91's, but there are only a few of those. Mostly 89/90 from what I have seen. (I can't quite seem to really break out of the 90's right now myself).

Anyway, glad to see you both and good luck with your breeding programs!
 Cross Country
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2013 9:29:18 PM reply with quote send message to Cross Country Object to Post

Thanks for the welcome. happy :) When I started this kennel my plans were to work in rough Collies exclusively. Even had a banner made with a collie and no other breeds.

When Barga Lucca had a kennel sell out, I was lucky to land Memoirs, a 91.25 stud puppy. Got him into the show ring as quick as I could and he has done me proud a few times over. That one little pup is slowly but surely turning me into a Pyrenees convert! I've only dabbled in Pyrs, and that was years ago. Memoirs took a 3rd in Group which was thrilling since Im usually on lesser breeds that rarely, if ever, take any group placements.

I ended up buying two bitches to breed with him and am counting the days until he turns 30. (Three days to go!!)
One of those bitches was yours, Mont Blanc. She's a pretty lady, that Noémi. Her show shine doesn't worry me much, and she has a nice warm spot in the kennel here.

Before too long, I might be a full-out Pyrenees kennel with a collie banner. laugh :D

And yes, consider me your SOP and show competition. wink ;) As I get some of my own litters on the ground, I do hope to be showing up in the Pyrenees ring more often. And I do hope to eventually make a name for myself in the breed... even if it did start by riding the coat-tails of Barga Lucca. wink ;)

CC

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.