Search

.com Forum · Lagotto Romagnolo

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : 94.1 Jean-Luc Picard Removed from Stud
 Sylence
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/7/2011 2:25:59 PM reply with quote send message to Sylence Object to Post   

After much thought on the subject, I decided to remove the 94.1% CH Sylence Capt. Jean-Luc Picard from stud. Whether this is permanent or not, I have yet to decide.

I did this for a couple reasons. The main one being the danger of Picard and/or CN* Enter Sylence (Picard's sire) dominating the Lagotto gene pool.

I'd hate to see the wonderful SOP's and relatively low COI's we currently have in the breed take a swan-dive due to inbreeding. Both CN* Enter Sylence and Jean-Luc Picard have sired some stunning puppies, including several very nice up and coming stud males.

I'll also be removing CN* Enter Sylence from stud, this will be permanent.

Sorry if this upsets anyone. I know a couple of you wanted to use him on bitches in a few days. But after seeing some of the puppies in Picard's first grouping born on Christmas, I'm getting a bit nervous for the future genetic diversity.

Liam
 Sylence
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2011 10:50:06 PM reply with quote send message to Sylence Object to Post

Ok after a couple suggestions, I put both boys back up on APPROVAL if anyone is interested.

I'll definitely let them go on Source and low generation bitches, but higher SOP will depend on bloodline.

It still doesn't really solve the problem. But I'll leave it mostly up to you Lagotto breeders to decide what's good for the breed in the long run.

Liam
 Brocolitia
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2011 2:51:41 AM reply with quote send message to Brocolitia Object to Post

I just started with this wonderful breed and can understand you. I keep other breeds with a very low genetic range. And this is really a generally problem in breeds are not so popular.

happy :) Iris
 Sylence
Basic User

Basic User
2/3/2011 4:58:35 AM reply with quote send message to Sylence Object to Post

Yeah he's on approval as it is. Aside from a few select established bitches, I have otherwise only approved him on source dogs.

I'd like to keep COI down on most of the stock, and right now Picard is a bad boy breeding all the girls. lol

Welcome to the breed. happy :)

Liam

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.