.com Forum · Basenji

Replies in this thread : 37
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/25/2008 1:45:47 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Oh, I didn't realize he was doing that! I'll try to make time pretty quick then to fix things and see if we can't get everyone chatting again. happy :)
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
11/17/2008 8:37:41 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I didn't update this breed tonight because it doesn't quite look like a consensus yet.
 UtopiaMT
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/4/2008 3:33:51 AM reply with quote send message to UtopiaMT Object to Post

It's been 3 weeks since Jeff looked at our forum and didn't do anything because he didn't see a consensus.

I haven't been here much this fall because we were moving from s.e. Montana to south-central Idaho....860 miles one way x 4 trips! :-P I did most of the packing with a friend helping, all the driving and now the painting and unpacking cause hubby broke his upper right arm 4 days after we arrived!

The posts haven't added much after July, but I re-read all to make sure I understand them. What do we need to do to get colors for our Senjis? If we are waiting for percentages, I suggest:

45% red with white
25% Black, tan with white
20% Brindle with white
10% Black with white

With 20% Brindles, before too long, Trindles will be in the game. If you want Trindles, then I suggest having:
Reds at 40%
Blacks at 13%
Trindles at 2%

If we need more coding, I can't help you there. sad :(
Let's see if we can have colors before Christmas! laugh :D
MTLaura ----> now in IDaho

Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/8/2009 12:54:39 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

nothing happening yet with color? I would try to help but genetics is greek to me, so no one would want my help LOL I am still here and playing, 2 litters settle today

45% red with white
20% Brindle with white
10% Black with white
but is brindle more common then black with white, again I dont know but those of you that do? I would think black and white more common.
Edited to add Lauras quoted area
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/8/2009 4:20:46 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yes, brindle is very common. Not like red, though. I know it's the "newest" color, but it was well accepted pretty quickly and lots of people were breeding for not only the color, but the new genes from unrelated dogs to help better the health.

But blacks are significantly less than the other colors. However I think more and more people are starting to use them more.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/9/2009 12:03:41 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

thanks Kiroja then I take it

45% red with white
20% Brindle with white
10% Black with white
is accurate and hey that means we are ready for Jeff!!

Hiya Char hows your boy doing?
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2009 2:57:15 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Not quite, there are a few models running around this thread. You guys need to specify which one you want Jeff to use.

The model that has the colors you've given percentages to has an extra bit that needs to be removed (D locus) as its not in use.

I mentioned that a few months back, but Kiroja said there were still some edits she wanted to make to the code. It doesn't look like its changed much since then. So you guys need to decide- are you happy with the model with the colors Red, Brindle, Tri, Black and White, and Trindle, or do you want to discuss further changes?

If you are happy with the current model, it needs to be edited to remove D locus. If Jeff codes it the way it is now, it won't work out because there are no dd colors. -Neb
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/9/2009 9:43:33 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yes, I need to work on it still. And some of the wording/color naming is off. We are NOT ready to submit.

And I think we were leaning towards making all the colors an even percentage at the start? In hopes not to lose a color like some breeds?

At first I would have preferred the realistic percentages, but now that we've seen how colors can be lost, and since we have no choice on how the first 30 or 40 generations are going to go, I guess I am ok with even percentages now. lol I would prefer we just not start out with any trindles because they will happen naturally if someone wants them, and we don't want herds of them around because it is still a very taboo color in the show world. Once we get colors established, then we can start to breed for what we want and the percentages of what colors are around in a few more generations might start to look more "normal". I just hope when Jeff runs it, we don't end up with almost all tris! lol (the recessive color)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2009 6:17:12 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

From what I've seen, percentages don't have much effect on how the breed turns out. I've seen breeds that started with one color at 100% and ended up with most of their dogs a different color. And others that go the opposite way- they started even and ended up with all their dogs mostly one color. Its really got more to do with how the pedigrees have been interwoven up until now and chance than it does percentages.

How color will end up now is not really the point of percentages, its how starter dogs will be assigned in the future. Colors will turn out now just this once, but starters will be assigned with these percentages for the rest of the game. Do you want folks to have even chances of getting any color starter? Or do you want starter colors to reflect RL percentages? -Neb
 Christos
Basic User

Basic User
2/17/2009 1:52:00 AM reply with quote send message to Christos Object to Post

posted by Lilliput
How color will end up now is not really the point of percentages, its how starter dogs will be assigned in the future. Colors will turn out now just this once, but starters will be assigned with these percentages for the rest of the game. Do you want folks to have even chances of getting any color starter? Or do you want starter colors to reflect RL percentages? -Neb
If the percentages are for the future, new starter dogs, I would prefer to see RL (realistic) percents. I would also like to see Trindles be 0% and let people breed for them if they want.

I will be just checking my kennel for awhile and not doing much else. I will be busy with doctors this week and next as I am having a flare-up with my Multiple Sclerosis....mainly extreme tiredness but also double vision. On top of that, had 3 teeth removed today and boy! is my mouth sore! sad :( So, the above (in bold) is my answer and I'll leave the fine-tuning up to you guys. I hope to be surprised with colors soon laugh :D
Catch you guys one of these days.
IDLaura
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/7/2009 10:00:18 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Ok, I'm gonna sit down and try to iron these out so we can finalize our breed colors. Stay tuned! happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2012 4:53:07 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

bump
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2015 3:05:28 AM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

Hey Lilli,

I'm trying to see if I finally have a handle on this, and the percentages that made sense by the math are wildly divergent from what's in this thread, can you tell me where I'm off here?

KK YY - black and white
KK Yy - black and white
KK yy - black and white
Kk YY - black and white
Kk Yy - black and white
Kk yy - black and white
kk YY - red and white
kk Yy - red and white
kk yy - tricolor

KK^br YY - black and white
KK^br Yy - black and white
KK^br yy - black and white
K^brK YY- brindle and white
K^brK Yy- brindle and white
K^brK yy - trindle

K^brk YY - black and white
K^brk Yy - black and white
K^brk yy - trindle
kK^br YY- brindle and white
kK^br Yy- brindle and white
kK^br yy - trindle

K^brK^br YY- brindle and white
K^brK^br Yy- brindle and white
K^brK^br yy - trindle

black and white 45%
brindle and white 25%
trindle = 15%
red and white 10%
tricolor = 5%

Thanks! - Jet

(Khepera is my other kennel)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2015 6:02:31 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

It's late here but I'll have a look tomorrow. What do you mean by this though- "the percentages that made sense by the math are wildly divergent from what's in this thread" ?

Do you mean the color percentages (ie, Red and White 45%)?

The color percentages have absolutely nothing to do with the genetics- they are simply the numbers of starter dogs that will be that color. Some breeds even have colors that are set to 0%- because they are undesirable or very uncommon colors (like double merles say) but that can be made from the genes of the colors that ARE present in starters. In your breed tricolor is set to 0% in starters, but that's ok, because you can make tricolor dogs using genes from the other color dogs.

So while 45% of your genetic combination might make Black and White Dogs- that has nothing to do with your percentages. Your percentages (45% Red and White) merely mean that for every 100 starter dogs created- 45 of them will be Red and White. happy :)
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2015 6:57:40 PM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

Ah, yes that's exactly what I meant and thank you so much for explaining that.
I thought the percentages for the starter dogs were based off the commonality of the genetics.
That makes more sense.
 happy hotel dogs
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2015 9:38:36 PM reply with quote send message to happy hotel dogs Object to Post

Well I could say that there are many types of basenjis around but not many of the are low key.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2016 1:27:41 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

With the burst of new interest in the breed I thought it might be a good idea to bump this up.

Replies in this thread : 37
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.