Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Tuff-N-Uff
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 9:39:32 PM reply with quote send message to Tuff-N-Uff Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I simply say NO. I feel this will cause some problems within the game. Not to mention throw the whole aspect/point of the game. We are supposed to manage our kennel's finances wisely. We all start out with the same amount and have to simply make it work. For those in more popular breeds, they've TYPICALLY got more money because of sales and stud fees (note I said typically).

It's easy, learn to manage your money. We are already experiencing hardships due to lack of players/kennels.

IMO,
-Tuff

Where is the poll?

-----
Last edited by Tuff-N-Uff on 8/7/2013 9:43:47 PM
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 7:33:34 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

posted by Tuff-N-Uff

Where is the poll?

-----

I agree, I'd like to see a few polls happy :) I'm sure Jeff will get to it soon now that the layout switch is mostly finished.
 Canyon View Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 8:31:40 PM reply with quote send message to Canyon View Kennels Object to Post

Tuff-N-Uff, the poll is on the first page, first post. wink ;)
 Vintage Rhino
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 4:31:54 PM reply with quote send message to Vintage Rhino Object to Post

posted by Tuff-N-Uff
I simply say NO. I feel this will cause some problems within the game. Not to mention throw the whole aspect/point of the game. We are supposed to manage our kennel's finances wisely. We all start out with the same amount and have to simply make it work. For those in more popular breeds, they've TYPICALLY got more money because of sales and stud fees (note I said typically).

It's easy, learn to manage your money. We are already experiencing hardships due to lack of players/kennels.

IMO,
-Tuff

Where is the poll?

-----

I already do know how to manage my kennel money. That's not the point.
Yes, we all start out with the same amounts. But we don't all play in the same breeds. It really isn't equal ground for every breed and there needs to be a way to equal things out, especially for those whose favored breeds are the ones who don't have players.

In that aspect, it's not fair and it has nothing to do with managing money responsibly. Everybody pays the same amount to subscribe a kennel. But what everybody gets back isn't the same. The popular breeds can keep dozens of dogs in their kennels and keep the game constantly fun and stimulating. Those with less popular breeds cannot do that. They get less out of it, even though they are paying the same as everybody else.

My point is: What's the point of sessioning and showing and all the work when you never gain a point in the shows because nobody else is showing in your breed? You can't breed to make any money because nobody else is playing your breed. Small breed kennels have to breed only for themselves, using only their own studs, and showing against their own dogs. That's not fun.

That's why people quit so soon after arriving. That's my point.

I'm with you as far as not adding 'RL' money to the game. But the kickback from showing and the hard work that people put in should be upgraded.

Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 5:37:27 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

It really isn't equal ground for every breed and there needs to be a way to equal things out, especially for those whose favored breeds are the ones who don't have players.

1) SD was never designed so that all breeds would be the same. Different breeds have different advantages and disadvantages. Some breeds take a long time to session others take much less time. Some breed have large litters some have small litters. Some breeds are popular and have lots of competition so you have to have 30 dogs and constantly breeding to the limit to keep your dogs competitive. Some breeds are less popular and it is rare to find competition. (Wasn't this even on the front page of the site at one point?).

2) No one is forced to play a particular breed. If you want to compete with lots of breeders pick a popular breed if you don't want to pick a rare breed. Sure this means you might not end up playing the breed you love IRL, but to be brutally honest the "dogs" in SD do not have the physical appearance nor the personality of the RL breed they are just a set of numbers on a computer. The "breed" is just a list of characters and another set of numbers.

I love two breeds IRL: Siberian Huskies and Papillons. Both of these breeds are at a fundamental disadvantage to other breeds on SD enforced by the actual game rules not just the behaviour of other players in the game.

Siberian Huskies are one of the slowest breeds to session up for showing. This means regardless of how well I breed a Siberian will never be at the top of the All Time Show Dogs list because Siberians have a shorter showing career than other breeds because they take so long to session.

Similarly Papillons have smaller litters than most other breeds in the game which means due to pregnancy limits they can produce fewer pups that other breeds which means their SOP increases more slowly than other breeds with the same number of breeders but larger litters.

Unlike with rare breeds neither of these draw backs can be overcome/removed through any action I can take (eg. advertising the breed to attract more players). I, like the people who love rare breeds, have a choice:

(1) I can accept the disadvantages of the breeds I love IRL on SD and play them anyway.
or
(2) I can play a different breed (eg. Goldens) which does not suffer from either of these disadvantages.

I choose to play with Siberian Huskies despite the fact that they take so long to session.

Now we could make the game completely "fair" so that every breed has the exact same size litters, takes the exact same amount of time to session, and has the exact same chance of being popular (by renaming them Breed 1, Breed 2, Breed 3 etc..). But IMO that would make the game extremely boring and remove the 'point' of having different breeds.

To be fair the game only has to give you the same choice as anyone else: play which ever breed you want. There isn't only one way to enjoy this game. Having an easy, steady predictable inflow of cash might make the game more fun for you but it would make it much less fun for me.

grif,
 Tuff-N-Uff
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 10:27:43 PM reply with quote send message to Tuff-N-Uff Object to Post

Very well said Griffin.
 northywoods
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/11/2013 11:30:41 AM reply with quote send message to northywoods Object to Post

posted by admin
Pretty self explanatory question. Should we allow users to buy showdog money with real money?

I think one should get some kind of monetary benefit from forever homing dogs. Say like $25 or something.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2013 5:27:01 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

posted by northywoods
posted by admin
Pretty self explanatory question. Should we allow users to buy showdog money with real money?

I think one should get some kind of monetary benefit from forever homing dogs. Say like $25 or something.

How about we get monetary benefits from FHing puppies whose dam is a champion? Truly believe that to keep this game alive, any benefit needs to tie into showing, not just breeding.
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/16/2013 6:26:16 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Why can't the salary just ... go up?
 fefetoo
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2013 9:39:39 PM reply with quote send message to fefetoo Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
I like it happy :)
 mettlevant
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2013 4:54:03 PM reply with quote send message to mettlevant Object to Post

damnant quod non intelligunt!
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2013 6:08:09 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by northywoods
I was wondering how long until that was suggested again. This comes up over and over again but it is never going to happen because it promotes puppy-milling. Having a game where puppy milling (mass production of low quality animals to earn money) is a viable strategy has huge ethical issues.

Even at only $25/pup for a medium sized breed your talking $150-$200 per litter which since the pups can be FHed as soon as they whelp will be a healthy profit on the food required to feed the parents.

Besides this again 1) rewards breeding over showing when there is an over-supply of pups in many breeds already and a dearth of show entries and 2) benefits large breeds (which also tend to be the popular/high SOP breeds) more than small breeds.

grif,
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2013 6:17:09 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
That still doesn't solve the fact that showing your dogs is inherently a loss making endeavour so there is a strong incentive to limit it. But, I think it is a very good plan B. The game-economy used to be based on new players joining and spending their initial start up money then leaving essentially transferring that money to the longer-time players. It should be possible to work out how much that artificially boosted the average kennel balance and raise the current average kennel balance to compensate by increasing the daily salary. The salary thing is an issue because of the large difference between the maximum balance and the average balance which causes 10 users to be broke for every user at the maximum balance limit.

grif,
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2013 6:19:19 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

posted by mettlevant
damnant quod non intelligunt!
By all means, make us understand it then.
 Thaidale
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2013 1:54:25 PM reply with quote send message to Thaidale Object to Post

I vote yes, simply because it does reflect reality in RL dog shows.

Just as in real life, those with the funds can afford to spend the training and preparation time - not to mention entering and travelling to many, many shows.

Just as in real life, those with truly good dogs can and do win even if they do it on a shoestring.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2013 1:57:30 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

posted by Thaidale
I vote yes, simply because it does reflect reality in RL dog shows.

Just as in real life, those with the funds can afford to spend the training and preparation time - not to mention entering and travelling to many, many shows.

Just as in real life, those with truly good dogs can and do win even if they do it on a shoestring.

That's why, people who can't afford all that, COME TO A SIM GAME for it. o.0

Not yelling, getting my point across
 gaylanstudio3
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/18/2013 4:37:37 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio3 Object to Post

Hmm, I'd be kind of interested in the idea of raising the average balance. It might work. It might just produce a new equalibrium, but we'll be no worse off than we are now and it would appear to be an incredibly easy change. Plus, it's fair to all and does not change the game dynamics.

(By the way, I don't know why but there was a surge in basic salary over the last few weeks. It topped out at $115.27 on August 11th and appears to have started around the end of July. It was $53.56 today and falling so it seems to have run it's course for now. Perhaps it's associated with the Admin reported increased sign ups.)

Rott-Box
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2013 4:26:48 PM reply with quote send message to Rott-Box Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

vote YES

I haven't read through all the posts & I couldn't make up my mind on this either way until now. To keep it simple (don't want to re-list the pros & cons) I just think it's a game, so why not? - not that I need any more cash as I've managed my kennel very well to this point. I may change my thinking at a later point tho.

-----
Last edited by Rott-Box on 8/24/2013 12:25:16 PM

-----
Last edited by Rott-Box on 8/24/2013 12:30:54 PM
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2013 4:29:49 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

posted by Rott-Box
vote YES
Why?
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2013 6:12:47 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I was thinking about salary the other day and had a thought.

If Jeff could plug something into the code that regulates the salary.

When calculating the $2,500 base difference that determines the salary for the day...

Only use the kennels that fall in between say -$10,000 and +$5,000.

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Thread Closed

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler