.com Forum · General

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Vintage Rhino
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:15:53 PM reply with quote send message to Vintage Rhino Object to Post

I would say yes. Every other online game has the option these days. Look at facebook games! I think you can even purchase FB cash gift cards for people, right next to the best buy and Starbucks cards.

The 'rift' has already been created by separating those who pay for their accounts and those who remain basic. So adding this option can't really increase what's already been there.

I can't vote, btw. It says too many page redirects.
 poocow
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:18:40 PM reply with quote send message to poocow Object to Post

I say yes but only if you have below "$x". It should be for people that are struggling not for people rolling in cash. I'm in a rarer breed and studs and puppy sales are minimal. We all know in the real dog show world we never break even but this is a game, so there should be some incentive to keep playing. Being able to boost your dwindling funds is one of those. Or increase the payouts at breed level?
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:18:42 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

The good old "but everyone else does it!" argument.

Look, no one is refuting it would help those in debt. But without limits, it would be abused.
 Havva (Breath of Life)
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:38:23 PM reply with quote send message to Havva (Breath of Life) Object to Post

I second Summerwind's comments. I'm one of only 6 or so breeders in my current breed, and that means there is just no way puppy sales/ show payouts can keep up, you pretty much HAVE to stack shows to get your majors, since we don't tend to make it to group placements. I'm happy if I recoup half of what I spend in entry fees.

I occasionally manage to sell a dog or two, but most of the time I end up FHing decent dogs who don't have what I'm breeding for when the hit 30.
I'd be happy if I got, oh say half of the food bill for 2wks (or age of dog whichever is lower) , of the ones I have to finally FH back when I send them off.

Or give the option to 'work' x number of jobs per day that pay a random amount, or instead of selling sessions at (usually) $5 ea. trade a session for a job that pays between 5-X dollars. Sessions still go into the trading pool, but we have a chance to get a little more since the market is pretty glutted right now.

I've been playing for years, and when the site was more active the money problem wasn't so bad. You had to watch it, but you could expect to sell puppies on a fairly regular basis, you had more people using your studs, and you didn't have to stack 4-5 dogs in a show just to get a major.

I was actively breeding/selling with anywhere from 25-30 dogs at a time and still had no problem banking close to 10k.

I have to say no to just buying game cash, but someway to earn more in game wold sure be appreciated.

Havva

Aoineadh Mor
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:56:53 PM reply with quote send message to Aoineadh Mor Object to Post

I also don't like the idea of just buying cash because I could afford to, this is a "quick fix" which would allow people who have spare RL cash to gain advantages in the game without having to use any strategy or effort. I do agree that the financial situation of the game is at an all time low due to falling players but would much prefer to see this remedied in ways which involve players being rewarded for their efforts within the game, such as by bigger pay outs within individual breeds so that more than just the most popular breeds can see some benefit happy :)
 Vintage Rhino
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:58:56 PM reply with quote send message to Vintage Rhino Object to Post

I agree with that. There should be some other new way to earn money.

I would choose larger show payouts over RL cash, if we were given the option, because it would require players to actually pay attention and work towards their goal. You can do that now all day long and still not break even.

But I still support the RL cash option.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 4:20:25 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

I have no problem allowing users to buy cash. But my preference is to fix the payout system.

I have jumped to BIS breeds in 2 kennels just because there is no other way to keep up financially, breed and show.

If everyone does that, we'd be down to a handful of breeds due to judge bias and some very high SOP breeds.

JMO!
K
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 4:40:31 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

I have not voted yet. Interesting comments and valid points. I want to know how it would change our daily salaries if players could pad their bank accounts. Would this help the low balance players or hurt them?

Blunotes
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 4:44:30 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Bluenotes - I think, if memory serves me, that the way salary is calculated is to keep the average balance at $2500, therefore if more players had high balances (i.e. purchasing SD money) then the daily salary would be lower.

I may be wrong but I think that's how it would work.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 4:49:44 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Summerwind - that was my recollection too. Maybe I am remembering wrong. Seems to me then the low balance players would be hurt by the buying of SD cash. If that is the case, then my vote is no. UNLESS, maybe, for negative balances up to, say $1,500 or $2,000.

Blunotes
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 5:07:03 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I say yes!

And set up a starter shop where you can buy starters of any breed and be able to pick what color you want it to be...

These would be great ways to make the games more financial viable for you too.

Will

Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 6:03:14 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I will agree, there should be limits so this feature would not be abused. But I don't believe that buying SD money would take away from the strategy and gameplay.

I never expected the responses to this idea to be so polarized. I'm not in the red, but I'm pretty darn close. But I don't think it's fair for someone to say I'm poorly managing my finances. I mean, really. The market in this game is just at such a low. I want to be able to show and breed my dogs! That's what this game is about, isn't it? The fact that I have been severely limited because of the money situation really takes away from the game to me.

I'm literally at a point where I just can't actively play ShowDog, so I wonder if it's worth it to play at all anymore. Perhaps other members just figured out a system that worked for them that made them wealthy. But that doesn't make me a bad player just because I'm struggling to keep up.

There are so many ways to play SD. Many goals you can go for, and I like that. My own goals were to actively breed and show some of the top dogs in my breed. But now I can't do that. I'm now forced to focus on scraping by with my finances just to keep the dogs in my kennel. Showing and breeding isn't an option right now. But that shouldn't mean I'm "bad" at playing this game.

I dont see it as cheating or playing unfairly if I want to buy some money. Unless your only game goal is to be rich, it's not very true to say purchased money isn't earned. I mean, I earned my real life money and then put it into the game!

Though there is a valid point that this feature could be abused, so there should be a limit. Of course there are no guarantees that this would create more activity. But I'm pretty sure it would boost activity a lot. I know mine would skyrocket. I'd love to be able to host shows, breed to outside studs, and show more of my dogs!
 Jaeger Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 6:24:41 PM reply with quote send message to Jaeger Kennels Object to Post

posted by Summerwind Kennels
Bluenotes - I think, if memory serves me, that the way salary is calculated is to keep the average balance at $2500, therefore if more players had high balances (i.e. purchasing SD money) then the daily salary would be lower.

I may be wrong but I think that's how it would work.

I hadn't considered this, I don't think if it is allowed that other players should be put at a further disadvantage if they can't/don't want to pay more RL money to try and keep up with those kennels who can. This would mean that how salaries are calculated may have to be changed to keep things fair.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
6/27/2013 6:28:46 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

The way salary is done would be changed. It's been the minimum for an extremely long time because the average balance has stayed up above $2,500.

The average balance of the users that matter in the daily salary (the middle 80% of the users that have logged in during the past two weeks) is $2,572.

The average balance of all active users is actually $2,702.

Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 6:42:19 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by Kalynda
I have jumped to BIS breeds in 2 kennels just because there is no other way to keep up financially, breed and show.
That's what so sad about the current system. I'd love to breed and show Maltese & English Toy Spaniels but I don't see the point in playing against myself. I do like my current breed, but I only chose it because there is competition.
If I did choose to go with Maltese & ETSs, though, buying SD cash wouldn't solve the payout gap. How many times a month would I have to do that to stay afloat? I'd just be a cycle.
But that's being discussed in another thread anyway.
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 6:42:42 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

^ That was me, timed out, sorry.
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 7:11:07 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

I'm not keen on this idea either. It would only benefit a small percentage of users who can afford (and are willing) to spend extra cash above what they're already spending to play a game. And it *would* give them an advantage - able to breed more, show more, fill the show with their dogs and pay the handler penalty, afford the expensive studs, not have to "share" studs and puppies with other players.....

I prefer the concept of increasing the show payouts because that is available to ALL players, involves strategy, and I think will increase gameplay across the board.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
6/27/2013 7:11:55 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I just want to be clear that this is a separate subject from the thread on increased show payouts.
 Manday Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 7:17:07 PM reply with quote send message to Manday Kennels Object to Post

posted by admin
Pretty self explanatory question. Should we allow users to buy showdog money with real money?

I say yes because breeders who are breeding breeds that do not win big would benefit from this because they cannot make alot of money and I know alot of them say they manage their kennels on a very tight shoe string. It would also allow for higher show payouts and for more show sponsorships.
 OtterTail
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 7:29:04 PM reply with quote send message to OtterTail Object to Post

Interesting thread. I have enjoyed and respect everyones opinions. I vote yes!
Cheers.
OT

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Thread Closed

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.