Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Tristan's group photos
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/8/2013 6:05:02 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post   

Downloaded Tristan's photos today. While I am a bit disappointed in them, especially the group win, there are things I like about them. The group four is actually pretty nice. Just realize he's stacked short to fit on the podium, and that he's not really that "boxy" in person. happy :)

Thanks for taking a peek! happy :)

Amyhappy :)
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 6:46:53 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

He still looks lovely Amy! I agree I prefer the big dogs on the ground instead of the podium, that way they have enough room to stretch out properly.

I must say he has such a beautiful coat for a young boy.

I can only imagine how proud you are of your boy happy :)
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 7:17:04 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Beautiful pictures! I think he looks great. happy :) Congratulations again on his great wins!
 Tuff-N-Uff
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 7:56:29 PM reply with quote send message to Tuff-N-Uff Object to Post

Super congrats. That's a very fascinating setter!
 Boulder Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 8:02:49 PM reply with quote send message to Boulder Kennel Object to Post

He looks lovely!! I just love his coat, it's positively mesmerizing laugh :D Huge congrats!!

~Lissa
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 9:57:14 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

As always, thank you everyone. happy :)

Let me tell you, that coat is a BEAST! Constant upkeep between stripping and conditioning his furnishings, especially for a boy. And he's not even really in full specials coat -- heck he's only 20 months old!!! But it is worth it to see his pretty photos. happy :)

House of Wolves Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 8:08:25 AM reply with quote send message to House of Wolves Kennel Object to Post

Oh Triscuit! You're SO GROWN UP! happy :) He looks great, despite being boxed up because of the podium he still looks fantastic. I'm so excited for you, both your babies have been doing so good this year!
 Featherrun
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 11:13:43 PM reply with quote send message to Featherrun Object to Post

You're nitpicking, he looks fabulous, and you should be very, very PROUD!
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/10/2013 8:13:18 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Aw, you all are so sweet! I am proud of both Tristan and Alice and we are crossing fingers, toes and paws for puppies next year!

But, before we get to that, Nami gets to strut her stuff in Veterans at our local specialties. THAT should be FUN....! laugh :D

sscressa11
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2013 10:57:56 PM reply with quote send message to sscressa11 Object to Post

Tristan is super handsome and I love his color.

Just an off question... the judges look miniscule. Were the judges abnormal short if is there just an optical illusion going on? Do the judges normally stand that far back?
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 12:20:15 AM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

Just curious. Have you gotten any stud requests from him or do you plan on pairing him up with any of your girls (I'm not sure if you have more. I'm only aware of two; Nami and Alice) or do you plan on using him later on in the futre and if so, what are the qualities you are looking for in a bitch to compliment him? Also, will he continue showing, any plans for the big named shows (The Garden, National Dog Show, etc) I know he is still quite young and needs some maturing (I think you said something about that in old post). But like I said, I'm very curious. ..

I ask a lot of questions. As I plan on getting a show pup (sadly no matter how much I love your dogs. Irish setters aren't for me) and starting my own line of ECS. But it will be about 3+ years before that happens and I dont plan to be lazy between that time. I've been reading a lot of books and researching and asking questions is a part of that.

Anyway enough of me taking. Thanks!

Shadowstorm.
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/12/2013 1:12:46 AM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

In reference to the judges, Paula Hartinger and Peggy Guiterrez-Otero (sp?) are both petite women happy :) I am an average sized girl (5'4" ) and I still feel rather large when I take win photos with them! Lol

-----
Last edited by Amoroso on 8/12/2013 1:13:13 AM
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 9:01:30 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

posted by Amoroso
In reference to the judges, Paula Hartinger and Peggy Guiterrez-Otero (sp?) are both petite women happy :) I am an average sized girl (5'4" ) and I still feel rather large when I take win photos with them! Lol

-----
Last edited by Amoroso on 8/12/2013 1:13:13 AM

Yes, both of those judges are very petite. And Monica is tall. I'm 5'11", and she's not much shorter than me, maybe 5'9". Tristan is not HUGE for an IS, but he's good sized, probably 27.5-28" at the shoulder. Also bear in mind that those photos are taken at quite a weird angle so everything looks a little distorted. So a combination of all factors.

AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 9:17:59 AM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

posted by Shadowstorm Kennels
Just curious. Have you gotten any stud requests from him or do you plan on pairing him up with any of your girls (I'm not sure if you have more. I'm only aware of two; Nami and Alice) or do you plan on using him later on in the futre and if so, what are the qualities you are looking for in a bitch to compliment him? Also, will he continue showing, any plans for the big named shows (The Garden, National Dog Show, etc) I know he is still quite young and needs some maturing (I think you said something about that in old post). But like I said, I'm very curious. ..

I ask a lot of questions. As I plan on getting a show pup (sadly no matter how much I love your dogs. Irish setters aren't for me) and starting my own line of ECS. But it will be about 3+ years before that happens and I dont plan to be lazy between that time. I've been reading a lot of books and researching and asking questions is a part of that.

Anyway enough of me taking. Thanks!

Shadowstorm.

I don't mind at all answering any and all questions! happy :) I have had a couple stud requests on Tristan. Since he is not yet two, I am holding off though until he has permanent health testing completed. He's already frozen though. I did that preemptively before I sent him off with Monica -- just in case. I have no plans to use him right now. Perhaps if Alice gives me a daughter (or granddaughter) that would work with him, I would definitely consider it. Right now, though, Alice is the only intact bitch I have. Nami is spayed and I have no plans on investing in a bitch puppy at this point. Crossing fingers, toes and paws that I can get something from Alice next year!

As for future big shows for Tristan. Eukanuba -- judge not good for him. National dog show -- doubt Monica will be going to those shows. The Garden -- not sure yet. Vague enough?! laugh :D He really does need to mature mentally a lot before thinking about specialing him heavily.

Like I said, feel free to ask questions. I love Engies and wish you the best with them! Make sure you know the standard well and invest in a good bitch to start with and be prepared to pay stud fees that might make your eyes pop out just to get the pedigree and structural compliment you need to go forward with. There is nothing more rewarding, though to think "this is a line I created -- now, where to go from here?!" Honestly, it's exciting and scary all at the same time. Be prepared to lose puppies, that's a given. Breeding can be so heartbreaking, not to mention the lack of sleep, frustration with all the work from poop to destructive puppies. But it is soooo worth it!!!! happy :) Good luck!

Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 3:34:26 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I don't mind at all answering any and all questions! happy :) I have had a couple stud requests on Tristan. He is not yet two, I am holding off though until he has permanent health testing completed. He's already frozen though. I did that preemptively before I sent him off with Monica -- just in case. I have no plans to mate him right now. Perhaps if Alice gives me a daughter (or granddaughter) that would work with him, I would definitely consider it. Right now, though, Alice is the only intact bitch I have. Nami is spayed and I have no plans on investing in a bitch puppy at this point. Crossing fingers, toes and paws that I can get something from Alice next year!

As for future big shows for Tristan. Eukanuba -- judge not good for him. National dog show -- doubt Monica will be going to those shows. The Garden -- not sure yet. Vague enough?! laugh :D He really does need to mature mentally a lot before thinking about specialing him heavily.

Like I said, feel free to ask questions. I love Engies and wish you the best with them! Make sure you know the standard well and invest in a good bitch to start with and be prepared to pay stud fees that might make your eyes pop out just to get the pedigree and structural compliment you need to go forward with. There is nothing more rewarding, though to think "this is a line I created -- now, where to go from here?!" Honestly, it's exciting and scary all at the same time. Be prepared to lose puppies, that's a given. Breeding can be so heartbreaking, not to mention the lack of sleep, frustration with all the work from poop to destructive puppies. But it is soooo worth it!!!! happy :) Good luck!

Oh. I wasn't aware that you are planning on breeding Alice. I thought maybe you would finish her first. She only has one single left right? Have you started looking for any boys yet (I know it willbe a years time before that happens, but its worth to look now huh?

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I know what I'm getting into (but its worth it). I've gotten quite obessed with the show dog world since I was ten and read countless of books on whelping, puppies, dogs in general. So I guess I know what to do in that scenerio. But its nothing compare to when it actually happen. Who knows? I'll just have to wait until that first litter... But, also I know that I will be spending some huge chunk of cash and I'm prepared. I just started researching on Engines (as a kid I had no idea what breed I wanted, I knew that it had to look like Lady from Lady in the Tramp. But I didn't know there was so many different spaniels, lol) Standard and looking at different lines. The Britain lines of Engines are much more heavier, cobby, and no exaggeration (which I like) and American lines of Engines are much more fine, longer, and elegant (which I like, but sometimes it ends up looking more settery then a cocker) and my goal is to combine both to get more of a balanced dog.

Does this happen with Irish Setters? That there are huge differences between breeders here and across the pond.

Shadowstorm.
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 3:37:13 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

That was me. Timed out.
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2013 4:16:05 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

posted by
I don't mind at all answering any and all questions! happy :) I have had a couple stud requests on Tristan. He is not yet two, I am holding off though until he has permanent health testing completed. He's already frozen though. I did that preemptively before I sent him off with Monica -- just in case. I have no plans to mate him right now. Perhaps if Alice gives me a daughter (or granddaughter) that would work with him, I would definitely consider it. Right now, though, Alice is the only intact bitch I have. Nami is spayed and I have no plans on investing in a bitch puppy at this point. Crossing fingers, toes and paws that I can get something from Alice next year!

Oh. I wasn't aware that you are planning on breeding Alice. I thought maybe you would finish her first. She only has one single left right? Have you started looking for any boys yet (I know it willbe a years time before that happens, but its worth to look now huh?

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I know what I'm getting into (but its worth it). I've gotten quite obessed with the show dog world since I was ten and read countless of books on whelping, puppies, dogs in general. So I guess I know what to do in that scenerio. But its nothing compare to when it actually happen. Who knows? I'll just have to wait until that first litter... But, also I know that I will be spending some huge chunk of cash and I'm prepared. I just started researching on Engines (as a kid I had no idea what breed I wanted, I knew that it had to look like Lady from Lady in the Tramp. But I didn't know there was so many different spaniels, lol) Standard and looking at different lines. The Britain lines of Engines are much more heavier, cobby, and no exaggeration (which I like) and American lines of Engines are much more fine, longer, and elegant (which I like, but sometimes it ends up looking more settery then a cocker) and my goal is to combine both to get more of a balanced dog.

Does this happen with Irish Setters? That there are huge differences between breeders here and across the pond.

Shadowstorm.

Alice is finished now. I must have been too excited to post -- she finished the same day Tristan won the group. Minor detail. razz :p wink ;) laugh :D happy :) We have pretty much decided on a boy for her, but we do have backups. That's always wise to have when your main stud dog is out of state. Depending on when she comes in, we may drive her to him or ship fresh chilled. I am soooo excited about the boy I picked for her. The pedigree and structure compliments beautifully.

As far as differences in style of IS world wide -- YES! First, even here in the country the dogs bred for field trials don't look anything like our bench setters. They look much like a large solid red Brittany. Not to my taste at all. There is a big movement to breed a "dual" dog, but those dogs are generally bench bred dogs with amazing field skills -- I have huge respect for the breeders and owners that endeavor to do that. Very time consuming and expensive. Bearing in mind that field trials and hunt tests are two different things, I have been to hunt tests (not with my dogs), and hunt tests are fun and the titles very attainable for a bench bred dog. It's on my bucket list! happy :)

Oh, back to the world scene. You will see that North American and Australian (and some New Zealand) lines are very similar due to import/export between the countries, and, on the whole, the dogs look a lot alike. However, generally, if you took an Irish "red setter" and an American "Irish setter" and put them next to each other, you would think you are looking at two different breeds of dogs. That pretty much applies for all European countries where American and Australian stock and semen have not been imported. The "red setters" are smaller, very straight, with rounded croups and heavier heads. American and Australian dogs tend to be bigger, with more angle, hard toplines, narrower heads and a more racy outline. Just to be brief in comparison -- I could go on and on. Lets not even get into the grooming differences!!!!! Anyway, hope that answers your question. Feel free to ask away if you have more! happy :)

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.