Search

.com Forum · Basenji

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Quick Question
 Pink Tape
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/8/2013 6:10:30 PM reply with quote send message to Pink Tape Object to Post   

Why are the stud dog fees so high? Defiantly since they Produce small litters and even if you got all champions you would never make that money back. I feel that if the stud fees were dropped that they would be more competition in the field Basenji's. This is just my personal opinion but I wanted to know why people raise the price so much(:
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/8/2013 6:12:35 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

To 100? Because you can't make a living getting 25 bucks a litter when you have a large kennel, and those studs deserve to be higher priced if they're higher quality.
 Pink Tape
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2013 3:27:50 AM reply with quote send message to Pink Tape Object to Post

But why 400? It limits the pool of genes. I understand the low stud fees don't give extra money but if all the high quality dogs are super expensive for stud use, then everyone who does now own that dog, will continue to have medium quality litters, reducing the growth SOP of the breed
 awballen
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2013 4:23:49 AM reply with quote send message to awballen Object to Post

It seems cheaper to purchase a good dog than to use one as a stud.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/12/2013 2:32:00 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

posted by awballen
It seems cheaper to purchase a good dog than to use one as a stud.
If you can, that is. I know I wish that I could keep more studs, because you could pay $100 for a good stud, and that would be equal to 4 $25 uses, 2 $50 uses, or 1 $100. So, depending on what he would go for, you've paid for him pretty quick.

BTW, I keep mine at $25 for unfinished, $50 for finished/extremely high SOP. And generally, they're all at $25, because I'm lazyrazz :p

Alexandria
 awballen
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2013 12:42:19 PM reply with quote send message to awballen Object to Post

Alexandra,

I am new to the game, however, up until this year I was the #1 or #2 Basenji breeder in Brazil for the past 4 years. I always tried to keep the number of studs below 4. I used to have about 25 bitches. Is that a good number in this game? I, unfortunately, had to move back to the UK for work and ended up finding homes for all my dogs except for 3 that are still with my handler in Brazil.

Take care
 Yuki Siouxie
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 10:18:47 PM reply with quote send message to Yuki Siouxie Object to Post

I don't think there is any right or wrong number of studs or bitches to have in this game.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2013 2:39:19 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

posted by Yuki Siouxie
I don't think there is any right or wrong number of studs or bitches to have in this game.
There isn't. I've had funky "non-balancing" things. Back when I started source color breeding LH/SH Dachshunds, there were so few studs in those coats, I had to keep a bunch (had 12 at one point), just to make sure I didn't have a problem with COI. Nowadays, I still have more than most people, but only 6 right now...Source and regular.

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.