.com Forum · Dachshund

Replies in this thread : 63
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2013 6:23:34 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Just as a FYI, my 88.10 SH boy and Cream Sable LH boy are both up for stud now! happy :)
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2013 11:18:07 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

You guys, we now outnumber WH on the stud list! There are 18 LH/SH studs and 14 WH. Finally!

Okay, that was a weird brag...but still, when we started out, we were like 4 to 12 or so...

Alexandria
 Anemois
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2013 4:20:28 PM reply with quote send message to Anemois Object to Post

Unfortunately, no Brindles from my two source girls :/ Major disappointment, but oh well..

Alexandria-

I noticed that too! It's great in some ways, but for the WH breeders, it can be a pain in the neck to stay below 15 COI....
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/30/2013 4:53:44 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

Well, your post realized I forgot to put two WH studs up in this account laugh :D lol but yes, LH/SH breeders have much more cooperation it seems! Lots of studs and interbreeding going on happy :) In wires, I have been around long enough to be able to breed fairly well on my own, but I am loving this extra collaboration in the other varieties!

Em
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/1/2013 11:10:51 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Brindle is very hard to breed. I was lucky to get the ones I did get. Wait for the next generation (if you don't have a problem with over-running your kennel...I have to FH every day...) and then breed them to each other if you can. If you used a different stud, and they're source anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with inbreeding. You might even have brindle just crop up, since brindle does carry.

Alexandria
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2013 4:41:08 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hey, guys, Dibella bred the new highest SOP SH out of my Amethyst TwinkleLuckyStar!!! 88.60! We're really happenin'.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12664348

ETA: And then just imagine my surprise when I opened what I thought would be a mediocre litter of LH...and saw this 88.50 LH girl!

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12664186

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 10/7/2013 5:02:50 PM
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2013 9:19:07 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

Wow Alexandria, I just noticed that! We are making progress in all three varieties! I just had the 91+ wire born tonight (or at least I think): www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12664898.

Waiting on some more LH and SH litters to see what pops up! I've been doing more trait breedings lately, though.

Em
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2013 9:37:32 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Once my account becomes premium again I'm going to begin breeding wheatons and brindles! Cannot wait to get started!
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2013 9:37:32 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Once my account becomes premium again I'm going to begin breeding wheatons and brindles! Cannot wait to get started!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2013 3:54:55 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Brindle studs up!

39.95 Red Brindle LH
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12604110

19.45 Red Brindle SH
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12604111

Alexandria
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 10:03:28 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Anyone interested in a B&T Brindle boy? I got Brindles in this litter, including a Chocolate & Tan Brindle boy and a Red Brindle girl happy :)

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12697134
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2013 11:15:09 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

I'm officially joining the breed! I'm starting with a little brindle work but primarily focussing on breeding up Wheatons and a little later Red Sable.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2013 11:13:18 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Welcome! Right now, y'all, I've realized I've been focusing on SOP...and not so much color...brindles are HARD to breed...

Alexandria
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2013 12:05:17 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Welcome! Let me know if you need some stock since this kennel is always on the verge of having too many dogs razz :p lol! I have been breeding mainly for traits in some of my low 80 dogs, SOP in the higher ones, and just recently started actually getting Brindles. I have another Brindle breeding due soon out of two Brindle parents!
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2013 5:53:52 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

I was looking at some color stuff, so brindle dominates e but is masked by E, right? So only eebr and ebrebr show the brindle, right (just phenotypes, not genotypes)?

Are there any colors that will have ee 100% of the time?

It appears that blue and tan, Wheaton, and red sable all need reviving, in addition to brindles.

Sorry for all the questions...I just want to be sure to get my facts straight right away.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2013 6:12:41 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I believe so. Emi?

And yes, if you ever need a color, a pattern, whatever, let me know. I can't stay under my limit and these are good dogs I'm FHing nearly everyday! If you tell me, I'll be on the lookout for it.wink ;)

Alexandria
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 2:06:38 AM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Yup, for the phenotype, eEBr and EbrEbr are the only two that will express brindle. Of course, most (if not all, I haven't thoroughly gone through yet) colors/patterns can have either one of these alleles and pass it on to their offspring, which could theoretically end up being recessive brindles!

ETA my most recent brindle litter is a result of this recessive allele popping up on the mother's side. From a litter of five puppies, three of them were brindles of some sort, even though their mother was a red. However, she carried for brindle through her sire and was bred to a brindle, so the two alleles matched up fairly well. The surprising part was where the chocolate & tan came from! There ended up being some chocolate through the dam's side a few generations back, so recessive alleles can be passed on for a while until they match up correctly. And here I was just hoping for red brindles lol.

-----
Last edited by Vivente on 10/24/2013 2:06:51 AM

-----
Last edited by Vivente on 10/24/2013 2:10:53 AM
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 2:16:14 AM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

It appears that blue and tan, Wheaton, and red sable all need reviving, in addition to brindles.

In reference to this, I found a wheaten brood in Icebreaker Kennel's account. I got a wildboar to to help revive those from her, and I believe he had a wheaten sire. She had a couple, but this was the only one left in her kennel: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12354286

Blue & tan is actually fairly common in wires, since I have a couple in my Amoroso account and do have some in here in both LH/SH. They actually aren't too hard to get with the black & tans happy :)

I've been getting some cream sables, which could produce red sables if bred the right way. Were you the one that asked about my cream sable bitch a while ago before she was breeding age and I wanted to get one breeding from her at least? If so, she is bred and you could have her once she has whelped!

Hopefully that helps happy :)
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 8:42:01 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Yes, I asked about the cream sable.

Thanks for the link, I just bought her as she is for sale.

That brood changes things so I need to reconsider my breeding program, it'll be a whole lot easier to revive.

I still would like to lease the cream sable bitch after she has whelped, but to revive red sable rather than wheaton.

I found an old Wheaton stud, but he's $150 stud fee. I'm going to try and find another stud, or else I can either do a few cream crosses. Multiple cream crosses definitely would take longer, but be cheaper. Hmm, is there anybody who would want to add a Wheaton to their lines?

What you said about finding a chocolate and tan reminds me of when I was in Chinese Cresteds. White is SwSw and there was some white on the mother's side like 5 generations back and like 3 generations back on the father's side. I found a single white puppy in a litter, I had to go back and adjust countless genotypes, lol
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 10:49:01 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I have 2 red sables or maybe 3, so the color is there. Actually, mine came from Vivente and have been the the highest SOP source animals I've gotten. So, I'm probably gonna have red sable breeding either this week or next, if you're interested in onewink ;)

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 63
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.