Search

.com Forum · Dachshund

Replies in this thread : 63
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 10:52:03 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

And correct me if I'm wrong, but cream is wheaton in LH & SH, right? I'm pretty sure it is. Could you possible do cream LH/SH to WH (maybe a blk&cr or a cr point) and get wheaton? I was thinking about doing that myself, but haven't yet.

Alexandria
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/24/2013 11:58:40 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

All my sables:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12665938
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12660138
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12665939

And Anemois has one of mine she's leasing, it's a red sable.

Alexandria
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/25/2013 12:07:00 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Disclaimer: I'm fairly certain I have this right, but I could be completely wrong. So, hopefully this is correct but if not, you didn't hear it from me wink ;)

From what I understand, the only loci that mater are C, a, and W.
You probably know most of this but I'll reiterate it;
Cream in WH is called Wheaton (don't know why), so you can cross creams and wires and end up wih wheatons.
However, I'm fairly certain that the C loci is only crucial in creams, reds, and wheatons (there's a good chance this is totally wrong) So if you're lucky to get a red WH with CCh, great. But a red WH with CCh is probably the product of a WH and a cream or Wheaton. They aren't the rarest color but cream does seen to be behind the top colors.

So, unless you had a dog with CCch W_ or CChCch W_ it would take multiple generations (as far as I can tell)
The majorty of red WH are probably CC W_ unless they have cream or wheaton ancestors.
So you could breed a cream, CchCch ww, to a red WH, CC W_
The offspring would then be Cch Ww or CCch ww (depending on if it's WW or Ww).
Any of the WH's can then be bred to another with CchCch W_ or Cch W_ and produce Wheaton.

Courtesy of the how to breed guide:
Wheaton "recipe"
At least one as
At least one W
Two Cch

ETA: I'm on my mobile so sorry for any typos and any other errors.

-----
Last edited by linlin23 on 10/25/2013 12:08:29 AM
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
10/27/2013 9:19:07 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

That looks about right to me. Wheaton is a dilution of red so it is recessive, but will pop back up again if bred the right way (shouldn't have FHed my wildboar I got from Icebreaker that had a wheaton mother a couple months ago, since he could have most likely produced some wheatons).

FYI my cream sable bitch is due to whelp at 1 am or so tonight...after that, I'll put her up for you to buy happy :) I'm overflowing with dogs again! haha
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2013 7:16:45 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12713984 New highest SOP LH, a stud this time! (sorry for the delayed update!)

Alexandria
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2013 7:19:20 PM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post

Wow! Congrats! He is a beautiful boy! Pretty soon your long hairs are going to be winning BOB over the wire haired.
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2013 1:56:09 AM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Congrats! Nice boy! happy :)

I also got the second highest SOP SH today...if it weren't for that dang SS, he would be the highest by quite a bit! .05 off isn't too shabby and he is a stud, too! Here he is: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12724849

-----
Last edited by Vivente on 11/5/2013 1:56:27 AM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2013 11:08:50 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Thanks to both of you.

SS really ruins it! Congrats on him anyways, Emi!

I really hated when I found out that an 87.40 would've been a 89.10 if she'd had perfect SS. That would've been sooooo cool to have an 89 in LH...

Haha, Selma, I hope so!

Y'all realize that LH (and I *think* SH, but don't quote me on that) were finishable at one point in time? I almost finished a red one (he was one point shy) about 2 years ago.

Alexandria
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2013 2:34:29 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Yeah, he would be a 89.25 if it weren't for SS :P

LHs and SHs are getting there! I think all three varieties were competitive, but since WH is dominant, the other two were bred out when people weren't paying attention to coat types.
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2013 2:34:30 PM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

double post...

-----
Last edited by Vivente on 11/5/2013 2:44:27 PM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2013 5:39:57 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

And we lost several of our breeders too. Kirschen, Starlight Dachshunds, Tru_Dachsie (although Marina's come back), and I think NOVAPhoenix or something like that. Carolyn I know doesn't breed anything but WH. It's fine. If only we could convince the Wire breeders to slow downwink ;) lol.

Alexandria
 Vivente
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2013 9:36:27 AM reply with quote send message to Vivente Object to Post

Yeah, well we will get there happy :) Especially since I got the new highest SH SOP today: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12731965&pic=yes&e=e. So excited!!! Next step is to break into the 89s happy :)
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2013 6:36:02 PM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post

Congrats! laugh :D I will be looking out for some if her offspring!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2013 8:15:46 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Yes, definitely congrats, Emi! Nicely done...we'll catch up to those WH pretty soon!

Alexandria
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/9/2013 9:34:06 PM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post

I have a bunch of nice stock up for sale. All is $100, no approval and would make some great additions to kennels. I also got a great 88.30 SH boy, and a beautiful 84.30 Wildboar bitch. Anyways I have 87 LH, and some SH ranging from 84 - 86. Also have a litter due to drop later this evening that should produce some good stock.
Might be something to check out!
Selma
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2013 7:33:01 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

My Wheaton litter is here! My wifi had been awful so I haven't been on much lately, but I'm going to get myself organized as soon as I have reliable wifi.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/11/2013 11:38:48 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/12/2013 12:40:29 AM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

Yay! I need to improve my LHs, so I'll be buying at least one happy :)

Also, if you guys want some more WHs to show, I just had an amazing litter! I have my keeper, but there is still another 91.05 and 90.35 up for grabs on the sale page!
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/12/2013 10:36:13 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

New highest LH! Not quite an 89, but we're getting there...

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12741878

ETA: I was getting downright selfish with my LH, but now that I'm only keeping 88s (except for color breeding), I thought I should sharewink ;). If y'all EVER want one of my dogs or a nice SOP or a particular color, just let me know. I often forget that there are others who might be interested in something I might FH.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 11/12/2013 10:38:58 AM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/12/2013 12:32:26 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Also this girl:

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=12586382

She's only 87.40, but has produced several 88s paired with the right male (yes I know there are some 86s on there, she was bred to a lesser stud for the red color). If anybody's interested, offer, if not, I may keep her for one more breeding.

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 63
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class