Search

.com Forum · Lhasa Apso

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : MASKED LHASAS!
 linlin23
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/15/2013 10:13:48 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post   

On my basic account, 1j2e3f, I got two lhasa starter boys with MASKS, a dead color gene. On this account I will be color breeding as soon as I sell some of my Newfies. The boys will be up for stud in 5 days. I plan on putting them at stud for $50. They are only starter quality, but they're the only living masked lhasas from what I can tell.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2013 10:23:05 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Also, sorry for the shouting title. As a color breeder this excites me!
 Mistiel
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2013 11:34:19 PM reply with quote send message to Mistiel Object to Post

I have a girl and two boys with masks. happy :) Didn't know this was a dead gene.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
9/16/2013 8:59:12 AM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Really? I spend about two weeks in the breed, looking for the phantom masked gene.

Once I get rid of some Newfies and get my account back to premium I'll be color breeding.
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2013 10:31:49 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

From my observations Parti and Red colored lhasas are pretty much nonexistent, but the genes are there. White and black tans are uncommon, but present.

OTOH, mask carriers can only come from other mask carriers. So if there aren't any masks or mask carriers, they cannot be bred. And outside of source dogs and their immediate offspring there aren't any masks.
 Mistiel
Basic User

Basic User
9/19/2013 2:24:52 AM reply with quote send message to Mistiel Object to Post

Oh, I haven't looked much at current SOP dogs. Since Lhasas seemed like such a dead breed, I just dug right on in without worrying about colors. I do have some parti, white, and black and tan. And I happen to have a red girl. All of them are offspring of starters though. I do have studs up and will put them up as they come of age.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.