Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Experience with Puppy Bites?
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/15/2013 3:21:39 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post   

So miss Gilly is turning out nicely, love her markings, topline, rear, neck, front cleaned up nicer than I thought it would, and she has excellent ear shape, size, and placement. My husband is in love with with this puppy and has decided that after being dragged to shows and "forced" to help handle, she is going to be HIS show dog. BUT, her bite is all out of sorts. Both mom and dad had nice scissors bites, as well as those before them. Her premolars are lined up point to point, and she has a slight under bite, which caused her bottom canines to force the outermost upper incisors to grow forward completely horizontally. I've been watching her teeth come in and keeping an eye on her bite since 6 weeks. She's about 10 1/2 weeks now and still the same.

My question is: How much of a chance do we have of this sorting itself out? It is my general understanding that undershot bites generally only get worse and more pronounced as a dog ages, but I don't know if anyone has experienced otherwise. Aside from the undershot bite, is there much a chance the other adult teeth will come in okay? I'm just a bit alarmed and how those incisors got pushed outward. I know so much of this is wait and see, but I'd like to be able to prepare hubby for disappointment. Not sure how much he could do, but we do actually have a veterinary dentist not far from us! wink ;)

Thanks!
Lisa
 Slipping Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 3:23:16 PM reply with quote send message to Slipping Shadows Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Suppose I should note that the breed is Papillon in case anyone didn't know happy :)
ETA: I also thought I should add if she were to need any dental work, it would simply be for her comfort and not to alter her bite to show her. Like I said, the horizontal incisors are kind of alarming, and I certainly don't want her to be uncomfortable if anything were to develop when her adult teeth come in.

-----
Last edited by Slipping Shadows on 12/15/2013 3:40:26 PM
 Jumping Jacks of Glory
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 3:50:38 PM reply with quote send message to Jumping Jacks of Glory Object to Post

I'm not very well informed about this topic but like you said a lot of it is wait and see. Speaking to that dental vet about it may be a good idea to see if it could have any effect on her as an adult. Would you be able to get some photos up of her teeth so we can get a better understanding?

Jamie
 Jumping Jacks of Glory
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 3:50:50 PM reply with quote send message to Jumping Jacks of Glory Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Oops sorry double post happy :)

-----
Last edited by Jumping Jacks of Glory on 12/15/2013 3:51:09 PM
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 4:16:13 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

She's 10 and a half weeks old?

I have big breeds, but I wouldn't worry about it until her adult teeth come in.
 Dandy Dandies
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2013 11:15:06 PM reply with quote send message to Dandy Dandies Object to Post

I don't have any Toy dog experience and have never had a puppy with the problems you are describing sad :(. As a rule, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until she changes teeth, but hopefully she has a large enough jaw to accommodate the larger adult teeth. Thinking good thoughts for you ...

Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2013 8:56:42 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

How do the bites progress in her lines? What was the bites like at 8 weeks? I have larger breeds. If the bite was good at 8 weeks and the lines are good for bites, it will be fine when the dog is an adult even if it shifts around. (In my breeds heads are not finished until 3-4 years old.) However if the bite is fine at 8 weeks, but the lines are not strong for producing good teeth, it can be a crap shot if the bite starts moving around.

Check with breed on how bites progress in the line you have.
 Cornus
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2013 8:58:57 AM reply with quote send message to Cornus Object to Post

Very annoying. Won't let me edit my post and fix spelling. But I hope you were able to read through my errors.....

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.